Michael van Eltzen chicken

spencer26, Aug 20, 2:33am
I recently saw a TV show in which Michael marinated a whole chicken overnight in a lemon/salt brine. He then boiled it then finished it off in the oven. I have tried to find the recipe but no luck. If anyone can post the recipe or direct me to a Web Site i I will be very grateful.
Thanks folks

valentino, Aug 20, 2:57am

jbsouthland, Aug 20, 3:28am
Honey glazed lemon roast chicken . google that . I easily found the recipe but cannot put the link up. It said overnight or few hrs marinade .
Wasn't Michaels recipe but sounded the same . Nom nom .

245sam, Aug 20, 3:50am

245sam, Aug 20, 4:13am
spencer26, I checked Mike's recipes that are available from "Kiwi Living" (TV 1 on Friday evenings) and cannot find the recipe you're wanting there however I believe that the recipe you're wanting is not available on the internet because it is one that Mike will be including in his upcoming new book. :-))

jbsouthland, Aug 20, 5:37am
Yes . Thanks . there was another as well that was similar and had brine mentioned.

samanya, Aug 20, 5:48am
I can't help with the recipe but I do hope you find it.
Brining makes such a difference to a chicken or turkey. I occasionally smoke a chicken on the BBQ & when brined, it's moist & succulent. I always brine a turkey (not that I cook one very often) & you'd think they'd cook up salty, but they don't at all.

davidt4, Aug 20, 7:48am
Samantha, can you give some details about smoking a chicken? Do you spatchcock it ? Does it get completely cooked in the smoker or do you cook it separately? It's something I've been meaning to get into for ages but haven't. I use a simple smoker box that is heated on a barbecue.

samanya, Aug 20, 8:11am
I use a simple smoker too.
I soak The chicken in the brine overnight, whole. & then I pop it on the BBQ on a medium heat . Have to keep my eye on it . I start the smoker box a lot earlier & get it pumping with smoke ( I use manuka or Hickory chips)
It doesn't come out like the smoked chicken that you can buy . It's more like a roasted chicken with a lovely smokey flavour & with a crispy skin . but the brining keeps it moist. I can't tell you times exactly, but 1.5 hours on a lowish heat should do the trick & yes it is completely cooked on the BBQ.

davidt4, Aug 20, 9:00am
Thanks. Sorry about the autocorrect of your name, I didn't notice until it was too late to edit.

samanya, Aug 20, 10:41am
No worries.:)
I forgot to say that my BBQ is an old hooded one with a hinged rack sort of attached to the hood & that's where i cook the chicken. It's well above the hot plates.

spencer26, Dec 17, 12:18am
Thanks to all of you who responded to my query.
I have now managed to find the episode I wanted. It is on Choice TV,
"On Demand"
"Cook the Books" episode 3.
Looks interesting.
Cheers
Spencer