Ideas for using beetroot

goult, Apr 21, 1:31am
I have only recently discovered beetroot (was always put off by the canned stuff my mum bought!).
I have been roasting it, and made a nice feta and beetroot dip, but would like some more ideas if anyone has any good recipes.
TIA

holly-rocks, Apr 21, 1:37am
This is not a recipe, but i juice beetroot everyday! Its so good! Super easy to grow your own too (:

jbsouthland, Apr 21, 3:29am
Personal question but does it change your pee ? Friend ate a large can fill of baby beets ( yum ) and thought she was dying !

mark.52, Apr 21, 3:47am
Yeah, makes it go a little bit purply-pink.
This happens to me if eating roast beetroots, but not beetroot juice.

Also discolours your poos.

joybells2, Apr 21, 3:50am
We had too much after growing it and I have tried freezing it by cutting into small pieces and freezing - will probably be only good for roasting but worth a try.

herself, Apr 21, 7:03am
These are my favourite ways of using beetroot.
Roasted Beetroot & Carrot Salad
Carrots and beetroot cut into batons, red onions quartered. Put into large bowl. Add olive oil, orange juice, balsamic vinegar, sprinkle with brown sugar. Roast until tender. Delicious hot or cold.
Sometimes I don't bother doing this in my oven, I use my electric frypan - comes out great every time and it is a big favourite all year round in this house.
Raw Carrot & Beetroot Salad
Grate 2 carrots, 1 beetroot and the rind of one orange into a bowl.
Add the juice of the orange, 1 crushed clove of garlic, 1 Tbsp Olive Oil,
2 tsp Honey, 2 Tbsp Sesame Seeds, 1 Tbsp chopped Mint OR Parsley, (which ever you prefer - I love the mint option) Salt & ground Pepper.
Both these dishes are very tasty and the raw salad is even better the next day.

lcl2, Apr 21, 7:06am
Make a beetroot cake, seriously use the carrot cake recipe and substitute the carrot for the beetroot, make a really yummy cake

richard198, Apr 21, 7:26am
Borscht! (of course)

goult, Apr 21, 8:13am
They both sound really good, thanks.

elsielaurie1, Apr 21, 8:23am
My Mum used to make Jellied Beetroot. Wash the beetroot, don't peel. Place in a saucepan of cold water and bring to the boil. Simmer for about 45mins. Don't break the skin or they will 'bleed' - lose their juice. Leave in the water until cool enough to handle. Take them in your hands and rub gently, and the skins will slide off. You can wear rubber gloves if you don't want the juice stain on your hands. Reserve the water. Now, trim the top and base off. Cut into slices. Place in a heatproof dish. Heat 1c of the strained beetroot water, pour over a red jelly. raspberry or the like, add 1/2c malt vinegar. Stir until the jelly has dissolved. Pour over sliced beetroot. Leave to cool. Delicious.

socram, Apr 21, 8:24am
Served hot as a vegetable with a topping of sour cream, sprinkle of parsley.

I'm sure I had it somewhere with coconut cream!

At a long gone favourite Takapuna buffet (Oceans?) they served it in a jelly that might even have been fruit flavoured (tart raspberry?). Very tasty.

awoftam, Apr 22, 9:16am
Revive raw salad. This is very easy and so yummy - even non beetroot eaters tuck in.

Enjoy.

http://www.meatfreemonday.org.nz/recipe/revive-raw-salad

aktow, Apr 22, 3:30pm
one of my quick snack salads

1) grated or thinly sliced beetroot, grated cheese, tomato, grated carrot
sliced lettuce , salt and pepper,,, mix all together and add lots of thick mayonnaise.

2) beetroot sliced , sliced red onions, sliced cucumber. chopped spring onions, honey, salt, cider vinegar , chopped boiled eggs, chopped fresh dill, black pepper, garlic. all bound with yogurt or sour cream.

3) hot diced beetroot bound with a sweet and sour sauce
4)

arielbooks, Apr 22, 11:34pm
Borscht is lovely there and many recipes both chunky and sieved. Beetroot relish and chutney are nice too. I have even found a recipe for Rogan Josh using left over beetroot cooking juice (from relish) to make the curry red and flavourful.

lucky1989, Sep 21, 10:49am
grated beetroot, green apple, walnuts. and aioli