Anyone watch Save with Jamie?

Page 1 / 2
kaddiew, May 27, 11:58pm
For anyone still looking for large, trimmed, boneless flat slabs of brisket for slow roasting - as Jamie Oliver used in his Save with Jamie series last year - I've just seen it in my local PaknSave, among the specialty cuts. Not that cheap I guess at $11.99kg, but nice big clean pieces.

wendalls, May 28, 10:20am
I just saw it in pieces with little actual meat at a butcher on the north shore and it wasn't cheap. $11.99 sounds good if it's got plenty of meat. As long as it's got the marbling as the previous poster said.

pamellie, Jun 30, 8:05pm
He cooked a roast brisket. Can we buy this here? The only brisket I've ever seen is rolled, maybe corned, and looks nothing like what he had.

lythande1, Jun 30, 8:26pm
You can buy pieces of brisket but I have never seen one as clean as his.
Ours are covered in hunks of fat and usually with the bones still in (as it's from the rib area).

You can buy big pieces of other stewing meat though. no reason you couldn't treat them the same as he did. in effect he braised it not roasted it.

kaddiew, Jun 30, 9:41pm
I've not seen a piece of brisket like that here, either. But it looked delicious. He browned and flavoured it, then slow cooked it for 4 hours (although 170 isn't that low?), so I agree, you could do same with any large piece of stewing meat.

motorbo, Jun 30, 10:16pm
I would pop into a butchers and ask them . could be we do have it but call it something else . as to braising I thought that was done in a pot with more water than he used

kaddiew, Jun 30, 11:55pm
Yes, to me it definitely looked more of a roast than a braise.

valentino, Jul 1, 1:37am
http://www.jamieoliver.com/recipes/beef-recipes/mothership-sunday-roast-brisket

Thought this was great in how this was presented.

Recipe in the above link part of his website to his "saving with Jamie"

Cheers

pamellie, Jul 1, 3:50am
I have just been to the mad butcher and asked the lady on the counter but she didn't really know. Next time I am at the 'real' butchers I will ask. I bought a topside roast so will try that.

buzzy110, Jul 1, 5:15am
Try the Aussie Butcher next time. They are fantastic there. They'll make up whatever I ask them for. Describe what you want and they'll do it.

eljayv, Jul 1, 10:16am
I agree buzzy, I get them to bone some roasts for me sometimes and they are always very willing.

buzzy110, Jul 2, 1:16am
And they are always happy to joint several ducks at a time for me and when I buy lamb shoulder I get them to run the bone through their saw to make it easier to carve.

Like you, I've also asked them to bone out a particularly tricky piece of meat because they can do, in 5mins flat, what takes me 20mins or more. They are great.

A butcher in my local Aussie Butcher didn't balk at spending time showing me how to tie a butcher's knot and then he gave me a ball of butcher's twine. So helpful.

They are the best. I've tried getting that sort of service from the supermarket but I've been told that the cut I want has to be ordered in when I want it then and there. Another told me he couldn't joint a fresh duck because of contamination. For heaven's sake. It is supposed to be a Butchery Department. Instead, they buy in all their cuts and all they do is package it up if it isn't already packaged. Worse still, the butchers go home at 1pm and only the shelf stockers are left.

lythande1, Jul 2, 3:54am
Pot roasting involves a lot of liquid. braising to me, was always onions - and whatever, and a covered dish. which is what he did. You couldn't really just bung it in uncovered like a chook. Well, maybe but I wouldn't.

+1 for Aussie butcher. I'd ask them about other stewing cuts, they have large hunks that would be suitable. I bet the brisket wouldn't work out that economical once they trimmed and boned it. you could ask, they do that for free there but. mm.

pamellie, Jul 2, 4:12am
Thanks everyone. Next time I am out that way I will check with the Aussie butcher. I have always found them helpful and friendly whenever I have been in there.

frier, Jul 2, 4:34am
Brisket pieces from the mad butcher work amazing in this recipe the staff in the henderson one are so helpful in there. Also their shin of beef for Jamies osco busco recipe tastes delish although i do mine in the slow cooker works a treat

kay141, Jul 2, 4:45am
The Aussie Butcher does not have shops further south than Tauranga. like frier, I have found the staff at the Mad Butcher, Export meats and some supermarkets very helpful. And unlike other posters, the supermarket, where I do the bulk of my shopping, has butchers and fishmongers on duty all day. Only the bakers finish early.

kaddiew, Jul 4, 2:42am
Just asked a butcher at PaknSave if they could do a large clean piece of brisket needed for this recipe, and he said no problem at all. He was a Brit, knew exactly what I meant, and said he slow roasts it himself on a barbecue, for 6 hours.

kay141, Jul 4, 2:55am
I've never had any problem getting special cuts from butchers at supermarkets or the Mad Butcher either, but they do need some notice as they start the butchering at 3.30am. I doubt you could go in during the afternoon and expect a special cut there and then, as there is unlikely any meat left to butcher, but an order the day before has been enough.

frier, Jul 4, 3:03am
Well said Kay141, great experiences for years from the Mad butcher. Must try out the brisket on the BBQ soon thanks for tip ;)

goodbooks, Jul 6, 2:42am
I really enjoyed the show, watched it again on +1 to see a few methods he used again. Looking forward to tonight's show.

kaddiew, Jul 6, 2:46am
Me too. From the promo, tonight's show looks equally good.

goodbooks, Jul 6, 2:52am
Tonight show -
'Save With Jamie Sat-05-Jul 19:30
Rating: G
New Episode. Jamie Oliver roasts half a shoulder of pork, with all the trimmings, and turns the leftovers into dim sum buns and meatloaf with spaghetti, with a great tomato and chilli sauce.'

jia5, Jul 6, 6:41am
sniff, sniff, we have no power!

goodbooks, Jul 6, 10:12am
Hope it comes on soon for you.

karlymouse, Jul 6, 10:20am
It looked interesting. I like how the cost and KJ was given as well. I plan to try the meatloaf as usually I am not a big fan of hot meat loaf and prefer it cold. This one looked good. I did notice that he seemed to be a little forced in the animation of his face . but its his TV persona and part of him.