Uses for Budget Creamed Corn

toadfish, Jul 23, 7:09pm
I used to buy this for DD to use for corn fritters - but now she has decided she doesn't like it and prefers Watties. Can't blame her really, not sure whether they changed the recipe but she was happy with it for years and it was her standby cheap lunch.

I now have 2 cans of budget creamed corn that no one will eat. Has anybody got any good recipes using (or disguising) it?

Any advice gratefully accepted,

korbo, Jul 23, 8:02pm
pop them into the food bank thingee, or make sweetcorn/chicken soup with them.(good morning had a recipe last week)

ruby19, Jul 23, 8:18pm
Alison and simon holst have a lively recipe for corn and potato chowder. A family favourite, and quick to make.

lilyfield, Jul 23, 9:20pm
Add it to your pot of minestroni

Use in quiche filling, add bacon and eggs herbs and chilli.

nz_nicola, Jul 23, 10:31pm
Toasties with creamed corn and cheese, quick easy lunch

nzcountrygarden, Jul 23, 10:35pm
Yum! I really like the improved version! and so much to make with it ^^^
And add some bacon to the soup and it is amazing.

melford, Jul 23, 10:49pm
Corn fritters - easy and yummy with tomato sauce. Beat 2 eggs, add 1/2 cup self raising flour then can of corn. Fry inn oil a few minutes either side

paora-tm, Jul 24, 4:45am
I need to go through my recycle bin to find the can I used the other day - either Watties or Oak, the creamier of the two with more mashed up corn and fewer whole ears. That's the one I prefer. What's wrong with Budget Creamed Corn? I won't buy some budget cans - pears, salmon and asparagus which can be hard, dry or stringy, in that order.

wildflower, Jul 24, 7:14am
Creamed corn and onion toasties are delicious.

deanna14, Jul 24, 7:45am
x1
Corn patties come out lighter and yummier if you separate the eggs, add the yokes, beat the whites and add them last folding. Yummo.

crails, Jul 24, 9:38am
Ruby19 could you post that chowder recipe please?

toadfish, Jul 24, 6:43pm
I am not sure - for years she was happy with them, 95c a can she would add flour, baking powder and an egg and have a yummy lunch. Not sure if its because I once brought Watties as it was on special - when she compared the 2 apparently Watties (for her) won hands down. bugger I say as they cost about 50% more.

toadfish, Jul 24, 6:51pm
Found this on google. - Could make it as a loaf.

Cheesy bacon and corn muffins recipe
Ingredients:
1 egg
2 cups plain flour
1/2 tsp salt
1tbsp baking powder
1 cup creamed corn
1 cup grated cheese
2 rashers of bacon, finely diced and cooked

Method:

Preheat the oven to 200°C. Prepare a 12 hole muffin tray and set aside.

In a mixing bowl, combine the flour, salt and baking powder.

Add the corn, cheese and bacon pieces.

Break the egg into a measuring cup and lightly beat. Add enough water to the egg to make 3/4 cup.

Add the egg and water to the mixing bowl and mix through until just combined.

Spoon the mixture into the prepared muffin pan and bake for 15-20 minutes.

toadfish, Jul 24, 6:53pm
This Annabel White looks good as well - I trust the cuddly cooks recipes.

Sweet Corn Chowder

By Annabelle White on 16th April, in Dinner, Food & recipes, Recipes, Soup

Meal Type
Soup/stew

Ready in 20 minutes, serves 4
Serve this with warm bread.
•2 tbsp olive oil
•3 large potatoes, peeled
•and cut into 1cm dice
•1 onion,  finely diced
•1 tsp dried vegetable stock
•3 cups hot water
•1 x 300g can creamed corn
•Pinch of black pepper
•Pinch of cayenne pepper
•3 tbsp sour cream (optional)
•1 tbsp lime juice (optional)
•2 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped (optional)

1. Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat. Add the diced potatoes and onion and partially cover with a lid. Cook, occasionally stirring, for 5 minutes or until the potatoes start to stick and the onion is tender.
2. Dissolve the vegetable stock in water and add to the saucepan. Scrape up any brown bits from the bottom of the saucepan. Stir in the creamed corn and bring to a simmer
3. Turn the heat down to low and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
4. Season with pepper and cayenne pepper if you desire.
5. Ladle into bowls and stir a little sour cream into each.

Finally, add a dash of lime juice and coriander for extra taste

245sam, Jul 24, 6:56pm
toadfish/Julia, maybe when your daughter compared the 2, she looked in particular at the %% of actual corn in the different brands. I recall my DD and myself doing that one day at PnS and Watties was a clear winner over all other options at that time. :-))

toadfish, Jul 24, 6:59pm
Think we have another winner as I have some cornmeal that needs using up as well. Will be good for Lunchboxs to have with soup.
Not sure about olives and jalapenos - may use fried bacon pieces and onions.

Sweetcorn bread
Ingredients
1 tsp Baking powder
1¼ cups Cornmeal, fine ground
¼ cup Flour
2 tsp Sugar
½ tsp Salt
1 cup Buttermilk (will use Trim Milk)
2 Eggs
1 can Creamed corn, approx 410g
60 g Black olives
40 g Pickled jalapeno chillies (will used some marinated capsicums)
1 handful Cheddar cheese, grated

Directions

1.Preheat oven to 220C.
2.Sift flour with baking powder into a mixing bowl. Add cornmeal, salt and sugar.
3.In a separate bowl, beat eggs with buttermilk. Add sweetcorn, olives and jalapeno peppers. Mix all together.
4.Add the wet to the dry ingredients and incorporate to a batter without over mixing.
5.Pour into a loaf tin, top with lots of grated cheddar cheese and bake for 35-40 minutes until firm and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean

toadfish, Jul 24, 7:01pm
Your right 245sam - she says the watties has more recognisable corn - the budget has more "cream".
I always try the budget version just in case we like it - I always buy budget chopped tomatoes - but that's about it now in the canned range.

winnie231, Jul 24, 11:08pm
Hi Toady,

add a can to your cheese sauce next time you make macaroni cheese.
Apart from being delicious - it makes the dish a bit healthier which I know your girls would appreciate :)

dibble35, Jul 25, 1:31am
I 2nd the chicken and sweetcorn soup. Very basic recipe but rather yummy.
Cook up a pack of chicken soup, add 1t fresh grated ginger, 1 tin sweetcorn, bring to a simmer and cook 2-3 mins. lightly beat 2 eggs and swirl into soup, serve straight away. Sprinkle on chopped spring onions

sp1lly, Jul 25, 11:45pm
potato and corn waffles

bev00, Feb 12, 1:07am
recycling