Country Womens Association Sultana cake recipe

Not this one either. Will see if SIL still has the recipe book. It was straight butter cake and did not require boiling the fruit.

Chef_marcs, Jan 1, 2:16 pm

This is from the yellow covered 1982 copy CWI book:
Light Sultana Cake
2 cups flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch salt
3 eggs
4 oz butter (the recipe states 8oz but I've made it, must be a typo)
1 cup sugar
Fruit, any quantity
5 tbs milk.
Cream butter and sugar, gradually adding beaten eggs and milk. Add sifted dry ingredients and fruit, The addition of grated rind and juice of a lemon is very tasty. Bake in a moderate oven 180 C for approx one and a quarter hours.

Chef_hezwez, Jan 2, 10:25 am

the Womens Institute recipe I use is :- beat together three eggs and 1 1/2 cups of sugar until pale. Meantime heat oven to 160 and line a square cake tin with foil. Boil a bag of sultanas (approx. 450gm) for about 5 minutes, drain well then add 250
gm butter (cut into cubes) Let the butter melt then add to the sugar mixture. Stir until mixed, add 1 tsp vanilla essence and 1 tsp orange or lemon essence. To that mixture add 2 1/2 cups high grade flour sifted with 1 tsp baking powder. Stir well, pour into tin making sure you get the mixture into the corners of the tin. Bake for about 1 hour or until a skewer comes out clean. Family favourite recipe

Chef_bigjules1, Jan 3, 12:25 am

Could be this one. I will ask MIL in the morning. Thank you.

Chef_marcs, Jan 3, 12:39 am

Thank you but not the correct one.

Chef_marcs, Jan 3, 12:40 am

we used this one to feed the kids at pony club its a great cut and come again cake and gives them some thing in their tums when they wont eat all day while competing

Chef_whitehead., Jan 4, 6:18 pm

Now I'm hungry for sultana cake.

Chef_whiskey13, Jan 4, 6:36 pm

fruit - any quantity ? lol interesting recipe

Chef_motorbo, Jan 4, 7:17 pm

It think it would be 500g fruit.

Chef_marcs, Jan 4, 9:26 pm

OK, back in the day those skilled country women probably didn't measure everything. Do you think that IS the recipe marcs? Did the MIL or SIL confirm?

Chef_hezwez, Jan 4, 9:29 pm

No they have not gotten back to me. I have one that is very similar that is a fruit cake and I just made it into a sultana cake. it has 125g butter and each time it has turned out dry so wondering the 250g butter may be correct.

Chef_marcs, Jan 6, 1:08 am

I think I have figured out why my cakes turn out so dry. We live in Australia and it is Australian flour which is the most disgusting to make anything with. Mum just said it used to turn out fine in NZ and ever since we moved here it just does not turn out the same. I might try swapping 2 tbs of flour with cornflour to make cake flour and see if that works.

Chef_marcs, Jan 6, 8:45 pm

This is my mums light fruit cake recipe. You need to do it all by hand and not by machine.

Mums Fruit Cake

2 Cups Self Raising Flour
¾ cup raw sugar (or raw castor sugar)
500g mixed fruit soaked in ¼ cup Brandy overnight.
¾ cup milk
3 eggs (size 7 or 8)
1 tsp vanilla
125g butter

Do all with hand. Make sure everything is at room temp
Beat butter and sugar until well combined with a wooden spoon. Add eggs one at a time beating well after each addition (still with the spoon). Mix flour and fruit together and fold gently in along with milk and vanilla. Fold only till combined. Bake at 180°c (160°c fan forced) for 1 hour to 1 ½ hour till cooked. (Check at 50 minutes) Used a 15cm tin well lined.
I think cake should be baked at 150°c fan forced.

Chef_marcs, Jan 6, 8:47 pm

Finally got the recipe. If you want it let me know.

Chef_marcs, Jan 8, 1:05 am

Yes please

Chef_griffo4, Jan 8, 8:19 am

Yes please x2.

