Easy Fejoa Cake please

walker18, May 7, 10:57pm
I need to mix it by hand. I have plenty of walnuts but no coconut in the house.

davidt4, May 7, 11:31pm
This cake is very good made with feijoas

Fruit Purée Cake

500g cooked fruit: apple/peach/pear/apricot/rhuba-
rb/feijoa/mango
1 c. raisins
1 c. walnuts/pecans broken into quarters
125g butter
1 ½ c sugar
2 eggs
2 c. plain flour
1 ½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon/ginger/cardamom (as appropriate to fruit)

Set oven to 180 degrees C.
Butter and flour bundt tin or other ring tin.
Purée fruit while hot and add raisins. Allow to cool (or refrigerate overnight). Add nuts.
Sift flour, soda, salt and spice.
Cream butter and sugar, add eggs. Fold in alternately the flour and fruit mixtures in 3 parts.
Bake 50 – 60 minutes. Stand 10 min. before turning out.
Dust with icing sugar.

walker18, May 8, 12:01am
Thank You I will stew som fruit now

soundsie1, May 8, 12:37am
i just use the standard edmonds banana cake recipe. raw mashed fejoas and sultanas and little cinnamon instead of bananas (or you can use half and half). great in muffin tins too

walker18, May 9, 9:02pm
I made the first recipe .It was the nices cake other than Christmas cake I have ever made THANK YOU

davidt4, May 9, 9:34pm
Glad you enjoyed the cake, and thanks for the lovely feedback.

nauru, May 12, 11:42am
Feijoa & Orange Cake
100g butter, 1/2 cup sugar, 1 tablsp golden syrup, 1 egg, 1 teasp baking soda, 2 tablsp hot water, 13/4 cups flour, 2 teasp baking poder, 1 cup feijoa pulp, juice & rind 1 orange, 4 tablsp brown sugar.

Process butter & sugar until creamy. Add syrup and egg, beat well. Mix b/soda inwater and add to mixture and mix. Add flour, b/powder, orange rind and feijoa pulp and mix lightly. Put into prepd cake pan and bake @ 180C for 40 mins. Dissolve b/sugar in orange juice and spoon over cake, return to oven and bake a further 15 mins.
I usually bake this in a 20cm ring pan or sometimes in swiss roll tin and then cut into squares.

This site has a great feijoa recipe index too.
http://feijoafeijoa.wordpress.com

nzpcltd, May 12, 9:00pm
Instead of carrots I use a good cup to one cups of fiejoa pulp. it was beautiful
Fab Moist Large Carrot Cake(THE BEST EVER)
Whizz chop 3 med.carrots.
ADD:2 cups sugar,2 tsp.cinnamon,1 cup oil,4 eggs.
Whizz till well blended.
ADD;2 cups plain flour,2 tsp baking powder,1 tsp baking soda,1 tsp salt. Whizz again till well blended.
Pour into large lined cake tin.(makes a large 27 cm round cake-6 cm deep)Bake@150 degrees c. approx 1 hour.
Check with skewer.
Ice with Cream Cheese Icing when cold.
100grm Cream Cheese, 50g butter, 1tsp vanilla, 2 cups icing sugar. Soften Cr cheese & butter, whip till smooth. Add vanilla & icing sugar. Addition of either lemon or orange rind & juice lifts flavour. The BEST recipe I have ever had!

I have made it successfully with Gluten free flour. Also used egg substitute (so dairy, egg & GF) but it then cooks better in muffin pans or a ring tin. Obviously don't use cream cheese icing for dairy free! Nice with a lemon glaze though

toadfish, May 12, 9:36pm
Toadies Feijoa Loaf

Put the following in a large saucepan
1 cup chopped Feijoa's (scooped flesh chopped - no skins)
50g butter
1 cup boiling water
1 cup sugar
Bring to the Boil - Let cool

Add
2 Cup flour
1 teaspoon Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 egg

Cook for 45-60 mins at 180c

Be careful as this can get flour balls - make sure it is well mixed. I used electric beaters sometime .
I also make a double batch most times as it freezes beautifully and you can cut it from frozen. Delicious,
An added advantage is you mix it in the saucepan - so very little dishes to do.
I have made this loaf for years and its delicious - made it last night even lol.
When Feijoa's are plentiful I freeze the pulp in 1 cup lots - all chopped and ready to go - so we can have Feijoa Loaf all year around.

