Making tortilla's

janny3, Feb 12, 3:43am
Thank you lala2. Mine have been failures so I suspect its the standing/ resting time. Next time I'm game I will try this. THANKS

rchelley, Feb 13, 5:57am
Has anyone tried using a bench top pizza cooker or sandwich press to cook these? I have been thinking about trying to make these for a while

ange164, Feb 14, 5:21am
Things I've learned:
Cooking them for too long will dry them out too much - and they'll crack.
Making them too thin will allow them to dry more than preferable - and they'll crack.
Storing them in anything that's not airtight will dry them out - and they'll crack.
LOL.
My sister says she let her's stand for about 45 mins one day and it made a big difference to how soft they were, even the next day. Try standing the mix for longer.
You could try making these thicker chewier Lebanese flat breads instead; They work beautifully every time. I dry fry them the same as tortillas. And don't bother with the manooshe sesame seed topping.
http://www.tasteofbeirut.com/2009/09/manooshe-zaatar-on-the-saj-or-bbq-grill/

ange164, Feb 14, 5:21am
Yes, I tried a sandwich press, it made it go like a hard cracker.

ballito, Feb 14, 8:18am
This is the recipe I use. Never buy them these days. They never dry out.

2 cups of flour
1 tsp salt
1/4 cup oil
2/3 cup warm water

Sift flour and salt. Add oil and water and mix to form dough. Knead for about 10 mins to smooth ball. Rest covered with damp cloth. Divide into 10 pieces. On floured surface with floured rolling pin roll into thin circles. Heat frying pan or BBQ plate and cook for about a minute each side.

wheelz, Feb 14, 8:45am
Aaah. I wonder if it's the oil instead of butter that does the trick?!

bev00, Feb 14, 11:27am
making from scratch

aktow, Feb 14, 2:30pm
Ingredients:
3 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
4 to 6 tablespoons lard or vegetable shortening
1 1/4 cups warm water (approximate)

wildflower, Feb 15, 1:58am
I've made my own flour and corn ones but you can't beat the Homebrand ones from Countdown as mentioned above for fast and easy on weeknights and I freeze them into meal size amounts.

1buzemum, May 28, 12:32am
My kids have taken to having wraps for lunch, so last night I made tortilla's they looked really good but this morning when I put the filling in and went to roll it up it seamed to crack more than roll.

I used Annabel Langbein's recipe
3 1/3 C Flour
1 tsp Salt
1/2 tap baking Powder
1/2 C oil
1 C very hot water.

Does anyone have any suggestions or different recipe they have used.
I am wondering if I rolled them too thin, but they do seam ok when they are flat.

kirmag, May 28, 12:42am
Were you rolling them cold?

We had burittos last night. I laughed at the Mr trying to roll his without it cracking when making his. I showed him how to do it when I made mine, I always heat it in the mircrowave first, 30secs for 2 - they don't crack when a lil heated up.

Try that maybe and hopefully it works.

kirmag, May 28, 12:45am
Altho they will probably crack when they eat them at lunch time but then they will have gladwrap around them to hold them together perhaps. if these are for school lunches.

1buzemum, May 28, 12:50am
Thanks kirmag I will do that with tomorrow's lot ;-) the difficulty was getting from the breadboard to the gladwrap lol, My boys weren't too bothered . one remark was "it is worse when it's digested! "

As it looks like I will be making these for quite some time I do want to sort it out. I'll let you know how tomorrow's warmed ones go :-)

kirmag, May 28, 3:17am
No worries 1buzemum. May I ask what the method is for cooking the above recipe? Might give making them a go myself.

janny3, May 29, 1:15am
I love this recipe too. Thanks!

lala2, May 29, 4:14am
This is the recipe that I always use and have used them for school lunches the next day.
1 1/2c white flour
3/4c wholemeal flour
salt to taste
75g butter
1cup boiling water

Rub butter into flour and salt. Add boiling water, knead till soft and set aside for half hour. knead again until soft.Roll out into ping-pong sized balls, roll out very thin on a floured board. Heat pan to medium heat place cook until it bubbles, turn and lightly cook other side, no extra oil or butter needed in pan. Keep warm between a clean tea towel.

1buzemum, Jun 8, 10:58am
Thanks lala2
I will give these a go for Monday lunch. I emailed Anabel langbine 2 times and I have no answer back yet :-)

niffer13, Feb 24, 6:05pm
the home brand wraps are a good buy 15 for $4 & they keep well. We use these over the summer months. A bit hard to find in the super market think the are in the international section