Vegetarian butter chicken :-)

nicenikki, Mar 3, 5:28am
hello, my daughter has made her one and only request for butter chicken to be made for her birthday tomorrow. She loves the mild one served from the indian places in the malls, but she just has the sauce over rice.
Does anyone know an easy recipe for the sauce, and any ideas of what i could use in place of the chicken? Or which already made one from the supermarket is the nicest please?
thanks all!

dibble35, Mar 3, 5:37am
You can use paneer instead of chicken - I quite often get this ( paneer makhani I think its called) at our local Indian restaurant, its yummy. The Asian home gourmet purple packet of Butter chicken sauce from supermarket is quite nice. Yummm, you're making me crave some, already in PJ's so cant go out and get takeaways maybe I will.

frances1266, Mar 3, 5:51am
You could use tofu as a sub for chicken, frozen and thawed tofu is really good but so is plain tofu.

davidt4, Mar 3, 5:52am
Paneer or potaotes would work well.

Tomato Butter Sauce

To cook approx 1 kg chicken, prawns, fish, potatoes or paneer

750g tomatoes, cored, peeled, chopped
4 green cardamom pods
3 green chillies, seeded and chopped
6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
5cm ginger, peeled and chopped
3 black peppercorns, crushed
1 tsp chilli flakes
40g butter
1 tab tomato paste
½ c cream
salt & pepper
1 tsp ground fenugreek
2 tab chopped coriander leaves

Place in a saucepan the tomatoes, cardamom,chillies, garlic, ginger, peppercorns and chili, with half of the butter. Bring to the boil, simmer gently uncovered 1 hour.

Pass through a sieve, add tomato paste, remaining butter, cream, salt and pepper, fenugreek.

Add your main food and cook until done, about an hour for chicken pieces, 45 min for potato, 5 - 8 minutes for prawns and fish or paneer.

Adjust seasoning, stir in coriander.

nicenikki, Mar 3, 8:52am
thanks everyone great ideas there.
with the recipe, should i take out the chillies to make it mild?

davidt4, Mar 3, 9:17am
1 tsp of chilli flakes will be barely noticeable, it will just give a little boost to the flavour and balance out the fat and spices. Better not to leave it out unless you have to.

nattles88, Mar 5, 2:05am
Michael Van de Elzen has a butter chicken recipe in his food truck cookbook, and its a lot healthier then most recipes too. He also suggests thats its really nice served over fresh watermelon. I hate watermelon myself so i have not tried it.

propagator, Mar 5, 2:44am
My favourite.

Sweat off one chopped onion in 1tbsp butter with 1 tsp garlic and 1tsp ginger. Add
Tin chopped tomatoes
1pkt tomato cup of soup
1tsp each of garam masala, cumin and tandoori seasoning
2tbsp brown sugar.
Simmer for a few minutes and just before serving add 1pottle natural yoghurt.
Enjoy!

pony_girl, Mar 5, 2:51am
I have recently brought a couple of bags of spice road, butter chicken sauce from the deli section in my local PaknSave (Auckland area) - it is really delicous and I am not usually a fan of any ready made foods.

motorbo, Mar 5, 3:37am
do you have the recipe? if so I would love it if that's ok

nauru, Mar 5, 5:22am
Here you go, link below. Great recipe, I've made a vege version a couple of times using Quorn chicken pieces instead of chicken.
http://tvnz.co.nz/the-food-truck/s2-ep5-mike-s-butter-chicken-4885471

sarahb5, Mar 5, 5:36am
My daughter, when she was a student, used chickpeas instead of chicken - it was a very mild recipe and she used coconut cream instead of cream and fresh tomatoes cooked down in butter which is also how I make mine although I like mine spicy

buzzy110, Mar 5, 5:38am
Tempeh is rather nice in dishes like that.

roshu, Mar 6, 6:48am
Quorn pieces.

motorbo, Mar 6, 7:04am
awesome thank you!

sailbell, Mar 6, 8:32am
cauliflower is also good

bev00, Mar 6, 11:16am
keeping alive

frances1266, Mar 6, 5:54pm
Simon Holst has a very good recipe for butter 'chicken' using chickpeas instead of chicken.

buzzy110, Mar 10, 8:34pm
Glad that this thread was bumped. I tried your recipe for the first time the other day and my DH, who doesn't like curried food or garlic, just raved and raved about it. I had enough for two nights and he scoffed it all up at one meal including my share. Then the next day he praised it again at breakfast. I just cannot tell how how wonderful it was that he enjoyed it so much.

A big thank you. Another bonus is that it is a very simple recipe to make as well.

ruby19, Dec 3, 11:56pm
Yum have just whipped a version of this up. Used tinned toms 2 tins, used ground cardamom, and whole fennel seeds. Unfortunately don`t have fresh coriander.
Would have loved to have paneer on hand - next time :-)

Great for an easy dinner, and great for using up bits n pieces in the fridge, meat or veggies.