Chef_jenny253, Jan 11, 2:45 pm

Another yes please for the recipe. I make a boiled sultana cake for the lunch boxes but it is not quite what I want - yours may be the 'one' :-)

Chef_herself, Jan 11, 5:18 pm

I also would like the recipe. I have made others, but also seem to dry.
Thanks

Chef_clair4, Jan 11, 7:14 pm

Sorry folks. Have been away and will be home Saturday. I will post then.

Chef_marcs, Jan 15, 4:31 pm

Thanks Marcs will keep an eye on here

Chef_griffo4, Jan 15, 5:39 pm

I replaced some flour with ground almonds in my sultana, gives it a nice flavour

Chef_jazzryn, Jan 18, 2:35 pm

Well here it is. MIL is 85 so may have been a bit confused but SIL has given me her recipe. I have not made this yet so no verdict.

Sultana Cake

1 lb (500g) sultanas
½ lb (250g) butter
1 ½ cups sugar
2 ½ cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
3 eggs
2 TBS Golden Syrup
½ tsp nutmeg
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp mixed spice

(use a wooden spoon not a mixer)

• Just cover the Sultanas with water and bring to a boil. Turn off and leave to cool completely.
• Cream butter and sugar.
• Add eggs one at a time and beat well.
• Add Golden syrup and mix in.
• Fold in sifted dry ingredients.

• Bake for 1 ½ - 1 3/4 hours in total - 1/2 hour at 150C and 1 1/4 at 140 C. Not sure of tin size but gather somewhere between 23 - 25 cm.

Chef_marcs, Jan 19, 12:54 am

Thanks, I will make this later. Assume you drain the fruit and add after the flour?

Chef_turtlet, Jan 19, 10:35 am

With liquid and all. I don't think you are meant to drain it. I have not made it yet but will try it in a couple of weeks once I get over my jetlag.

Chef_marcs, Jan 19, 3:53 pm

Forgot to say when to add sultanas. It is the last to add after the dry ingredients.

Chef_marcs, Jan 19, 3:55 pm

Cake is very nice thanks. I drained the sultanas and that seems to be fine. I would make it again.

Chef_turtlet, Jan 19, 4:20 pm

Thanks for the feed back. I will give it a go when I can.

Chef_marcs, Jan 20, 9:39 pm

I use that one, I am not a great cook but that recipe is very reliable. Love the yellow Rally cookbook.

Chef_vashti, Jan 22, 8:53 am

Me too - and the recipe for Coconut Haystacks - divine!

Chef_books4nz, Jan 25, 11:55 pm

Can someone please confirm if the sultanas should be drained or not in Sultana Cake posted by Marcs I would really like to make this but prefer to know so I don't spoil it, Thanks

Chef_onclemick, Jan 26, 10:38 am

It is not supposed to be drained. You need to add the whole lot in.

Chef_marcs, Jan 26, 11:43 pm

OK thank you marcs I will make this cake now

Chef_sweater, Jan 27, 8:45 am

Sounds devine marcs.
Cant wait to hear how sweater's turns out :)

Chef_whiskey13, Jan 27, 9:56 am

Well I made this yesterday, unsure how much water to use, so ended up using 1&1/4 cups, I cooked the cake an extra 1/4 hour thought it was OK, but it sunk in the middle after I took it from oven. Partner could not wait to try it, while still warm, a bit soggy in the middle, today it was better, a really nice cake I will make again, but use less water or drain the water off. Still got thumbs up from partner though

Chef_onclemick, Jan 28, 9:13 pm

Yeah was not sure about how much water but just barely cover it. If the tops of the sultanas show then that is fine. Gather the sultanas will absorb some. Or may be boil for 5 minutes. I have to try it yet myself. One of the others drained the water so may be do that if it doesn't work.

Chef_marcs, Jan 28, 9:32 pm

Partner just tells me he had slice of sultana cake in the early hours this morning and it was really nice, and wants one in the pantry often. It should be left for a day or so before cutting. I will be making again, but use less water, thanks marcs for shaing the recipe

Chef_onclemick, Jan 29, 9:30 am

I actually liked the Aussie flour when we lived there and had no problems with my baking. Strange that you are finding the flour poor over there when you consider that their wheat is pretty much used over here to make our flour.

