How do you cook your veggies?

sprocketmonster, Mar 3, 11:56am
I am on a fat and sugar restricted diet, and I'm tired of eating the same old things all the time. I'm after fresh ideas on how to cook veggies that have different flavours. Hit me with your favs! TIA

mjhdeal, Mar 3, 5:59pm
I make my own spice mix, which I add to meat and/or vegetables.

The usual way I use it is with stir-frys, but another way is oven-cooked vegetables. I chop up an oven-tray worth of vegetables, sometimes I add oil, but also sometimes just wash before cooking (so its moist, and the vegetables steam-cook) then add 2-3 tablespoons of my own spice blend, toss well, then put in oven (180 degrees) for about half an hour, giving another toss half-way through.

This is the spice blend I use (It makes a decent-sized jar):
2 1/2 tablespoons paprika
2 tablespoons salt
2 tablespoons garlic powder
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 tablespoon dried thyme

Source: http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/emerils-essence-creole-seasoning-recipe2.html

lythande1, Mar 3, 6:00pm
Asian stir frys. with various veges etc
Mediterranean veges.
The list is endless. google some.

punkinthefirst, Mar 4, 2:42pm
"Fat restricted" doesn't mean that you can't spray a pan with a wee bit of oil and stir fry your veges. You can add all sorts of extras from there. tomatoes and herbs to make it Mediterranean, chilli, garlic and tomato to make it Mexican, grated ginger, garlic and some hoisin and/or oyster sauce to give it a basic asian flavour, add some curry paste, ginger and garlic for Indian. It may not be strictly authentic, but you get the idea? Try out different herbs and spices - experiment. . And thats just the cooked veges - salads are another way to experiment. You don't have to put oil in the dressing!

14you, Mar 5, 1:06am
My favourite way to cook my vege is in my George Forman steamer. I too am on a restricted diet. I have not used the top of the stove in ages and have not used the interior for years Slow cooking or G.F. Steamer fr me everytme.

ferrit47, Mar 5, 8:01am
I steam my vieggies in Steamer pot. I add Little Bit of Butter & Little bit of salt.

sarahb5, Mar 5, 9:28am
I don't use fat to cook many vegetables anyway but all veggies taste good if they're well seasoned and not over cooked

buzzy110, Mar 5, 9:59pm
No often I agree with you but you are absolutely right. Vegetables don't need fat.

I don't include potatoes and sweet potatoes in my list of vegetables. They are a staple and are one of the three macronutrients - protein, carbohydrate and fat - excluding alcohol.

sarahb5, Mar 5, 11:23pm
First time for everything!

samanya, Jan 14, 11:54pm
Digby Law's 'Vegetable cook book ' is a goodie . they are not all sugar/fat free but are flavorsome . you could adapt?
I've had a copy of this book for a long time & it's ;ooking the worse for wear because it's been used so much . well worth buying (or borrowing & copying).