Paua Fritters

sampa, Sep 17, 6:23am
Best recipes for delicious paua fritters please.

That's it, just need to know what works best, and I should probably add that I have paua mince - not fresh whole paua - if that makes a difference to the recipes on offer.

nannahall1, Sep 17, 7:21am
I put half onion fresh bread and couple rashers bacon thru the mincer with the paua then add egg flour and make a pattie from this mixture I know there is a recipe with cream that is delicious am sure someone will have it enjoy

245sam, Sep 17, 7:33am
sampa, here are some paua recipes (not just fritters) from the former Trade Me Cooks:

"Creamed paua
Mince your paua, in a pot cook a finely chopped onion, add the paua, cook for about 5mins, stiring often then add the cream. cook for a further 5mins. to thinken add some cornflour mixed in a bit of cold cream. YUMMO Add salt and pepper after you have cooked the creamed paua. Sometimes doesnt need salt

Paua Fritters
Mince paua, finely chop an onion, grate a carrot, one cup of flour. mix together with salt and pepper, you may have to add a bit of water. the mixture has to be like a thick batter. cook fritters on the bbq or in a pan.

Fettucine
Cream paua can be served with fettucine. Its my favorite.
All 3 above posted by taruawai

really easy but delicious
slice it up and fry in melted garlic butter and ground black peppercorns. Fry til lightly golden
posted by tommi2

Paua Steaks
Give the Paua a bit of a bash with a hammer especially the black edges, fry in butter then add cream and a bit of pepper to the pan, cook for another couple of minutes, mmmmm YUM.
posted by janenz0

Paua ~ Creamed
Ingredients:. 6-10 paua's. 1 small onion. flour. 1 tsp corn flour. 300ml cream. Method:. Place paua in cloth and beat till soft and pulpy. Cut into small pieces and dust in flour. Finely cut up onion and fry. Very quickly toss paua's in and cook for a minute and then add cream and simmer 4 - 5mins. Thicken with corn flour.

Paua ~ Fritters
100% minced paua, some finely diced onion, a few small pieces of pre~fried bacon and some finely chopped tomato. Add salt and pepper and mix all together. Fry in a mixture of olive oil and butter.
both posted by fisher " :-))

245sam, Sep 17, 7:37am
continued from #3, more from the former Trade Me Cooks.
"Paua chips.
Yummy. As fisher said bash them first. Slice into chip size pieces, flour them, then deep fry for about 3 minutes (till nice and golden). Take out and sprinkle over salt and some lemon juice. Enjoy.
posted by susieq9

TOP TIP: If the paua are whole then wrap them up and bash them, then place in a saucepan add some onion and cream, leave to simmer. Can do this with minced paua as well.
posted by missic

Minced
My husband minces ours, with bacon, onion and curry powder. then cooks them as patties on bbq or in frypan. Can't help with the cream recipe sorry, but i know the one you mean.
posted by just_lookin1

I make a rich mornay sauce then add the minced paua with finely chopped onion parsely garlic and ginger. It is sooo easy and very delicious. The heat from the sauce when it first comes off the stove is enough to cook the paua and you stir in the love carefully. Its made with that.
posted by herbiez1

I think most people muck around with paua too much
I was recently taught a really nice way of cooking it. All you do is slice finely then fry in a hot pan very quickly in a decent amount of butter. You use a fork to turn the paua and when you can push the flat of a tine through the paua stop cooking and serve immediately. Any more will ruin it. Takes a very short time. No bashing it like my parents used to do. posted by toffee" :-))

245sam, Sep 17, 7:38am
continued from #3, the rest of the paua recipes from the former Trade Me Cooks.

"Patties
Just the best ! Mince the pauas, along with an onion, then clear the mincer by mincing a crust of bread. Beat a couple of eggs, Add 1/2 cp of flour , salt & pepper heaped tsp BP, Milk to make it like piklet batter, then add paua mixture. Fry in butter, -- good hot or cold or done on the bbq !
posted by jfor

TOP TIP: cooked as toffeey said but add some curry powder and then some cream,yummy,, creamed paua
posted by chrisynz

Creamed paua
must be the top of the list of our altime favourite foods. You need to mince the paua first then either make a white sauce with chopped onions or use cream, put the paua in at the end so not to overcook it or it will go tough and rubbery.
posted by kelly188

this is a Chatham Island recipe
Thinly slice paua ACROSS the grain and toss in seasoned flour. Saute bacon and onions in butter then add paua. Serve with good quality parmason cheese and chopped spring onion. Sublime~!
posted by darlingmole"

Hope that helps. :-))

sampa, Oct 20, 8:46am
Thank you both So Much! I had to kind of wing it in the end since these were for dinner tonight and I thought they turned out pretty good but loads of good ideas and info above, thanks again, for the future reference. :)