Yam recipes

jordan2313, Jul 30, 8:15am
Does anyone have recipes for NZ yams?
I've looked online and it keeps coming up with Kumara recipes because I guess some Americans call sweet potatoes yams too?

I've got a simple roasting yam recipe which is great. So different ones would be appreciated thank you :)

beaker59, Jul 30, 8:22am
I use them for all sorts of things.

Like veges in cheese sauce used yams in that a few times recently mixed with carrots parsnips potato broccoli shallots etc.

Stir fry, cut yams into sticks and throw in with the other veges.

I have also used them recently in a thai red curry again cut into sticks and added towards the end.

Its just another root vege in my opinion roast, boil, fry, mash in anything.

radark, Jul 30, 8:23am
I like them sliced very thinly and tossed in a slightly sweet vinaigrette made with apple cider vinegar or apply syrup they are lovely and crunchy raw and have a slight astringency to them. I don't like them cooked as the texture is mushy

cookessentials, Jul 30, 8:25am
There is a thread on yams which was only a week or two ago

nik12, Jul 30, 12:00pm
I just love them roasted in the meat juices. hot and for a fair while 'till they crispy on the outside and all yum on inside. Bout the same time as a good crispy potato :-)
Had them steamed as a kid. yeah bit like Brussels as a kid (boiled to a pulp). It's all in the the cooking! And I need someone else to cook them for me so I know it's nice lol

bev00, Oct 13, 11:34am
SWEET AND SOUR YAMS
500g yams
salt
2 tbsp each of butter and honey
1 tsp ginger
1 tbsp vinegar

Boil the yams in salted water until tender. Drain.
Melt the butter in a fry pan and saute the yams. Add the honey and ginger, and cook for 2 minutes more, then add the vinegar and cook for a further 2 minutes.
Serve with meat or fish.
Serves 6.
Quote bev00 (1636 ) 1:45 am, Mon 16 Jul #14"

Hope that helps, jtonkin. :-))

courtesy of samanya -
That's the one!
I don't know where bev00 got her recipe, but I got it from a Digby Laws Vegetable cook book & it's the best.
I use fresh root ginger & no vineg

olwen, Oct 13, 8:18pm
The south american name is oca.

Here's one recipe
http://www.permaculture.co.uk/readers-solutions/warm-oca-salad-recipe

Not many I could see

bev00, Oct 14, 10:22am
different ways with yams

awoftam, Aug 31, 5:04pm
I wrap them in bacon and roast them.