Kim Chi .

mike16, Feb 4, 7:38am
I love this . often but not too much at a time !
I've tried to make my own but come up really short of the good stuff.
A small Korean shop not far along Lincoln Rd sells a nice container full for $5.
Trouble is I live 160 kms !
Any help to make basic Kim Chi , please ?

village.green, Feb 4, 8:55am
Yes I have a nice recipe although I don't know whether it is 'authentic' or not, but it is one I really like.
This recipe is from Nourishing Traditions but there are hundreds on the internet.
1 head Napa cabbage (that's the elongated slightly bumpy one but I just use white cabbage) cored and shredded
1 bunch spring onions chopped
1 cup carrots grated
1/2 cup daikon radish grated (optional) but easy to source at veg shop
1 Tbs freshly grated ginger
3 cloves garlic minced
1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes (or more)
2 Tbs sea salt
Place veges, ginger, garlic and chilli and salt in a large bowl and pound with a wooden pounder or rolling pin to release juices. Leave for an hour for the juices to come out and then pack into a clean mason jar or other large jar and keep pressing down the veges until the liquid comes over the top. I then place a cabbage leaf over the top and use a clean freezer bag with water as a weight and leave in a dark cupboard for 3 - 10 days.
Of course you can reduce this amount of veges if you just want to test it first. I like robust flavours so make sure to put plenty of ginger, garlic and chilli in.
I am sure someone else will have some good recipes.
There are other variations that use fish sauce or soy sauce too.
The original recipe uses whey as well as salt but it didn't work for me even when I had it fresh from making cheese.
It's really worth having a go and much much more economical to make you r own.

village.green, Feb 4, 9:00am
https://www.facebook.com/TheFermentedFoody

If you go down to Nov 21 there is something on kimchi

deus701, Feb 4, 10:25am
I use this, works every single time for me:

http://drbenkim.com/how-make-kim-chi.htm

My friends and family love it, and refuses to believe its just something i found on the internet

mike16, Feb 4, 7:55pm
Great thank you for that !
I'll have a go !
Mike, Paeroa

eljayv, Feb 4, 8:19pm
Is this Lincoln Rd Henderson?

mike16, Feb 5, 7:00am
Yes . turn left by Caltex about 200 or so metres from the lights and it is a little s/market type shop in the corner of the shops !
Lotsa Korean goodies on there but I can't read the labels !

eljayv, Mar 26, 5:48pm
Thanks for that info.