Wild duck - how to cook?

john946, Mar 29, 9:26pm
We have some wild duck breasts, & also whole ducks. I'd like to hear of ways to best cook these as when I've cooked whole wild ducks in the past, they've always come out very dry. Thanks, C

cleggyboy, Mar 29, 10:15pm
Stuff them is one way of keeping them moist.
If they are still to dry they must have been over cooked.

jan2242, Mar 29, 10:39pm
If you don't want them too gamey - remove the parsons nose before cooking. Best way I find is very slow cooking.

cleggyboy, Mar 29, 11:00pm
Actually it is the wax gland on top of the parsons nose that is the problem,
Just under the skin two fatty tissues, also remove this, if freezing them cos that can make them strong tasting.
I have shot and eaten literally hundreds of wild duck over my lifetime.
I can remember my mum making wild duck sammies for me to take to school.
Once I took a whole cooked quail and had an audience of kids while I devoured it. LOL.

aj.2., Mar 29, 11:13pm
OP, to cook duck ,place in a slow cooker, add some water, then add some Cooking wine.
Great tasting , and moist meat as well.

popeye333, Mar 29, 11:39pm
Yep I always cook duck in the crockpot. Havent had one for a while tho.

aj.2., Mar 29, 11:57pm
Hi popeye, my wife not keen on duck, so I also have not had it for a while, also do not know anyone that does any shooting, these days.
I really miss my rabbit feeds, they a thing of the past now.

fifie, Mar 30, 12:08am
Into the crockpot and mix knob butter, 1/2cup freshly squeezed orange juice, 2tblsps runny honey, 2tblsp soy sauce s\p blend pour over duck cook low all day.

popeye333, Mar 30, 12:27am
Hi AJ, MrP isn't fond of duck either. I have a friend who has friends who hunt, so I generally can get some each year.

I have only had rabbit once, it was done in a hangi and it was beautiful.

Theres a lot of Game I would love to try, if I could get my hands on it. I used to go out with the blokes and hunt when we lived in the forrest. Miss that

john946, Mar 30, 1:00am
Thanks for your ideas everyone. C

maccagurl, Mar 30, 2:42am
Heck if you want some duck I can certainly pass some onto you when the season starts! Plucked and gutted or just breasted.

john946, Mar 30, 4:05am
Meant to have asked. do you think you use similar recipes given for Pekin ducks, as well as wild ones?

cleggyboy, Nov 17, 12:41am
I think pekin ducks are a larger bird would need more cooking, there should be recipes for them on the net, popular with Asian cooking.