Hot Potato Salad?

dannydonut, Jan 24, 7:34am
I thought of using potatoes, bacon and whole grain mustard. But then I come to a grinding halt! Can anyone help me with what to do?

neon2k, Jan 24, 8:01am
Add marinated tomatoes and drizzle some of the oil on top of dish, sprinkle with finely chopped parsley

Toss in Potato Salad dressing - make your own or buy from Supermarket

245sam, Jan 24, 8:32am
dannydonut, here's an oldie but a goodie - I haven't made it for quite a while so must make it again soon - thanks for the reminder.

Alison Holst’s HOT POTATO SALAD
2-3 bacon rashers
1 onion, chopped
2 tsp flour
1 tsp sugar
½ tsp each of salt nand mustard
½ cup water
¼ cup vinegar
4 cooked new or waxy potatoes
1-2 gherkins or dill pickles, sliced (optional)

Cook the bacon slowly until it is crisp and golden brown then remove it from the pan.
Cook the onion in the bacon fat until it is tender, but not brown, then add the flour, sugar, salt and mustard. Add water, mix well, and stir over low heat until smooth, then add the vinegar and boil again.
Slice potatoes into sauce, and heat through, turning occasionally.
Add finely chopped gherkins (or other pickles) to the potatoes, if desired, then sprinkle with chopped parsley and the crumbled crisp bacon and serve with sausages or cold meat.
Serves 3-4.
From Alison: “This recipe can be kept warm for quite a long time, or can be reheated in the pan, if a small amount of water is added to thin it down. It is nicest when made with new potatoes. If old potatoes are used it is best to simmer or steam them in their jackets, and peel them after cooking.”

Hope that helps. :-))

packs6, Jan 24, 10:09pm
I have made this quite a few times and its a real crowd pleaser

nauru, Jan 26, 7:37am
That recipe is also good with sauted spinach in place of the bacon for a vegetarian option

niffer13, Jan 26, 8:26am
Mix grainy mustard about 2-3 tablespoons with 250grams sour cream. Cover small hot new potatoes with the mix.
Very nice hot & what is left over is just as nice cold.

terraalba, Jan 26, 8:05pm
In the 1970s, when I couldn't cook to save myself, even before I'd heard of hot potato salads, I put together a dish that became a favourite among my family and guests that was made from things we had on hand and had no strange ingredients but over the years, I've realised that with more interesting ingredients, seasonings and flavourings this basic recipe can be altered to advantage.
First I fried roughly chopped mostly lean bacon in a little oil then I boiled new potatoes, well drained and dry, diced them to about two centimetres square, fried the diced potatoes in the pan that cooked the bacon adding oil and butter to help coat the potato as they crisped in the pan. Then I fried a couple of eggs (about one egg to two people) chopped the fried eggs and bacon about the same size of the potatoes and then added chopped mint and parsley. I added chopped spring onions and chives to get a variety of size and taste. I would add cooked peas or left over small vegetables on hand.
The mixture didn't seem to need much in the way of dressings but sometimes I would add different kinds that I had to hand.
The basic recipe was a 'man-pleaser' as it had nothing in it that could be described as unfamiliar. It was sustaining on a weekend when heavy gardening work was on the schedule. It also went down well with chops or steaks, tomatoes, green salads and other vegetable sides.

winnie15, Jan 27, 12:29am
Yup those ingredients and I add 1/2 cup of Mayo, 1 tblsp lemon juice, chopped gherkins , parsley , Dijon mustard, spring onions and 4 hard boiled eggs cut Into quarters. If I don't have bacon I used chopped ham. Yum!

winnie15, Jan 27, 12:34am
Here's the recipe we love, it's seriously divine!
I use 'best foods' mayo
http://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/360100843.jpg

dannydonut, Jan 28, 8:57am
Oh fantastic, that's just the ingredients that appeal to me, yum! Will have t copy this to my recipe folder!

drsr, Apr 15, 9:13am
This one, with red potatoes, eggs, mustard, celery, capsicum, bacon and bacon drippings is great warm or cold. Don't be squeamish about the bacon drippings, after all mayo is mostly fat anyway.
http://www.browneyedbaker.com/best-ever-potato-salad-recipe/