Pork brawn

fran142, Aug 25, 12:40am
Does anyone have recipe for pork brawn ? many thanks

valentino, Aug 25, 1:51am

nanasee1, Aug 25, 5:51am
A recipe I have used for many years
1 pigs head; 2 carrots; 450g stewing steak; 1 onion; few peppercorns; big bunch herbs (thyme, parsley, sage, rosemary); Tablespoon lemon juice.Clean head, half cover with water, add all ingredients except the steak. Cover and simmer gently for an hour, then add steak cut into four pieces. Continue to simmer until all the meat is tender. Strain the stock and keep it aside. Carefully remove the meat from the pigs head, place in a mould with the finely cut steak. Boil stock to reduce it to about 200 ml. Add broken egg shells to clear the stock then strain through a very fine sieve or cheesecloth. Pour over the meat and allow to set covered in the fridge.

fifie, Aug 25, 5:58am
One i make is from beaker.
Pigs head cut ears off. heaps rosemary twigs, few cloves crushed garlic, salt,
Score the skin well for crackling, rub with garlic and plenty of salt. lay rosemary on bottom of roasting dish use plenty this keeps head out of the fat. Put head in skin side up roast in oven 100c for 3 hours near the end turn the heat up to blast the crackling.
When done remove to a plate let cool remove any herbs stuck to it and using a spoon scrape all the meat away from the bones. Press all the meat into one big chunk sit a plate on top and press overnight with few lbs butter or something heavy, next day slice pork and eat with crackling

beaker59, Aug 25, 6:28am
So you have made that Fifie? its been a favourite of ours for years now. I always do one to take away on the boat if we are going for a few days as it is good for sandwiches and quick snacks between watch's. So cheap too.

samanya, Aug 25, 7:15am
You guys have got me all keen to have another go at brawn. I have a problem with the eyes!
Made it years ago but your recipe beaker, sounds so much more flavorsome!
Don't have access to piggy heads anymore, so I wonder where I'd source a pig head (sans eyes!)

raebea, Aug 25, 7:36am
If no pigs head available use a hock instead, great.

fifie, Aug 25, 7:43am
Yep Beaker make yours now, for years i always boiled them but this is less fatty i find. Guess i'm lucky as kids always give me the heads for the freezer when they have a kill, so always have 1-2.

beaker59, Aug 25, 7:51am
Most butchers have or can get them, here in Auckland they have them at allot of supermarkets too. Certainly Mad Butchers or bulk butcher outlets have them usually.

aj.2., Aug 25, 8:03am
You can ask them to hold them, for you , so that you can pick up when it suits you .
I do this for the pork belly,
I ask for the section with the bones on.

whitehead., Dec 4, 6:13pm
i found over the years if you remove the pigs skin from the head you remove all the fat .this makes a healther brawn ,the skin adds nothing to the flavor and the dogs like it .