Does anyone have a good zucchin relish recipe?

bev00, Jan 8, 10:37am
Zucchini Pickle Relish

5 cups grated zucchini
2 cups grated onions
2 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 1/8 cup white vinegar
2 1/4 cups white sugar
1/2 tablespoon each nutmeg, dry mustard, turmeric and cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 sweet red peppers, finely chopped

In a large mixing bowl, stir together zucchini, onions, and salt, and let stand overnight. In the morning, rinse and drain the zucchini and onions through a sieve. Add all the ingredients to a large preserving kettle, stirring to blend. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and let the relish simmer for about 1 hour, until the mixture thickens. Ladle immediately into sterilized pint jars. Seat at once. Store in a cool place.

Quotekaddiew (107 ) 11:11 pm, Mon 7 Jan #2

For this one you need to add other veges as well, but is a very nice pickle. I adapted it from an Alison Holst recipe. Makes about 6 large Vegemite jars. If red peppers are expensive just use 2. It does not seem to matter.
FARMHOUSE PICKLE

½ cauliflower, 4 medium courgettes, 3 red peppers (capsicums), 3 largish onions, 2 cups sugar, 2cups cider vinegar, 2tsp tumeric, 2tsp mild curry powder, semolina or cornflour to thicken (about 3 tablespoons or more if needed)
Cut up courgettes, onions and pepper into very small pieces. Break up cauliflower into very small bits. Place in glass or plastic bowl and sprinkle over ½ cup salt and cover with boiling water. Stand for an hour or two then drain off water and rinse the veges using a sieve. Put in a large pot and add sugar, vinegar and spices. Bring to the boil and simmer till the veges start to go soft, about 20mins maybe. Then add thickening to your choice of consistency. Pour into sterilized jars and seal.

Quotemagenta (408 ) 4:56 pm, Tue 8 Jan #4

bev00, Jan 8, 11:50am
saving for the glut

dibble35, Dec 7, 7:10am
Already getting to many zucchins! Kaddiew originally posted this recipe - It's the most appealing one of all the ones i saw on here, has anyone tried it else have a tried and fantastic recipe of their own. I'm not a fan of adding anything remotely fruity in relish so little bit fussy sorry. TIA
Zucchini Pickle Relish

5 cups grated zucchini
2 cups grated onions
2 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 1/8 cup white vinegar
2 1/4 cups white sugar
1/2 tablespoon each nutmeg, dry mustard, turmeric and cornstarch
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon celery salt
1 sweet red peppers, finely chopped

In a large mixing bowl, stir together zucchini, onions, and salt, and let stand overnight. In the morning, rinse and drain the zucchini and onions through a sieve. Add all the ingredients to a large preserving kettle, stirring to blend. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and let the relish simmer for about 1 hour, until the mixture thickens. Ladle immediately into sterilized pint jars. Seat at once. Store in a cool place.

jan2242, Dec 7, 10:31pm
One I love is the basic bread & butter pickle. I just substitute zucchini for the cucumber.

jaky, Dec 8, 2:34am
I made this one on thurs but haven't tried it yet.

Courgette Pickle

1 kg courgette 4 large onions
1 red pepper 1 green pepper
1/2 C salt 2 C sugar
2 1/2 C white vinegar 1 C water
2 tsp turmeric 2 tsp celery seed

Chop unpeeled courgette finely. Peel & chop the onions. Remove the seeds from peppers & chop. Combine the veges in a large bowl. Sprinkle salt over the surface & cover with water. Leave for 2 hours. Drain. Rinse thoroughly with cold water & drain again.
In a perserving pan boil the sugar, vinegar, water, turmeric & celery seeds for 3 mins. Add veges & cook 15 mins.
Spoon into hot jars & seal.

I thickened mine with a little cornflour.

jaky, Dec 8, 2:36am
The next one I'm going to made . previously copy & pasted off here :)

PRETTY PICKLES - also known as Confectioners Pickle. I don't know where this originated from - I have never found it in a recipe book, but my lovely neighbour shared the recipe and I must of given it out a dozen times this summer. Hope you try it. ***4 cups zucchini OR cucumber, chopped. Cover with 1/4 c salt, leave 30 mins rinse and drain. ADD: 4 onions, 2 green peppers, 2 red peppers (I whizz all these together) and 1T mustard seeds, 1T celery seeds, 1/2 t turmeric, 2 c white vinegar, 3 c sugar. Combine them all in a big pan and boil for 10 mins. Thicken with a bit of cornflour and vinegar. Jar as usual.

tixy (115 ) 4:52 pm, 24 Feb

2. It makes THE best
mouse traps when mixed with grated cheese and spread on bread. Goes v v well with cold corned beef, ham, mixed with mayo it makes a good salad dressing. If someone could explain how I get photos out of the camera and onto here I could probably take some & attach them (she says optimistically. )

dibble35, Dec 8, 5:19am
thanks guys. the recipes are all very similar, but I like the sound of the pretty pickles. Righto - better start saving my zucchini and make it next weekend, ta.

nauru, Dec 8, 5:36am
I use a family recipe for Piccalilli, cutting all the veges small and soaking in salt adding cauliflower brine overnight. Similar to the Pretty Pickles recipe above.
Dibble do you want a recipe for Chocolate Zucchini Cake, cooked for 8 minutes in the MW?

dibble35, Dec 8, 6:25am
I've got one already thanks Nauru - also got a choc zucchini muffin recipe. Everyone loves both till I tell them whats in them. then the kids turn there noses up. Mind you they are getting older and turning into tweens/teenage bottomless pit eating machines so will eat anything now,

nauru, May 15, 5:02pm
I didn't tell them, they thought it was just a yummy chocky cake. As for kids, been there, done that one dibble. Mine now have hungry teens of their own who need feeding.