Rosemary

uli, Aug 16, 6:05am
Not in Auckland - so cannot help.

Could you post the recipes though?

Greek lamb and potato sounds great.

nauru, Aug 16, 6:39am
You can get fresh herbs at most of the Asian fruit veg/supermarkets and they are not expensive. I have a rosemary shrub going wild here, also a laden lemon tree, shame you aren't nearer.

..james.., Aug 16, 6:40am
Hi marree, rosemary is one of my favourite herbs and I always found it growing within a cheeky reach of my arm whilst walking the dog in road frontage gardens and some council reserve plantings. I have found it quite handy to note herbs and plants around the place like nasturtiums,wild thyme,rosemary of course , fennel (which is everywhere), bay trees. etc.
I grow most of it all myself now bu tstill always see ingredients whilst walking the neighbourhood. All the best and would also appreciate your recipe.

beaker59, Aug 16, 8:48am
Sorry not out west but what always makes me laugh is most supermarkets have rosemary planted in their carpark gardens :)

Allot of council plantings have rosemary as well go look there will be heaps on a roundabout near you.

I remember when my Mum died we were cooking a family dinner of roast lamb a quick walk around the retirement village got all the herbs we needed including heaps of rosemary.

valentino, Aug 16, 9:22pm
mare, fennel is one of those herbs that grows at a certain time then only the bulb part remains for the rest of the year (always kept in ground as it regrows). When in full growth, pick the leaves and its branches, freeze it ready to use anytime.

I still have some left from last season.

Also self seeds if allowed and is very prolific, great for small garden plots or patio style pots.

Like wise with rosemary but rosemary is there all year round to use though main growth is during the warm months.

Cheers

valentino, Aug 16, 9:24pm
Oh, try a garden centre for these plants, can be used straight away if big enough. Bit more pricier but good plants though that can be planted too.

uli, Aug 16, 10:30pm
The roadside fennel does not taste very good and of course is quite polluted by the cars. Buy some seeds or a few plants of bulbous fennel and plant them in the garden or a big pot.
The bulbs will grow over winter in Northland and will go to seed in spring. I always just cut the bulbs off which I want to use and leave the roots in the ground - and they keep growing new shoots. In summer they will just go straight up and not bulb, but you can still use the green stuff.

lythande1, Aug 17, 4:39am
Me. But not back until next Saturday, you can have as many cuttings as you want. in Ranui

sampa, Aug 17, 7:37am
And, to add to all the above, don't get confused with fennel and it's close look alike relative which is actually hemlock. Nasty, poisonous, will make you very sick if you gather the wrong plant. Also take care with gathering herbs from the wayside. they may have been sprayed with weed killer.

By all means forage for herbs but be cautious.

pinnochio1, Aug 18, 9:01pm
My Rosemary plant is trying to take over the world, but I'm in Sth Auckland.
298 (if anyone wants some) followed by 6562.

hd07, Dec 22, 10:05am
To be honest, I wouldn't use the rosemary in Council parks or near a road, not only because of the pollution, but I've seen many a dog pee on the rosemary bushes planted near the entrance of our local park.

Supermarkets/Asian shops sell herbs for a couple of dollars, in either live form (can plant it in a pot if you don't have garden space) or sold as a few sprigs (not an economical way to buy it though).