Satay Sauce - no coconut milk

muffin2, Aug 13, 10:40pm
last year I found a great satay sauce recipe online that used no coconut milk, it had peanut butter, brown sugar I think with some chilli / onion in it?and you mixed up 1/2 cup water with cornflour to thicken it up. but I can't find the recipe anywhere now and want to make it tonight.
Does anyone have a good satay sauce recipe - preferable one without coconut milk

thanks in advance

kirmag, Aug 13, 10:46pm
The one in the Heart Foundation book is my fav. Used to make it all the time and had the recipe known off by heart. can't remember it now though. Will try find it online, if not I will have to look in the book tonight.

Was Peanut butter, sugar, soy sauce, onion and water. Yum as too. mmm I need to make some now.

davidt4, Aug 13, 11:02pm
Malaysian Satay Peanut Sauce

1 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts (unsalted)

1 cup water
1 tablespoon sweet soy sauce (Kecap Manis)

1 1/2 tablespoon palm sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt

1/4 cup peanut oil

1 heaped tab tamarind pulp (soaked in 1/4 cup water for 15 minutes, squeeze the tamarind pulp for juice and discard the pulp)

Spice Paste:
6-8 dried red chilies (seeded and soaked in warm water)

3 cloves garlic

3 shallots

2 lemon grass stalks (white parts only)

3cm ginger or galangal 

1 tablespoon coriander powder (optional)

Crush the peanuts coarsely with mortar and pestle or mini food processor and set aside.
Chop the spice paste ingredients and blend until fine. Heat oil and fry the spice paste until aromatic and smell spicy. Add the peanuts, tamarind juice, water, sugar, sweet soy sauce and stir thoroughly. Simmer in low heat while continue stirring for about 3 minutes until the peanut sauce turns smooth. Serve at room temperature with the satay.

kirmag, Aug 14, 5:16am

muffin2, Aug 14, 11:02am
thanks - I found the recipe
here it is:-
1T olive oil
2T crushed Garlic
2T grated ginger
1tsp corriander
2T soy sauce
2T Lemon juice
some hot chilli sauce (I used about 2T sweet chilli sauce)
1/4 cup brown sugar
2T peanut butter (I used crunchy)

put all ingredients into a small saucepan on med and heat through to dissolve the sugar
combine 2T cornflour with 1 cup water and add to the mixture, stir to thicken

it's so easy and tasty!

mkbooks, Aug 14, 11:29pm
I have a "cheat" one Chinese friend gave to me
1 cup chunky peanut butter 3 Tbsp soy sauce
3 Tbsp Hoy Sin sauce 1 Tbsp grated ginger
1 Tbsp f/chopped garlic 2 Tbsp sesame oil
Mix well-keeps well in covered bowl in fridge for a month or so

muffin2, Dec 28, 12:45am
mine doesn't keep - because I eat it all!