Chef_janbodean, Jan 29, 10:26 am

Not sure what they do to their flour. It does alright in most cakes but just does not like the fruit cake but different brands of plain flour has different protein content as well. I have never liked the Australian flour but guess I have to learn to work with it.

Chef_marcs, Jan 30, 1:11 am

Marcs l made this today l brought the sultanas to the boil and removed from heat first thing this morning and left them till later and the water had mostly soaked up and it was completely cool like recipe said
l only just covered them with water and then shook the pot to make sure l didn't have too much and they settled down
l made it up and baked it and this is the first sultana cake hubby gave the thumbs up
l have made many over the years but none could replicate the ones made for him when he was younger
l had long given up trying up but this recipe got my interest and it has been worthwhile
THANK YOU

Chef_griffo4, Jan 30, 8:43 pm

I just copied the recipe from marcs, then added all the suggestions etc that followed! Will make in the weekend.

Chef_wron, Jan 30, 9:25 pm

Thanks for the recipe marcs :-)

Chef_floralsun, Jan 31, 3:52 pm

Thank you for the nicest sultana cake. Made it today and I did not drain the sultanas. Nice and moist. Have eaten some whilst still hot, I made it in a 9 inch square tin. Far too much for the two of us, so will freeze some tomorrow. Thanks marcs

Chef_clair4, Jan 31, 8:42 pm

How long did you cook this for griffo4 and clair4 I am going to make again and use less water as it is a really nice fruit cake, I would like to get it perfect next time, I also have always wanted to make a good sultana cake with a nice taste for years and this would be the best I have made so far.

Chef_onclemick, Jan 31, 10:02 pm

IO cooked longer than the time allowed. Put in a skewer a couple of times as it was not cooked at first. Probably at least another 1/2 hour but test until cooked is what I did. My oven is not the best for baking and does not give true cooking times. The cake turned out really lovely.

Chef_clair4, Feb 1, 8:34 am

I make one sounds same I drain water off and don't actually boil fruit just bring to boil turn off heat leave for 5-mins or so drain off then add butter and melt it in warm fruit be it mixed or just sultanas and then all other ingredients and cook lovely cake never had it fail. Fact making 2 this week for 2 50ths as they asked for a light fruit cake colour wise. so white sugar not brown for a darker cake.

Chef_anne1955, Feb 1, 10:20 am

Does anyone have this old recipe. My MIL can't find her recipe book. She says it was orange I colour.

Chef_marcs, Jan 1, 8:13 pm

I have a copy of the 1965 Womens division of federated farmers cookery book (Blue cover) which has a recipe for a "Never Fail Sultana Cake"

1lb Butter
6 Eggs
11/2lb Sultanas
Pinch of Salt
1lb Sugar
11/2lb Flour
1t Baking Powder

Mix 1T cornflour w/ 6T cold water, add to 1C boiling water and thicken, cool and add alternatively with flour and fruit to the cake mixture beating thoroughly. Bake for 3 hours in a moderate oven.

Chef_suzannelg, Jan 1, 9:36 pm

Nope not that one.

Chef_marcs, Jan 1, 10:19 pm

marcs are you referring to the orange-coloured Rally Cookbook? Could it be this recipe?
Sultana Cake
500g/1 lb sultanas
3 eggs
375g/12 oz flour
1 teaspoon lemon essence (optional)
250g/8 oz butter
375g/12 oz sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder

Place sultanas in a saucepan, cover with water and boil 5 minutes. Pour water off and put butter into hot fruit. Leave to melt. Beat eggs and sugar and beat well. Stir in fruit and butter. Add sifted flour and baking powder and essence if required. Pour into tin and bake 1 & 1/2 hours in a moderate oven.

Chef_hezwez, Apr 10, 11:06 pm

Share this thread