1 large onion, chpd
4 cl garlic, crushed
1/2t salt, 1/4t pepper
3c veg stock chicken flavoured
1/3c fresh basil, tightly packed
3T raw cashews
1T nutritional yeast flakes
Additional s&p
Chop courgettes. Cook onion 5 min until soft in a little water, add garlic cook another minute. Stir in chpd courgettes, s&p, cook on med, stir occas, cook 5 min. Add broth and simmer until courgette tender (15 min or so)
Blend in 2 batches. Add cashews,basil and yeast flakes and blend until smooth. Return to heat, warm and season with s&p.
This is delish and is from the fatfree vegan site.

frances1266 (7 ) 3:0

raloki, Feb 17, 8:02pm
Courgette and Herb Loaf
1 Onion
½ cup Rice Flakes
2 cups Courgette
1 ½ tablespoons fresh Sage
3 Eggs
1 teaspoon fresh Rosemary
½ cup Olive Oil
1 cup Flour
2 teaspoons Sunflower Seeds
1 ½ teaspoons Baking Powder
Salt

Peel onion. Put onion and courgette in food processor and mix until small pieces. Add eggs and oil and whizz to combine. Add flour, baking powder and salt, rice flakes and herbs. Mix to combine. Tip into loaf tin. Sprinkle with sunflower seeds. Bake at 160 C for 40 minutes or until firm to touch.

I used rice flakes and GF flour as I wanted it gluten free. Original recipe said wheatgerm. It was a very tasty savoury bread-like loaf.

asue, Feb 18, 7:51am
Recipe for the fritters please?

245sam, Feb 18, 8:20am
asue, I think the following would be the fritters that cookessentials recommended. The recipe is from "The Revive Café Cookbook" (book 1).

"Curried zuchinni fritters

4x zuchinni - grated
1lge onion, diced finely
1cup Besan flour ( chickpea)
1 tsp salt
1 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
1tsp mild curry powder.
Freshly ground gourmet pepper ( red green and black mix)

Grate zuchinni with coarse grater in to large bowl. Dice onion finely and saute in oil until clear. Add onion to zuchinni and all other ingredients and mix well. Chill mixture for twenty minutes. Heat a non-stick pan with a little oil and add spoonfuls of mix. Fry about 5 minutes each side.
Quote cookessentials (1219) 9:35 pm, Sun 10 Feb #21
forgot to add a tbsp of black sesame seeds. I just use ordinary ones and I use a very full ( to overflowing) tbsp of sweet chilli sauce.
Quote cookessentials (1219) 10:10 am, Wed 20 Feb #22"

Hope that helps. :-))

twindizzy, Feb 18, 7:53pm
Sliced in half lengthwise, sprinkled with paprika and a quick cook.

Sliced into circled and microwaved with chicken stock butter and lemon

gardner12, Feb 19, 4:22am
For large marrow size, slice in rings and put pizza topping on and put under the grill or in the oven

traderken, Feb 19, 5:07am
I have some large ones but do not know what to do with them.
Some of the smaller ones I have split and smoked when I was smoking fish. Very tasty

sylvia, Feb 19, 6:38am
Tonight I cut in half lengthwise and also took a bit off the bottoms so they sat right in a baking dish. Brush with olive oil and garlic, add sliced tomatoes along the length, salt and ground pepper then top with grated Parmesan. Took about 30 mins at 180. They were nice for a change.

bev00, Feb 19, 10:11am
Zuchinni Fettuccine
2x medium courgette (Zucchini)
1/2 cup raw cashew nuts
water 1/2 cup ( but don't put it all in at once)
1 tbsp. lemon juice ( add more to your taste if you wish)
1 lge fresh clove of garlic, crushed.
nutmeg, Himalayan salt and a little ground pepper if you wish.

Using your vegetable peeler, cut thin strips of courgette into a bowl. Grind cashew nuts to a fine powder ( I use a coffee grinder especially for my nuts and seeds) to the cashews, add water, garlic and lemon juice to make a thick sauce. Sometimes I use the half cup, sometimes a bit less. Pour the sauce over the courgette "fettucinne" and mix through well. Serve in bowls with a little grated nutmeg on the top. It is so delicious and it is made in about five minutes

cookessentials (1219 1219 positive feedback) 1:57 pm, Mon 17 Feb #18

sampa, Feb 19, 7:49pm
You can sub them for eggplant in moussaka or use them along with eggplant in a mixture if you prefer. I did this earlier this week and thought the courgettes wouldn't be as tasty as the eggplant but it was all delicious. Just a note - these days I oven bake the veg for my moussaka (with added Italian style herbs and a liberal splash of olive oil) and then add a bolognese type meat sauce and cook a bit longer. Lastly I add a top layer consisting of milk with corn flour and a couple of eggs all whisked together, finished off with a good layer of grated cheese. Cook till top is set. This will probably make those that make real moussaka frown in disapproval but, hey, it works. Tasty, easy, filling and - as a bonus - low carb too. Leftovers are delicious for lunch the next day as well. :)

cookessentials, Feb 20, 8:27am
I can recommend the zuchinni fritters, they are delicious.

