Tongan baking

purplefalcon, Oct 29, 3:43am
We have a competition at work for the rugby World Cup and my team is representing Tonga. Part of the competition is a bake off. Does anyone have any tasty Tonga baking recipes?

uli, Oct 29, 4:31am
Hmmm - when I was in Tonga - there was no baking really. Hardly anyone would have an oven.

Maybe try a dessert like Faikakai Malimali:
http://www.196flavors.com/2014/01/26/tonga-faikakai-malimali/ http://www.eua-island-tonga.com/Tongan-recipes.html

There is a recipe that Tongans in NZ make and they call it the "Tongan Pie" - it is a bit like a jam roll and is actually baked in an oven. I guess it is a newer invention and not really originally Tongan.

marcs, Oct 29, 5:28am
Uli you might know but I am not sure if it is a Samoan or Tongan dessert and I don't know what it was called. It a cake type dough made with pumpkin I think and more than likely steamed as that is how they bake cakes in the pacific and served with the caramel coconut sauce. It is so yummy.

marcs, Oct 29, 5:34am
Desserts in pacific Islands are either steamed or fried of pan fried. I hail from Fiji and ovens were a rarity when I lived there. It may be more common now but not in the 80's. I lived in the country so I remember Purini or puligi being a steamed cake or panikeke which was deep fried doughnuts. Also cassava grated with sugar added then little amounts wrapped in coconut leaf and steamed. Also ripe plantain bananas cooked in coconut cream and sugar. Not sure if any of these are similar.

uli, Oct 29, 7:39am
x1
I have a few original cookbooks, will look tomorrow!

marcs, Oct 29, 12:48pm
May be it was a twist on Fa'ausi. I did have it again though and come to think of it, it was in a Samoan house so must be Samoan.

crails, Oct 30, 6:22pm
Pineapple Pie. Not sure it its Tongan but definitely an island desert. Shortcake base with a thick pineapple custard topped off with cream, easy and delicious

uli, Aug 3, 2:17am
I haven't unearthed any other recipes in my Tongan cookbook, sorry.
Hopefully you found something suitable.