Southland cheese rolls - recipe please

muffin2, Aug 25, 12:56am
wife has bought white bread, reduced cream, onion soup and we have cheese in fridge, do you just mix cream, soup and grated cheese together, then spread over bread, roll up and bake for 10 mins or something?

are there any other 'secret' ingredients?

please share your favourite recipe!

thanks in advance :-)

lyndad59, Aug 25, 1:08am
You have to put ingredients in a pot & stir on the stove till the mixture has thickened .I usually let it cool for a while

kirmag, Aug 25, 1:42am
Oh god, don't start that fight on here again.

muffin2, Aug 25, 1:42am
ok great - we are having these for dinner with coleslaw :-)

kirmag, Aug 25, 1:44am
Evaporated milk instead of reduced cream. And yep in a pot to all mix and thicken together.

muffin2, Aug 25, 1:52am
Sorry - didn't mean to start a fight. We've never made them before and wife phoned mother in Chch last night who said reduced cream, onion soup and grated cheese. (ducks away and hides)

kirmag, Aug 25, 2:00am
I have made them from both and both still taste yummmmm. Can't go wrong really with kinda a cooked onion dip and cheese.

sifty, Aug 25, 2:20am
I like a touch of mustard.

nannahall1, Aug 25, 10:27pm
evaporated milk onion soup mix, cheese plenty of it and a bit of grainy mustard heat all together and spread thickly on bread I also make this and add chopped chives and put in a jar , keep in fridge and use as cheese spread on bikkies

muffin2, Aug 26, 3:06am
Made these last night - found a recipe wife had written down by Richard Till
1 tin reduced cream
1tsp mustard powder
1 pkt onion soup
1/2 an onion finely chopped
about 2 C grated edam cheese

I heated the ingredients in a small saucepan then buttered bread and put the mixture on the unbuttered side and rolled up. bake ar 180c for 10-12 min - this made 10 using white toast bread
it could have made more but the mixture was so tasty I was 'sampling' it as I was putting it on the bread

245sam, Aug 26, 3:16am
The Cook's privilege? ;-))

jbsouthland, Aug 26, 3:29am
Never added evaporated milk or reduced cream in any of the gazillions of cheese rolls I have made over my sons school fundraising . And I am a born and bred Southlander .

malcovy, Aug 26, 2:57pm
Mum never did either. But I like the next method
I used the reduced cream, maggi onion soup mix, 1/2 red onion diced and grated cheese. I divide it into 3 and freeze 2 lots. One lot does one loaf of sandwich bread. The mix needs to be heated gently then lightly spread over bread and roll, freeze wonderfully. Mustard added would be tasty.

beaker59, Aug 26, 6:38pm
Went to Dunedin last year for a visit tried some at the Café down the street struggle to see the appeal. Heaps of better food down that way.

Dunedin is OK as a tourist destination though, if a bit bleak went to Queenstown too which is very good, haven't been to Christchurch but have heard they don't like us Jaffa's there so no point going.

rainrain1, Aug 26, 8:56pm
A cheese roll is very good now and then on a freezing cold day with a bowl of soup, one doesn't eat them all the time you know. Sad that you feel that way about ChCh people. maybe you should have ventured further South

samanya, Aug 26, 11:38pm
Don't believe everything you hear!
You will never know what a great place you missed . still a bit rugged after getting broken, though.
Some of us are quite civilized, believe it or not.
ps. I don't like Queenstown much . too commercial for me. ;o)

muffin2, Aug 27, 1:03am
so what liquid do you use to add the onion soup and grated cheese to?

asue, Aug 27, 2:12am
Slowly add Hot water and mix well til nice and thick to spread

samanya, Aug 27, 6:44am
Well come on, share your recipe.
I made some recently, had a crowd coming & I used a supposedly 'prize winning' recipe & I have to say they didn't get served, not that great (did lunch for a couple of days).

nannahall1, Dec 2, 9:16am
I too am a southlander so I stick with my recipe but in saying that I think as long as the basic components are there you can add what you like , mix cheese with hot water whatever you want I have had some lovely and some not so good cheese rolls over the years . I think the ones you buy that are for fund raising often don't have enough filling in them so make your own load up the filling that's the secret