Kumara Salad

gillies08, Dec 22, 6:53am
Do you have a yummy tried and tested kumara salad recipe? I have been asked to bring one on Christmas day and I have no idea where to start- overwhelmed by Google recipes.

nauru, Dec 22, 7:07am
I make one with kumera, can of chickpeas, spring onions, diced red pepper and a curry mayonnaise dressing. You can make it a day in advance too. I usually use 1 large kumera cut into chunks and steam. Forgot to add, it is also very nice if you use roasted kumera too.

nanasee1, Dec 22, 8:01am
Always popular - serve at room temperature
Curry Roast Kumara & Bacon Sala
6 medium kumara (900 grams) peeled and cut lengthwise
Olive oil
Salt & freshly ground black pepper
6 rindless rashers bacon, cut in chunks
2 tablespoons light sour cream
1 tablespoon curry powder
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 stalks celery, finely chopped
1/3 cup fresh coriander, chopped
Heat oven to 200C. Cut kumara in large chunks and place in a bowl, drizzle with oil & season. Roast for 20 minutes, add bacon and roast a further 20 minutes until kumara is tender and golden and the bacon is crisp. Remove to cool.
Whisk dressing ingredients together, season with salt and pepper.
Combine cooled kumara, bacon & celery in a bowl, scatter the coriander over and lightly dress.Serve extra dressing on the side to pour over.

moparpete, Dec 22, 8:49am
Kaipara Kumara has a website dedicated to this humble vegetable and there is a recipe of curried Kumara salad,it's lip smackingly tasty.Have a look in there website under their name,you won't be disappointed.

glasshalfull, Dec 22, 8:56am
Cut kumara into bite sized pieces and roast, add chopped red onion and mustard seeds before the end of cooking. After cooked add some chopped dried tomatoes and drizzel with a nice balsamic dressing. This is lovely served hot or cold.

glasshalfull, Dec 22, 8:58am
Steam bite sized Kumara. Mix with a dressing of Best mayonaise, sour cream and a squeeze of lemon. Add Thai koko peanuts and sprinkle on top!

gillies08, Dec 22, 8:20pm
Thanks everyone for the great ideas/recipes. I might try one out for dinner tonight.

fifie, Dec 22, 9:03pm
Kumera and orange salad with red wine vinegar dressing is yum.

wildflower, Dec 23, 2:22am
Kumera, bacon and banana are a great combo.

wendalls, Dec 23, 5:31am
+1
Also anything with cream in it. We've Had a great one with cream, bacon and can't remember sorry.

wheelz, Dec 23, 9:25am
Hmm. couldn't see a curried kumara salad there. dang

brajama, Dec 28, 7:59am
No. I couldnt find it either, Maybe they only keep their recipes up for a certain time.

panicky, Dec 28, 8:14am
I mix a couple of tablespoons mayo (real) with around a teaspoon of curry powder and about 1/2 tablespoon of wholegrain mustard, can put chopped walnuts in as well.

nauru, Dec 29, 4:20am
See post #2

hott-mama, Feb 19, 5:01pm
probably a bit late now, but I made this yesterday and everyone seemed to enjoy it .

500g kumara
2-3 sticks celery
1/2c roasted cashews or peanuts roughly chopped .
1/4 - 1/2c chopped dates
1/4c chopped fresh coriander

Dressing
1/2c plain unsweetened yoghurt
1-2tbsp sweet mango chutney
1 clove garlic minced
1 tspn curry powder
1/2 - 1 tspn salt

Peel the kumara and cut into 2-3cm cubes. Boil gently until just tender. Stir dressing ingredients together and prepare remaining ingredients.

Place cooled kumara in a large bowl with celery, nuts, dates and coriander, reserving a little of the nuts and coriander to garnish. Drizzle with dressing and gently toss to combine. Garnish then serve, or refrigerate.