Mince on Toast / Savoury Mince

Page 2 / 2
matuq, Aug 7, 9:51pm
That's a good way. I separate the liquid and put in a bowl in the fridge - fat rises to the top and sets and then I remove it and put the liquid back with the mince. I've never been able to just cook mince and eat it - regardless of how much the package says it's low in fat.

kirmag, Aug 7, 10:35pm
Like it says in the recipe I posted. taking out the fat makes it less flavoursome.

herself, Aug 7, 10:48pm
Oh yum! Little pies! Good idea that I might just use this weekend. :)

rainrain1, Aug 7, 11:15pm
Wherever do you get such fatty mince from? Why don't you change your butcher?

sarahb5, Aug 8, 4:03am
I was once so paranoid about fat that I used to pre-cook mince in the microwave in a colander and let the fat collect under it but in taking out the fat you also seem to take out a lot of the flavour. It also seemed to make the fat incredibly tough and dry. Now I just dry fry it before cooking it with or for anything else and if a lot of fat collects in the pan I pour it off. I've still lost weight and the flavour stays in my food not down the sink.

cookessentials, Aug 8, 4:05am

cookessentials, Aug 8, 4:56am
My Mother used to do her lamb racks without the skin on to save the fat! I only ever cook them with the skin on, you need the skin and fat to flavour the meat and also give moistness.

katalin2, Aug 8, 11:55am
I ordered mince on toast at a cafe this week expecting mince in a rich brown gravy- well it was a very nice curried mince, totally the wrong colour and not the taste I was looking forward to. The menu description did not indicate that it would be anything but good old fashioned mince on toast. It did not come cheaply either.

sarahb5, Aug 8, 10:24pm
OMG I used to live in Kingston - and no, I don't put fat down the sink

gardie, Aug 9, 4:09am
500g mince browned with 1 chopped onion, 2 cloves garlic, 2 tsp wholeseed mustard, 2 tsp hoisin sauce, 1/4 tsp red curry paste, 1 crumbled oxo cube - add about 1/2 cup water and simmer for a couple of minutes then sprinkle over a bit of gravox/bisto to thicken. Yum. I made this the other day and its the best savoury mince I've made in 35 years!

cookessentials, Aug 9, 4:23am
How funny. Isn't it a gross story?

sarahb5, Aug 9, 6:04am
I'm very glad there weren't any pictures - it sounds disgusting doesn't it?

kirmag, Aug 9, 10:42pm
Gotta say people - made that recipe for dinner on Wednesday night (post #1) and it was delicious! Very yummy crummy full of flavour mince on toast.

Made pasties out of it last night, added a layer of spinach, potato and cheese. YUM again! And still had some to put in the freezer for another time.

cookessentials, Aug 9, 11:24pm
There was a video clip! Lucky you missed it LOL

sarahb5, Aug 10, 5:49am
Unfortunately not - it was on the news or Seven Sharp

cookessentials, Aug 11, 12:42am
I hope you shut your eyes? LOL. it was pretty gross. The worst thing was it had baby wipes and disposable nappies entwined in it as well.

sarahb5, Aug 11, 1:50am
When I read about it online it also mentioned other "pad-type" items and I don't mean iPads .

vtired, Aug 12, 8:21am
I use wild (twice) minced venison mince for my savoury mince basic recipe as per my post #9 so do not have issues with fat. If I did then I would simply strain off the fat (which is what I do if I use butter).

riversdale28, Aug 12, 9:18am
I just use mince and a can of watties just add savoury mince and make a day ahead leave in fridge then reheat up the next day

kirmag, Jun 11, 6:17pm
Bump for muffin2

The one in the first post of this thread is delicious. My fav I've made out of a few recipes tried.