I have lots of lovely Macadamia nuts. What to do?

popeye333, May 10, 4:38am
with them in my next problem.

Here was me thinking Ohh I could make Nutella. Doh! that's hazelnuts.

So Now I need some lovely tried and true recipes to use these little beauty's up.

Help. !

kaddiew, May 10, 4:43am
I don't have any tried and true recipes, but all recipes in this NZ website use macadamias

http://www.nutsaboutnz.co.nz/recipes

popeye333, May 10, 4:46am
Thank you Kaddliew. that's definatly going to help.

Now I need to find a nut cracker cos I don't remember ever owning one. Always used a small hammer for walnuts lol

nauru, May 10, 9:49am
Bought my nut cracker in Stevens, it's quite a sturdy one and wasn't expensive.

wildflower, May 11, 3:07am
Whittaker's used to do a white macadamia chocolate; that was heaven if you like white chocolate. They scrapped that and kept the milk:( I'd be melting some plain white and adding roasted ones to it.

Or making macadamia nut butter to try that.

sla11, May 11, 5:52am
Good luck shelling them - we have a tree; other half takes them out to the vice in the garage & deals to them! I just put shelled M/nuts into lidded container as is. We all snack on them, use them in Chocolate Slice recipe, shredded on icecream or in cakes, biscuits etc. Yummy and v.good for U they tell me!

buzzy110, May 13, 11:47pm
Macnuts need processing before you can shell them. The nut shell is tough and flexible making them almost impossible to shell without the processing.

Collect your nuts and discard the outer husk. Put them into an onion sack in a warm place for 6 weeks (or longer depending on how many you have - i.e. several sacks take a while to process).

FIll a baking dish with nuts and pop into your still hot oven after you have finished cooking something else. Turn the temp down to about 80dC and leave for 4-5 hours or overnight. The shells should be more brittle now and dried out.

It is best to have the baking tray full of nuts ready to go in the minute you take out what was cooking in there before.

I bought a vice like nutcracker from A place out Helensville way. It was made by a firm called T.J's Nutcrackers, in Queensland.

http://www.tjsnutcrackers.com/

It is brilliant. Easily the best macnut cracker on the market imo.

marcs, May 14, 1:53am
I got this recipe off here quite a few years ago. Not sure who would have posted it.

Warm Toffee Macadamia Nut Cake

2 cups chopped macadamia nuts,
¾ cup coconut.

Toffee.

125g butter,
½ C cream,
2 cups brown sugar

Cake

225g butter,
1 ½ cups sugar,
6 med eggs,
2 t vanilla essence,
2 ¼ cup self raising flour,
2 t cinnamon,
¾ cup Milk.

Method:

Preheat oven to 160C and grease and line a 25cm square cake tin. Spread the nuts and coconut on the cake pan cook until toasted, about 12 minutes. Combine toffee ingredients together in a saucepan and heat over a low heat, until smooth. Pour over the nut mixture. To prepare the cake mixture, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time and beat well after each addition. Fold in the sifted dry ingredients, alternately with the milk. Pour over the toffee mixture. Bake for 1 hour 15 minutes.

holly-rocks, May 14, 4:06am
I don't have a recipe ( there will be one online I am sure) but my Mum used to make caramel, white chocolate and macadamia nut muffins and OMG they were seriously so good!

wildflower, Aug 3, 6:03pm
Yep white chocolate so much nicer with macadamia's than milk chocolate imho:)