Maharajah chutney

pennyze, Sep 4, 2:10am
Could someone give me the recipe for the above c hutney which is in one
of Alison Holst's slow cooking books. Cannot retrieve it from computer so TIA.

245sam, Sep 4, 4:07am
Here you are pennyze.
Please note that the oil quantity as shown in the recipe below is exactly as in the recipe in the book “year round recipes for crockpots and slowcookers”; however I am unsure as to what the correct quantity should be because the recipe states "¼ cup (125ml)" and 125ml is actually ½ cup.

Alison Holst’s MAHARAJAH'S CHUTNEY
8-10 plump cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
2-3 medium onions, peeled and chopped
2 tsp grated root ginger
500g sultanas, roughly chopped
2 cups each of sugar and malt vinegar
2 tbsp salt
grated rind and juice of 2 lemons
1 tbsp black mustard seeds
5 small dried chillies
3 tbsp coriander seeds
2 tbsp cumin seeds, crushed
¼ cup (125ml) oil
1 tbsp cinnamon
2 tsp turmeric

Coat the inside of the bowl of the slow cooker with non-stick spray.
Add the prepared garlic, onion, ginger and sultanas to the slow cooker. Measure in the sugar, vinegar and salt, then add the lemon zest and juice. Mix together, then set the slow cooker to HIGH.
Crush together the whole spices using a pestle and mortar, a coffee or spice grinder (or a heavy-duty plastic bag and a hammer).
Heat the oil in a large, heavy-bottomed pot or frypan, add the crushed spices along with the cinnamon and turmeric, and fry, stirring frequently, for 2-3 minutes until fragrant. Stir the spice mixture into the ingredients already in the slow cooker, then cover and cook on HIGH for 3-4 hours, stirring every hour or so if possible. :-))

nauru, Nov 15, 9:50am
I have made that recipe from her Good Food book (printed 1995) and the list and quantity of ingredients are exactly the same except the oil is ½ cup (125ml). Hope that helps. Maybe the amount of oil in the CP book is a misprint.