Salad ideas please

rose7, Sep 9, 7:51am
Trying to eat more salads, and I have no imagination really. something easy to throw together besides, lettuce, carrots and cheese.

awoftam, Sep 9, 7:52am
OMG Google really is your friend! So many recipes. so little time.

rose7, Sep 9, 7:53am
mm ok

awoftam, Sep 9, 7:55am
It's a very broad subject to put out there without having any guide as to what you are looking for - Here's just over 3000 to start:

http://allrecipes.com/recipes/96/salad/

Have fun!

rose7, Sep 9, 8:00am
wow that is awesome thanks Awoftam

awoftam, Sep 9, 8:10am
Welcome. Salads are so amazing - and its easy to do same old same old I know.

ruby19, Sep 9, 8:34am
As a really basic one, we love baby lettuce leaves (NO mesclun -sp), chopped peppers, red onion, cherry toms, avocado, s&p feta crumbled. Personally not a fan of cucumber but could be added.

Add toasted nuts/seeds
Different cheeses
Roasted pumpkin
Fruit, ie pear, orange segments
Fresh herbs

sampa, Sep 10, 2:18am
There is a Simon & Alison Holst cookbook called 'Sensational Salads' which is worth the investment. side salads to complete meals based around salad type ingredients. Sometimes it's good to get creative and move away from the 'auto pilot' in our heads when it comes to things like salads but a bit of inspiration can be very helpful in starting out.

blueviking, Sep 10, 4:36am
3 simple, but great salads.

Strawberry ,Asparagus & Avocado Salad.
Equal amouts of all 3. Blanch the asparagus and I cut into 3's. Use an avocado that is just going soft, peel,quarter and dice.(dip in lemon juice to stop from going brown) Remove the green hulls from the strawberries and 1/2 or 1/4 them depending on size. Pile on a serving plate and drizzle this dressing over.
Dressing: 1/4 cup avocado oil, 1 lge clove garlic crushed, 3 tblsps lemon juice, freshly ground salt & pepper to taste, handful of freshly chopped basil. Whisk together.
I never ate avo's until I made this salad. Now it's a staple summer salad

Red salad.
Slice the following: tomato,radish,red capsicum,red onion.
Throw in a bowl with a tblspn of brown sugar and 1/2 fill the bowl with white wine vinegar. Mix together. Stir the ingredients through every so often to make sure it all marinates.

Pasta Salad(curry flavoured)
This is the only time I eat curry.
Boil a pkt of pasta as per directions. Rinse and cool slightly.
Add the following: Sliced green or red capsicum(red ones are usually in the preceeding salad and green give a nice colour variation) 1 of usually. Sliced ham, sliced or after Christmas, diced(you don't have to put this in if you don't want)
Sauce: Tblsp hot curry powder(don't worry, it won't be that hot in the end & if you like it hotter, just add more)
1 tblsp castor sugar, 1/4 cup oil(use nice oil) 1 tblsp whit vinegar. 1/2 cup cream(if you don't have cream, just use mayonnaise & less oil)
Combine all the ingredients and enjoy.
I can usually make all these salads by the time the pasta has boiled

christin, Sep 10, 5:46am
Add things like
Boiled egg, crumbled feta, beetroot cubes, cashew nuts, flawed salmon,avocado etc

Cooked pasta and red onions, small bits of salami or chorizo, feta,mcapsicum and a dressing etc

sarahb5, Sep 10, 6:33am
Firstly why are you trying to eat more salads? If it's to lose weight then vegetables are vegetables whether they're raw or cooked but what you add can make a huge difference. One of my favourites us a curried chicken salad but it has mayonnaise, yoghurt and nuts so quite high calorie. Another is grated raw beetroot, carrot and feta with raisins or currants and a red wine of raspberry vinegar dressing.

kmole, Sep 13, 3:58am
Google 4 c's salad, yummy. carrot, coconut coriander and cashews.

daarhn, Sep 13, 4:16am
I keep in the pantry 10-15 various nuts and seeds containers. In the fridge a big plastic container of roasted vegges of various type. Another container of various salad leaves/ mesculn, grated veges plus sliced diced chopped veggies along with a tub of roasted spiced chick peas. I marinate my own tofu, roast it or fry it and keep in fridge as well. This I make on a weekly basis so its a quick grab what ever I feel like through the week.

