Waffles

dk33, Mar 17, 7:52am
I love the crispiness of waffles with the egg whites beaten separately but can't be bothered with the extra work and extra bowls. The following is my favourite waffle recipe as it's really easy and gives you crispy waffles. It's really similar to the Martha Stewart recipe that gayle6 has posted.
Instead of buttermilk I use milk with 1 Tablespoon of lemon juice or white vinegar mixed in. I also often leave out the sugar because I like waffles with savoury toppings. These reheat really nicely in the toaster too.
Note that this recipe is for a Belgian waffle maker (I have a Goldair one).

Light & Crispy Waffles
Recipe from Aretha Frankensteins

Ingredients:

3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon table salt
1 cup buttermilk
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
3/4 teaspoon vanilla

Instructions:

Whisk together the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and whisk until combined. Allow to stand for 30 minutes.

Heat a Belgian waffle iron. Make waffles by ladling a generous 1/3 cup of batter into the waffle iron and cooking until golden brown. Serve with desired topping (Buttermilk Syrup is our favorite!)

Makes 5-6 waffles.

matty891, Aug 3, 11:35pm
any recipies or ideas welcome

gayle6, Aug 4, 3:38am
I treated myself to a waffle maker in the latest Brsicoes 'sale'. I made their Buttermilk Waffles which were delicious and required 3 bowls. Will use the following Martha Stewart recipe next time.
Ingredients
o 2 cups all-purpose flour (spooned and levelled)
o 2 tablespoons sugar or honey
o 2 teaspoons baking powder
o 1 teaspoon baking soda
o 1/2 teaspoon salt
o 2 cups (low-fat) buttermilk
o 1/2 cup (125g) unsalted butter, melted
o 2 large eggs

Directions
1.Preheat oven to 275 degrees; set a rack on a baking sheet, and place in oven.
2.In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; set aside. In a large bowl, whisk together buttermilk, butter, and eggs; add flour mixture, and mix just until batter is combined.
3. Heat waffle iron according to manufacturer's instructions; brush with oil. Pour batter onto iron (approx ½ cup), spread batter if necessary. Close iron; cook until waffles are golden brown and crisp, 3 to 5 minutes. Transfer to rack in oven to keep warm; repeat with remaining batter.

bev00, Sep 2, 10:44am
Waffles:

Melt 80 grams butter and then add -
3/4 cup milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup warm water
1 Tablespoon sugar
pinch salt
2 cups Self raising flour (or 2 cups flour + 2 1/2 tsp BP)
Tried lots and these are the best. Make sure waffle maker is really hot before starting and spray with heaps of non stick cooking spray. YUM

Quoteguardy (147 ) 11:28 am, Thu 1 Sep #6
I use this one from the AWW:
1 3/4 C plain flour
1/4 C self-raising flour
1/4 C castor sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 1/2 C milk
60g butter, melted
2 T water

Sift flours and sugar, gradually stir in combined egg yolks and milk, then butter and water, stir until smooth. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form, fold into mixture in 2 batches. I use about 1/2 C mixture per waffle in my breville maker.

(I don't usually use regular flour and self-raising, just regular flour and a bit of baking powder. Also, regular sugar seems to work ok.)

They seem crispy enough. If you are putting them in the oven to keep warm, don't put them in a pile, but lay them out flat on a rack instead

Quotebev00 (1702 ) 9:12 pm, Sat 1 Sep #15

cgvl, Dec 18, 5:41pm
I make waffles all the time DH loves them. I do not use 3 bowls even though the recipe states this. If you have time yes beat eggs whites seperately but I just bung it all into together except the butter and beat until smooth adding the butter/marg last. Still comes out the same.
My best recipe though for light waffles is from a Mossewood recipe.
Here is my adaption of that recipe:
1 rounded tsp of yeast,
1Tbsp plain flour
2tsp sugar
½ cup lukewarm water (not cold or hot)
Disolve all in the water and let stand for about 20mins in a warm spot until frothy (has developed a head or sponge).
In a large bowl I put 300g plain flour, 2 Tbsp cornflour, pinch salt, Then once the yeast mix is ready I add that and 1cup milk, 2 eggs, and 1tsp vanilla essence. Beat until mixed and consistency required for a batter reached. You will probably need to add extra water.
In the container I have used for the yeast I melt 80gm butter or marg and mix this in.
Leave mix to rise for about an hour. then use as normal
I use a pyrex 2 cup measure for yeast mix and reuse this to melt the butter in.
Last time I made (sunday) I did it in the breadmaker mainly to save time, so just bunged it all in together, the result was fine but not as good as doing it in the stages.