Blue Meringues

ceila, Feb 12, 4:15am
I want to make blue meringues if I put blue food colouring into the mix will it still work or would it be too heavy for the egg whites? ?

letitia, Feb 12, 5:17am
My mother used to make pink meringues many years ago. I think she used a small drop of cochineal (red colouring). They were pale pink meringues. I suppose you can only try with a tiny drop of food colouring and see what happens - risky though. As long as it's not oily or greasy, because a small speck of egg yolk makes it impossible to beat egg whites till thick & fluffy. Hopefully someone else can be more helpful.

pam.delilah, Feb 12, 5:27am
x1
yes you can, just use a few drops

Blue Meringues
Ingredients
6 egg whites
2 cups caster sugar
1 tsp vanilla essence
1 tsp malt vinegar
1 tsp cornflour
Blue food colouring
Whipped cream to serve
Method
In a large bowl (not plastic) beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually, add the caster sugar very slowly. The mixture should be getting thick with each addition. The whole sugar adding process should take at least 10 minutes. Beat in the essence, vinegar and cornflour. , using a few drops of food colouring, colour the mixture. Spoon mixture onto a baking paper covered tray. Bake in a low 110 to 120°C oven for 45 minutes. The meringues should lift off the paper easily. Cool on a wire rack

jag5, Feb 12, 7:34am
Easy as... ... beat 3-4 egg whites till stiff, add 1 box of jelly, little at a time, (so would use blue jelly) until disolved, spoon out and cook as usual.

huntlygirl, Aug 5, 2:05pm
I add hundreds and thousands to mine to make them multi coloured.