Has anybody got any recipes for chillies.

dragonlady65, Apr 6, 12:58am
chutneys, sauces, pickles etc, my hubby likes it hot hot hot, I on the other hand like it mild

2halls, Apr 6, 2:30am
This recipe is from NZ House and Garden. It is delicious.

Tomato-Chilli Jam
(Peter Gordon)

3 red chillies, seeded and finely sliced
500g very ripe tomatoes,peeled and diced (or 400g tin plum tomatoes, chopped)
4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely sliced
2 thumbs ginger, peeled and julienned
25ml nam pla (Thai fish sauce)
300g caster sugar
100ml red wine vinegar

Put everything into a deep pot and bring to the boil slowly, stirring all the time.
Turn to a gentle simmer, skim off any foam and cook gently for 40-50 minutes until jam-like in consistency, stirring every 5 minutes to release the solids from the bottom. Scrape the sides of the pot during cooking so the entire mass cooks evenly.
Pour into warmed glass jars and cool to room temperature before storing in the refrigerator or a cold larder.

Makes 1 1/2 - 2 cups

buzzy110, Apr 6, 2:36am
I know there are not many chillies in this but I have made it and it is very moreish. It is not my recipe btw. It was originally posted by evorotorua so if you want to thank anyone, thank her.

Remember to read the notes. They are important.

LEMON PICKLE
3 Lemons - washed and thinly sliced
1 small Onion -finely sliced
2 tspns Vegetable Oil
1 tspn Salt
1 tspn Chilli Flakes,
¾ cup Caster Sugar,
1 cup White Wine Vinegar
Method
1 Blanch lemons three times in pots of boiling water
2 In a heavy based pot on low heat, sweat the onions until transparent
3 Add chilli and cook for 3 minutes being careful not to let it brown
4 Add lemon, sugar and vinegar, bring to the boil and gently cook for 1/2 hour until syrupy
5 Pour into sterilised jars
6 Makes around 400-500 mls (I think)
NOTES: to the lemon pickle recipeThats the recipe I got. I made some notes to go with it! I used three lemons and sliced them thinly. I cut them in half first and got out the seeds, then sliced. The way I blanched them was to put them in a pot of cold water and brought that to the boil, then drained and covered with cold water again, bring back to the boil and then drained and covered with cold water and brought back to the boil ie three times and then drained quickly. My friend did the traditional quick blanching and her pickle was a little bitter. Once blanched the three times, I quickly whizzed them in the food processor before I put them in with the onion. This will give a more pickle/chutney texture.
(evorotorua)

niffer13, Apr 6, 3:48am
Sweet Chilli Sauce
1 cup fresh red chillies [ I have the small bell chilly growing which are not very hot & use all the seeds however you may want to remove some of the seeds if using a hotter chilly]
8 small cloves garlic
2 inches ginger
2 cups cider vinegar [ I some times use white vinegar]
2.5 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
Zap chilli, ginger, garlic in whiz.
Add vinegar salt & sugar. Boil til thick. I use apple or plums or choko to thicken then you dont need to boil so long. Much nicer that the bought sauce.

samanya, Apr 6, 6:58am
I like the sound of that . but I note that you use chilli flakes . I have many real red chillis ready right now (no idea what type, long slender numbers), so how many would you suggest I use for this pickle?

samanya, Apr 6, 7:01am
I will be definitely trying your recipe . got it filed already.
thanks for sharing it

dragonlady65, Apr 6, 8:13am
thanks guys looks like i might be busy trying out recipes this weekend they all sound good thanks

buzzy110, Apr 7, 5:17am
I used a whole chilli. I grew the really hot ones and one was sufficient for the amount of pickle. You just have to be skilled at cutting it all up into the tiniest, of tiniest pieces. My small blender didn't touch it and the skins are quite tough I found so I used my knife made for me by a maker of samurai swords which slices through chilli like butter and basically minced it. I removed the seeds.

bev00, Oct 28, 5:44pm
for chilli lovers