Depends on who is visiting or what I feel like eating I can at a moments notice grab all the pre-prepped containers and a fabulous big serving charger and throw the lot together for an instant main meal, or side. Blocks of various gourmet cheeses and tinned fish/ anchovies, deli bits or pickled eggs give it another dimension.
Make a sauce or vinaigrette in style your creating and voila. a salad that packs a nutritious punch and looks gorgeous on the table. I'm a wraps/ pita type so either make your own on heat good store bought brands and have with the salad. You can even toss throw warm strips or diced meats/ seafood. Caters for the vegetarian, vegan or brute at short notice.

uli, Sep 13, 5:46am
It depends on what you want a "salad" to be.
Is it more greens you want to eat?
Or more raw vegetables?
Or something cold that has meat or cheese or eggs in it as well?

Let us know what you mean with "salad" as in the English language it could be just cold noodles and sauce or it could be a nice mixed green salad.

pinnochio1, Sep 13, 7:06am
My stomach and lettuce are sworn enemies,but I love coleslaw and have it for tea very often. My receipe is slice cabbage 10mm then cut that into small pieces, finely dice an onion, grate a carrot, put into bowl and mix up well.
Add a handfull of raisins (whole) and a handfull of dried apricot diced smallish. Add a few spoons of coleslaw dressing and mix again. Optional add some crushed walnuts and crushed cashew nuts.
I will usually have bean salad with it, along with whatever meat and beetroot

thejewellerybox, Sep 13, 7:13am
Google salad in a jar recipes. The beauty of these is you can make them ahead of time and they last 5 days. Make them n Sunday night and yu can eat a lunch salad all week. They stay crisp and fresh all week!

gaspodetwd, Sep 13, 8:24am
Fry up a little streaky bacon then make croutons in the bacon fat.
Lettuce, tomato, cucumber, avocado, spring onion, feta, pine nuts, bacon, croutons, capsicums, cold boiled potatoes ( or sweet corn), plus your choice of dressing.
Totally delicious.

dreamers, Sep 13, 9:03pm
This is our new favourite.
http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/crunchy-broccoli-salad
Another recipe for this said to just use Mayonnaise so you can chose which dressing you want.

ruby2shoes, Sep 14, 4:51am
Rice Salad
1 cup rice, 1/4 soy sauce, 1 cup (unsalted) peanuts, 1/2 cup sunflower seeds, 1/2 cup pumpkin seeds, 3 chopped spring onions, 1 chopped red pepper, 1/2 chopped medium onion (I finely dice it or you can grate it), 1/2 cup chopped currants

Dressing: 1/4 to 1/2 cup olive oil, juice of 1 lemon, 1 tsp lemon rind, 1 tsp minced garlic, 1 tsp minced ginger. Put in jar and shake well.

Bring rice to boil in 1 & 1/2 cups water, with lid on. Simmer 10 mins, keeping lid on. Stand the rice off the element for a further 20-30 mins.
Pour soy sauce over the warm rice. (May need to stir rice during cooking time to prevent sticking to bottom of pot, lol).
Roast peanuts in the oven. Once roasted, add sunflower and pumpkin seeds and chop.
Mix together all salad ingredients. Pour dressing over salad.

love this one.
I keep a supply of unsalted peanuts, the sunflower and pumpkin seeds in my pantry during summer. I make croutons with old bread and will often add fresh slice chilli to salads.

agedbag, Sep 14, 11:36am
My ex flatmate 'was making dinner and he forgot to get things for a salad, so I looked in the fridge and this is what we had, so we threw it together and it became a favourite. It is very simple and you can add dressing if you like, but it is nice with just a bit of freshly ground black pepper.

- Remove the seeds from 1 whole capsicum (yellow makes a great combination with the colours of the other ingredients).
- Peel and slice 2 carrots
- Cut up 3 or 4 medium sized tomatoes
- Chop up 2 spring onions
- Put all the ingredients into a bowl and mix with a spoon
- Add black pepper to taste and mix it through

bev00, Sep 20, 11:07am
my favourite salad at the moment is baby spinach, boiled new baby potatoes, asparagus (and or) snow peas with chunks of smoked salmon and a nice hollandaise - so simple and so yummy.

pony_girl (3263 3263 positive feedback) 9:27 pm, Fri 12 Sep #6

arrowmax, Sep 21, 12:26am
sarahb5 - do you have a recipe as such for your grated beetroot salad please?
TIA

sarahb5, Oct 13, 1:57am
I think this one is pretty close - it's nice with feta added

http://www.theculinarylibrary.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/beetrootsaladingredients.jpg