Scones

mike16, Sep 16, 4:01am
A while ago a post was made as to how to make delicious scones.
Many folks tried this recipe and said they were "the greatest" !
I couldn't find the original post but after making scones with the s/market scone mix this recipe cannot be surpassed.
Ummm . I used twice the reco'd amount of butter by mistake . and I'm glad I did !
At pres I'm age 70 , 6'2" and 83 kgs . so I'm allowed the extra !

unknowndisorder, Sep 16, 4:10am
Idiot proof Scones. Here it is again for anyone.
Melt 50gms butter in a microwave jug. Let cool a little and break 1 egg into it and top up with milk to = approx 1 3/4 cups liquid. Mix well with a fork. Add by mixing with a knife to 3 large cups self raising flour. Bake 230 for 10 mins. You can add a bit of sugar and fruit or cheese or whatever.

(Sorry c&p failed a bit then lol).

You're not alone in using the scone mixture and being happy with that :) (be boring if we were all the same) - but I have tried the recipe above and been happy with the results :)

awoftam, Sep 16, 6:56am
Ha! Common mistake. Plenty of people fat on the inside lol. Gotta love natural fats. I do.

wendalls, Sep 16, 7:19am
Edmonds recipe. Easy, simple works every time just follow the instructions.

macandrosie, Sep 16, 7:20am
I think the secret to good scones is not to be too fussy - I use whatever I have in the fridge at the time - we have our own milk & I take the cream off, so sometimes cream or even yoghurt. I usually make a 3 cup self raising flour recipe at a time with a pinch of salt & then sultanas, or dates & orange rind or savoury with cheese. I mix the mixture with a knife, it's fairly wet. Tip out onto bench & pat into a square shape - making about 8 or 9 scones. I sit them close together on the tray. Bake in hot oven - about 230°C until golden. Then I sit on a rack with tea towel underneath then bring the tea towel over top so they steam as they cool. It helps them to stay moist.

awoftam, Oct 24, 4:05pm
I think you may well be right. Simple and rustic - which is the origin of the scone. How delicious.