Polenta - how to cook it

muffin2, Nov 13, 12:03am
We found an unopened packet of Polenta in the pantry, but the cooking instructions are in fine print and in spanish?

How is it best to cook it?
I vaguely remember seeing something on Food TV where they put it in a pot of boiling milk and stir regularly to absorb then add lots of Parmesan cheese
is this correct? if so we only have / use trim milk at home, would that be ok?

any advice would be helpful

lilyfield, Nov 13, 12:39am
I like mine cooked in stock, very thick, spread on a shallow tray, when cold cut into sqares and pan fry in butter.

suzannelg, Nov 13, 1:42am
Can you post a picture of the packet? It might help us identify if it is quick cook polenta or normal polenta.

summersunnz, Nov 13, 10:43am
Or barbecued.

slimgym, Nov 13, 5:01pm
I think they wanted to know how to cook it. Like how much water/stock to use. how long do you boil it

uli, Nov 13, 10:13pm
It really depends what you want to eat the polenta with.

If it is with meat or tomato sauce I would cook it in stock.

If you want to eat it sweet as a dessert with fruit then I would cook it in milk.

Polenta is just ground corn meal, so you can do anything with it. In Italy they make one with fresh blood - a ghastly sight but it tasted very good.

muffin2, Nov 13, 11:56pm
thanks for the replies. I'm unlikely to be able to provide a photo of the product
I am only interested in savoury ideas, but would like to make polenta chips
I've seen it being used instead of rice or couscous so basically need to know how long to cook it and what quantities of polenta / stock to use

uli, Nov 14, 3:38am
As no-one here knows what type of polenta you have (instant, pre-cooked, raw, organic etc) we cannot tell you how much liquid to use and how long to cook. You will simply have to start cooking it and then add liquid if not enough. And taste it to figure out when it is cooked.

If you want to turn the cooked result into "chips" then you could use this recipe here:
http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/2377/polenta+chips

No skin off my nose of course - I am just wondering if this is Mr muffin2 that has diabetes2? If that is so then I would recommend feeding the packet of polenta to the chickens and eating the chickens and the eggs.

Good luck!

rainrain1, Nov 14, 4:43am
Terrible stuff, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone would eat it

uli, Jun 28, 9:51am
Because it is cheap carbs - and you can "make" a dinner out of it.

And if cooked properly it is a nice addition to meat, fish, eggs etc.
I loved small portions of it when I lived in Italy.

Here it is touted as a "main meal" or a "filler" - nowhere near what it would be in Italy.

No-one there would dream to make "chips" out of it LOL :)