Lamingtons

megsnz1, Sep 28, 8:48am
Any thoughts on lamingtons - went for high tea and were served chocolate lamingtons but they had no cream.

helen35, Sep 28, 9:28am
That sux!

eastie3, Sep 28, 9:30am
Raspberry with real cream and a dab of berry jam.

daarhn, Sep 28, 4:28pm
School lamington drive. our annual fundraiser

slimgym, Sep 28, 5:21pm
wow do people still do that, do you make the lamingtons. I remember organising on when my kids were at school. When the new committee came on board, they just brought the lamingtons already made. boring

camper18, Sep 28, 7:33pm
Easiest thing in the world to make the raspberry ones. Chocolate ones a bit messy. Can freeze them too.

daarhn, Sep 29, 12:14am
1970's Perth. we would use the school canteen after school and crew cutting up supplied sponge, another group kids dipping into chocolate sauce, another group into coconut, and another group kids boxing the orders. Coconut and chocolate sauce head to toe and across the benches and floor. FUN FUN FUN! I still make them from scratch with various creme jam fillings, butterflied, bite sized, man sized or Birthday cake size. They will never go out of fashion and oh so much better than cupcakes!

marcs, Sep 29, 2:21am
Those days are gone. I live in Perth and kids are in primary school and if you even mention anything like this, it becomes all about diet and feeding kids unhealthy things. I remember buying chocolates and k bars in our canteen at school back in those days and all sorts of ice creams and icy blocks. I refuse for my kids to buy anything out of their canteen because it all comes out of a packet/frozen meals.

daarhn, Sep 29, 8:26am
and school fair days where u could buy green or red toffee with hundreds thousands made in paper cupcake holders for 2 cents a piece, toffee apples, chocolate crackles, honey joys, white xmaz, loads of cakes and slices for a buck you would be loaded and go gorge yourself sick. Pies and pasties, lollies chips and a trip to school dentist on site at regular intervals. Those days!

marcs, Sep 29, 8:32am
Them were the days. The bake sales were the best or the yearly school fair.

rarogal, Sep 30, 3:17am
Personally, I wouldn't eat one without fresh whipped cream on, lol!

awoftam, Oct 1, 6:56am
Ohhhhhhhh I am not a sweetie eater but I am partial to a good lamington. And custard squares lol. And just lately have been hankering after a light as air sponge with cream and a fairy dusting of icing sugar. is sponge making a dying art? Do young(er) people bake? I have taught step kids to cook and they love it, but I never taught them to bake. Maybe people that bake have kids that bake, hmmmmmmmm

slimgym, Oct 1, 8:54am
sally lunn bun is what I hang out for, that icing haven't tasted it for years

wendalls, Oct 1, 9:06am
I would like to make a perfect sponge cake. Might try the cornflour box recipe tomorrow. School hols is when I get the time to try baking different things. With most women working full time these days, you can see that their priorities may not be on baking.

daarhn, Oct 1, 9:11am
Baking a sponge is one of the most easiest quickest things to make. But most opt for the shop versions- YUCK!

Here is a link to Ray McVinnies 3 ingredient sponge cake

http://www.bite.co.nz/videos/video/2146/Video-How-to-make-a-simple-sponge/

awoftam, Oct 1, 9:28am
I'd never buy a sponge. I don't but much ready made anything actually.

Just watched the video, thanks for that daarhn. Might give it a whizz this weekend. The sponges mum used to make were way higher and less cakey looking than that - however I won't know till I try!

daarhn, Oct 1, 9:47am
double the mix perhaps? I still use my sponge recipe from an old high school economic cooking class book. Love 'dropping' the sponge tin.

vomo2, Aug 25, 11:13am
Why bake them when Countdown sell them, $4 for a packet of 8 generous sized chocolate and or raspberry.