hd07, May 13, 4:17am
Love this recipe - BUT I tweaked it a bit. I found it had too much sugar with the natural sugar from the feijoas, so only did one cup of sugar (or just under) and added a teaspoon of baking powder to flour mix. Used very ripe feijoas and did a teaspoon of cinnamon and teaspoon of mixed spice. Also put some in a muffin tray, which came out lovely.

roket1, May 13, 7:10am

akl439, May 20, 12:02am
This is scrummy:

Feijoa & Apple Shortcake
1 cup flour
1 cup polenta
1 cup caster sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
150g butter
zest of 1 large lemon
1egg
Filling
1 1/2 cups granny smith, apples peeled and sliced
1 1/2 cups feijoas, peeled and sliced
dusting of caster sugar
Oven 180C
Use a brownie tin
Put flour, polenta, caster sugar, baking powder, butter, lemon zest and egg in a food processor and pulse until it resembles bread crumbs (mine didn't it was more moist). Spread half mix over base of tin and press gently
Arrange feijoa and apples slices on top and sprinkle with additional caster sugar to taste . Cover with remaining mixture and bake for 45 mins
Remove from oven, cool and chill in fridge before serving with yoghurt, cream mix

bev00, May 20, 8:38am
recycling while feijoas abound

mooshiesmum, May 21, 5:19am
I just found the loaf recipe from toadfish on foodlovers - was going to make it then thought I would check here to see if someone had a better one - now I know it must be good! mixture heating on the stove now - wish me luck! :-)

geldof, May 21, 5:37am
I make this and most of the time add ground ginger and crystalised ginger

mooshiesmum, May 21, 5:47am
I am doubling the recipe - going to add walnuts to the loaf and a lemon icing to the cake sized one - fingers crossed its all edible once I am done ;-)

toadfish, May 21, 6:37pm
I wonder where they get there recipes - I was given it by a friends mother about 20 years ago - Made it so many times everyone I know just refers to it a J's Delicious Fejoa loaf.

toadfish, May 21, 6:41pm
I have just planted 5 Fejoa trees around my water tank as a screen. I chose 5 different variety depending on there fruit size (hate small ones too fiddly so all large and Xlarge) and on when they fruit - I now should have a variety of Fejoas from Early March to late June.

griffo4, May 21, 10:07pm
l found your recipe on Miss Cookie Strikes again blog and the only difference is that you simmer the mix for about 5 minutes until it starts to go syrupy all the rest is the same
l will be trying your recipe when l get time l know it will be good

suda, May 24, 4:32am
Feijoa and date cake google it really easy.

spider47, May 24, 4:52am
I make a nice moist feijoa cake using a banana cake recipe but substitute the bananas with 4-6 feijoas. delicious with lemon icing.
The same recipe makes muffins. Don't overfill the tins or they swell up and overflow. So easy. Enjoy.

griffo4, May 25, 1:53am
Here is one from Annabelle White and it is very nice, l must make it again
l have just made Toadie's Loaf and it smells and looks really nice

Feijoa Cake, The best from Annabelle White

125g butter

200g sugar, (approx ¾ cup)

2 eggs

165g flour, (approx 1 1/3 cups)

2 teaspoons baking powder

1/3 teaspoon salt

30g ground almonds, (about 1 packet)

225g sour cream

1 teaspoon almond essence (optional)

Approx 500g ripe feijoas – skinned and cut in half or thirds

Topping

1 tablespoon demerara sugar or similar

1 teaspoon ground ginger or a good pinch

Oven 200C 22cm round tin

Cream butter and sugar very well

Beat in eggs one at a time until well combined, then lastly the essence

Sift the dry ingredients over mixture and add at the same time the sour cream and ground almonds

Fold in carefully until well combined, the mix is quite thick

Spoon into prepared tin and very lightly press in the cut fruit (cut side up)

The fruit should be quite crowded but in a single layer

Sprinkle demerara sugar/ginger evenly over fruit

Put cake in oven and reduce temperature to 180C

Bake for 50 minutes, turn oven off and leave in oven for an hour or overnight

helensville, Aug 5, 10:42am
I have made the above posted recipe of Annabel Whites .A lovely cake, although I prefer to just put a good pinch of ginger and not a teaspoon.