Beef Brisket - how do i cook them?

lea26, May 4, 6:06am
i've had a yummy beef brisket at a chinese restaurant before and they were on special at Pak n Save so i brought them. Any suggestions for a yummy recipe, without having to splash out on heaps of extra spices and things?

245sam, May 4, 6:35am
lea26, have a look through the info' for cooking methods for your brisket:-

http://www.beeflambnz.co.nz/downloads/Today's%20Beef%20Cuts_
Cuts%20First. pdf

Note that brisket is one of the least tender cuts so slow and gentle cooking methods are those that are recommended - do you have a crockpot/slowcooker? :-))

lea26, May 4, 6:40am
THANKS 245sam - that's awesome. As a new mum the slowcooker is going to be my lifesaver! Really useful info.

rosielee3, May 4, 11:07am
x1
wow i just posted the same question! Is yours just look like a roast? We have half a cattle beast and i have meat that is labeled up as brisk, so im not sure how i cook it! Do i cover in water in my slow cooker?

rosielee3, Mar 31, 4:45pm
I have just put mine on using the below recipe. I will let you know what its like tonight

Seriously, brisket is the hardest beef to cook. At BBQ competitions this is what separates the men from the boys. You might want to learn on something easier.

Use your slow cooker! That's an easy way to melt in your mouth beef. You can use this recipe on half of your brisket.

Braised Beef Brisket

4-5 pounds brisket (that's half of what you have)
3 medium onions thinly sliced
2 chopped celery ribs
1 cup prepared chili sauce (you could use ketchup and chili powder)
1 bottle of beer (important for tenderizing)
1/2 cup water
1 package dried onion soup mix
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Put the brisket, onions and celery into the slow cooker. Mix everything else up and pour it on top. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours. I like to brown my meat in a skillet before I add it to the slow cooker but you don't have to.