Ingredients

* 1/2 cup chick peas, soaked overnight
* 1 tbsp butter
* 8 oz. lamb cut into cubes
* 1 onion chopped
* 1 lb tomatoes, peeled and chopped
* a few celery leaves chopped
* 2 tbspchopped fresh parsley
* 1 tbsp chopped fresh Coriander ( cilantro)
* 1/2 tsp ground ginger
* 1/2 tsp ground tumeric
* 1 tsp ground cinnamon
* 71/2 cups water
* scant 1/2 cup green lentils
* 3 oz vermicelli or soup pasta
* 2 egg yolks
* juice of 1/2-1 lemon
* salt and ground black pepper
* fresh coriander (cilantro) to garnish
* lemon wedges, to serve

Method

Drain the chickpeas, rinse under cold water and set aside. Melt the butter in a large flameproof casserole or pan and fry the lamb and onion for 2-3 minutes, stirring, until the lamb is just browned.

Add the chopped tomatoes, celery leaves, herbs and spices, and season well with ground black pepper. Cook for about 1 minute, then stir in the water and add the green lentils and the soaked, drained and rinsed chickpeas.

Slowly bring to a boil and skim the surface to remove froth. Boil rapidly for 10 minutes, then reduce the heat and simmer very gently for 2 hours or until the chickpeas are very tender. (note: since I was using canned chickpeas they didn't need to cook for that long so I cut 1 hour off the cooking time).

Season with salt and pepper, then add the vermicelli or soup pasta to the pan and cook for 5-6 minutes until it is just tender. if the soup gets very thick at this stage, add a little more water.

Beat the egg yolks with the lemon juice and stir into the simmering soup. Immediately remove the soup from the heat and stir until thickened. Pour into warmed serving bowls and garnish with plenty of fresh coriander. Serve the soup with lemon wedges.

karenz, May 6, 1:59am
My grandmother used to make the best soup from the left Sunday roast leg of lamb, but this could be made just as easily with lamb bones. You will need:
Cooked lamb on bone or raw lamb bones
carrots
onions
celery
Any other veges you have/like such as parsnips
barley or soup mix
seasonings ie salt and pepper
Just put the meat in water and bring to the boil, simmer for at least an hour. If you have celery put the tops of the celery into this stock along with a quartered carrot, and a quartered onion. s Remove the bones/meat and cool the liquid, then strain the liquid and skim the top for fat. Put liquid back in the pot with chopped onions and carrots, you can also add celery if you have it. Add a handful of barley or dried soup mix and simmer until soft, strip any meat from the bones then season.

karenz, May 6, 2:00am
Forgot the diced celery - this isn't necessary but does give a nice taste, or you can use celery salt instead of normal salt as a seasoning.

redslapper, Apr 4, 12:17pm
thanks for those il try them tonight its just to put in the freezer for winter