mike590, Feb 20, 8:42am
Try this chocolate cake. I havnt made it yet as I'm still waiting to get over my courgettes in stirfrys etc hehe
http://www.bestrecipes.com.au/recipe/chocolate-zucchini-cake-L1685.html

village.green, Feb 20, 9:57pm
This is a great thread for me as we are inundated with big green scallopini (disc like courgettes) at the moment from our garden and yellow courgettes.
Going to do fritters and soup.
Jamie Oliver has a nice recipe whereby you simmer sliced courgettes in olive oil and garlic and I think fresh herbs until soft, 30 mins or so and use it as a dip or spread on bread/crackers etc.

davidt4, Feb 20, 10:02pm
If the scallopini or zucchini are really fresh I slice them thinly, sauté in butter over high heat until golden brown, dress with salt and pepper and a few drops of top quality aged balsamic vinegar. It's really delicious and very easy. It does have to be good vinegar, not supermarket brands.

sampa, Feb 21, 1:51am
If really young and fresh they can also be thinly sliced and added to salads or antipasto platters. If antipasto I prefer to more or less peel them into long medium thin ribbons and serve with a good olive oil mixed with lemon juice drizzled over them. Add seasoning and/or herbs to taste.

sharon31, Feb 23, 1:15am
We use this recipe from the healthy food guide, very yummy
Ham, courgette and macaroni bake
2 1/2 cups macaroni pasta
2 courgettes
2 tablespoons reduced-fat spread
2 tablespoons plain flour
1 cup trim milk
1/2 cup light sour cream
2 cloves garlic, crushed
200g shaved ham, chopped
1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup grated reduced-fat cheddar

Step 1 Preheat oven to 180°C. Cook pasta in boiling, salted water, following packet directions, until tender. Coarsely grate courgette and squeeze out any excess liquid.

Step 2 Meanwhile, melt spread in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in milk. Stir in cream and garlic.

Step 3 Drain pasta and return to saucepan. Stir in courgette, ham, parsley and white sauce. Spoon into a 6-cup capacity ovenproof dish. Sprinkle with cheese. Bake for 30 minutes, or until golden.

topgun-rx2, Feb 23, 2:41am
YUMMY CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI CAKE

This is delicious, moist chocolate cake is one of my favourites. No one - especially kids - would ever guess that the secret ingredient is zucchini!

For a 25cm square cake:

125g butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup white sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup yoghurt (any type)
2 1/2 cups plain flour
1/4 cup cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon or mixed spice
1/2 tsp salt
3 cups (350g) grated zucchini
1/2 cup chocolate chips

Heat oven to 170degC. Line bottom and sides of a 25cm square pan or roasting pan with two crosswise strips of baking paper.

Beat softened butter with sugars until light and creamy, in a mixer or food processor. Mix in eggs, vanilla, yoghurt and 1/2 cup of the measured flour.

Mix in grated zucchini and remaining flour sifted with other dry ingredients. Pour into the pan. Sprinkle with chocolate chips.

Bake for 45 minutes, or until centre feels firm and a skewer comes out clean. Refrigerate, or freeze wrapped pieces.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~-
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I miss out the cinnamon and spice and use a berry yoghurt and this cake tastes delicious ~ chocolate with a hint a berry flavour! The kids love it!

I have made a spicy zucchini cake that you ice with cream cheese icing. It is very much like a carrot cake and the kids love that too!

meetee, Feb 24, 9:33am
I have been cutting small ones in half lengthwise, sprinkling them with cajun seasoning and roasting them along with chicken thighs, halved small onions and small potatoes - it all gets the seasoning. I got so sick of them in baked slice, stir fries etc but love them this way!

mustu, Feb 25, 8:10am
Substitute them for cucumber in Bread & Butter pickles. They look and taste exactly the same. Also. slice and cook gently with a knob of butter, chicken stock and pepper. Strain liquid off then stir through a good splash of cream.

jan2242, Feb 25, 10:53pm
Easy oven bake recipe.
Thinly slice courgette or marrow and place a layer into a greased oven dish. Top with parmesan cheese, repeat layers as often as you like, but last layer is cheese. Cover with foil and bake 180 for about 20 minutes - test to see if cooked. Remove foil and crisp up the top.

hd07, Feb 27, 2:05am
http://www.simplyrecipes.com/m/recipes/grandmas_zucchini_cake/

Made this yesterday, very yum.

I made courgette boats last week (or stuffed courgettes). Cut in half lengthways and scoop out the inside, being careful not to break the skin. Blend the inside with some sour cream or cream cheese, add other ingredients you like (ie grated onion, garlic, spring onion, chilli, chives - whatever you like), stuff back in to the courgettes, sprinkle with grated parmesan and bake until cooked.

jellabie, Jan 29, 12:55am
I have had some large ones too, one night I just sliced one with a mandolin and layered it in a dish with onion, tomato, garlic, and morroccan seasoning and topped with cheese, I found you need to go as high as you can because it softens and settles to about half the height, pour off most of the liquid about 20 minutes before the meal is ready. We have had it half a dozen times since and no two have been exactly the same. Black olives would be nice in it too and it goes great with steak or lamb chops. A really simple side dish