Plum,fig,pear quince paste recipes please

niffer13, Jun 5, 2:00am
Just made quince paste very pleased with it. Given 1/2 away so have to stop that as I will have none left.
Saw pastes & the cost at supermarket so would like to try some other fruits. I know fruit season is over but I am keen to be ready for next season.
So yummy with blue vein.

summersunnz, Jun 5, 12:12pm
Make as you did the quince paste for any other fruit. Microwaving in a deep bowl for a few minutes at a time is faster, and less/no chance of it burning onto the bottom.

tiogapass1, Jun 5, 11:03pm
bump
I'm interested too.
Would you share your qunice recipe?

245sam, Jun 17, 4:51pm
From an earlier thread.

"Plum Paste
Makes 2 small Jars or 3 (5 ½ oz) ramekins

2 ¼ lbs plums, pitted and chopped
granulated sugar
1-2 T. butter (opt.)

Put the fruit in a large heavy bottomed saucepan with 1 ¼ cups of water; bring to a boil and simmer for 30-40 minutes until the fruit is reduced to a thick, syrupy pulp. Crush the fruit occasionally with a potato masher or fork as it cooks.

Sieve the fruit in batches and collect the juice and puree in a clean bowl. Measure the puree and add the sugar. (For every 2 cups of puree, allow 2 ¼ cups of sugar. If the puree seems tart, use 3 cups of sugar.)

Put the puree back into the pan and add the butter if you wish (it softens and mellows the sharpness of the plums). Stir over low heat to dissolve the sugar and bring to a gentle boil.

Simmer very gently for 35-45 minutes or longer, stirring often, until the pulp reduces to a black-purple glossy paste that ‘plops’ and sticks to a wooden spoon, or will leave a clear trail if the spoon is drawn across the bottom of the pan.

Lightly oil some warm sterilized containers, ramekins, or molds. Spoon the paste and level the top. Cover with discs of wax paper and seal with plastic wrap if leaving in their containers. Otherwise leave to cool, turn out using a butter knife, and wrap in wax paper. Label and store in a cool, dark place for at least 6-8 weeks before eating.

Stores for 2 years.

Edited by lcl2 at 9:41 am, Mon 13 Jan

Quote lcl2 (446) 9:38 am, Mon 13 Jan #3

Plumbrillo Jelly
2kg ripe black or red plums
1kg jam/preserving sugar

1. Wash the plums. Quarter and stone all fruit and place in a large preserving pan along with 500ml water.
2. Bring to boil and simmer for around 45 mins until the plums have completely cooked down and are pulpy and dark.
3. Now for the hard bit! Pour the plums into a large bowl. Rinse out the preserving pan and then push the plum mixture through a nylon sieve (or use a mouli) into the cleaned pan. Try to extract as much of the pulpy flesh as you possibly can.
4. Stir in the sugar and heat, stirring all the time until the sugar dissolves. Turn up the heat and bring to the boil. Bubble for approx 25 minutes until you have a thick puree. The mixture is ready when a wooden spoon leaves a trail along the bottom of the pan for a second before the puree floods the gap.
5. Pot into sterilised pots or jars and seal. Leave to set and cool before labelling. Keep in a cool dark place for up to 6 months.

Quote lcl2 (446) 9:40 am, Mon 13 Jan #4" :-))