LEMON DELICIOUS PUDDING

90g butter, softened
1 cup caster sugar
½ cup self-raising flour, sifted
finely grated zest 2 lemons
80ml lemon juice
4 eggs, at room temperature, separated
2 cups milk

Butter a 2-litre capacity ovenproof pudding dish.

Put butter in a smallish bowl and using an electric beater, beat until smooth and creamy. Beat in sugar a little at a time and continue beating until pale and light. Sift over flour and fold in with lemon zest and juice, egg yolks and milk. Blend well but don’t beat.

Whip egg whites to a firm snow then carefully fold in using a large spoon. Spoon into pudding dish. Bake for 40 minutes in an oven preheated to 160°C . