Cauliflower & Cumin Fritters with Lime Sauce

bluetigerrr, Jul 31, 12:39am
WOW . tried making these and they really are very very good. And fast too :)

Cauliflower & Cumin Fritters

1 small cauliflower
1 cup flour (I used whole wheat but regular is fine too, for gluten-free use your favorite flour)
3 tbsp chopped parsley
1 garlic clove, crushed
2 shallots, finely chopped
4 farm fresh eggs
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
sunflower oil (enough to coat the bottom of your frying pan)

1. Put all the sauce ingredients in a bowl and whisk well. Taste - looking for a vibrant, tart, citrusy flavor - and adjust the seasoning. Chill or leave out up to an hour.
2. To prepare the cauliflower, trim off any leaves and use a small knife to divide the cauliflower into little florets. Add them to a large pan of boiling salted water and simmer for 15 minutes or until very soft. Drain into a colander.
3. While the cauliflower is cooking, put the flour, chopped parsley, garlic, shallots, eggs, spices, salt & pepper in a bowl and whisk together well to make a batter. When the mixture is smooth and homogeneous, add the warm cauliflower. Mix to break down the cauliflower into the batter.
4. Pour the sunflower oil into a wide pan to a depth of 1.5 cm and heat up. When it is very hot, carefully spoon in generous portions of the oil. Space the fritters apart with a spatula if need be - making sure they are not overcrowded. Fry in small batches, controlling the oil temperature so the fritters cook but don't burn. They should take 3-4 minutes on each side.
5. Remove from the pan and set on a kitchen towel. Serve with the lime sauce on the side.

Lime Sauce:
1 cup Greek yogurt
2 tsps finely chopped cilantro/flat parsley or coriander
grated zest 1 lime
2 tsp lime juice
2 tbsp olive oil
salt & pepper

cookessentials, Jul 31, 1:12am
Yum, they sound nice. I often do the curried zucchini fritters from the Revivie cook book, they are also delicious.

bluetigerrr, Jul 31, 1:42am
Oh, it that right? My sister has that book . I'll crib it off her and try them. These ones (as above) are from Yotam Ottolenghi's cookbook. His website is here: http://www.ottolenghi.co.uk/ Really amazing food he makes :)

cookessentials, Jul 31, 8:15am
I am pretty sure I posted the recipe on the vegetarian thread for someone.

cookessentials, Jul 31, 9:43pm
Here is a copy and paste of the recipe from the vegetarian thread. I did not have black sesame seeds, so just used ordinary. I now, also make them using an extra courgette to bulk them up a little more. I don't do exact measurements either, I tend to put a good amount of the Thai chilli sauce in to suit our taste and I also add freshly ground pepper and lime salt.

maynard9, Aug 1, 12:16am
I love my 2 Revive cookbooks - perhaps the first one slightly more than No 2. Use them at least a couple of times a week. Jeremy has reminded me how versatile chickpeas are.

cookessentials, Aug 1, 12:20am
I have not bought number 2 yet and I did wonder how good it was. The first one has some super recipes and we use it often too.

bev00, Aug 1, 11:05am
yummy

jaygee1962, Aug 3, 3:16am
Yum yum yum, gotta try these this week. Thanks for posting the recipe :)

samanya, Aug 4, 7:35am
I've got the first 3 Revive books . but I get so many ideas from here, I tend to forget them . & then will go back to them for weeks. they are pretty damned good, huh?

samanya, Aug 4, 7:36am
Good onya bev, for bumping to remind us all of some fab recipes.

jbsouthland, Aug 10, 5:41am
YuM !
just made these for dinner. Thanks OP . Yummy !

dibble35, Jan 7, 4:04pm
I just made these tonight, fritters are lovely. I wasnt a fan of the lime dipping saucethough. I ended up turfing it and making my own out of good quality mayo, lots lemon juice, salt and pepper and some parsley. it was much nicer. Id also add more of the spices to the fritters next time i made them, more cumin and tumeric. Yummy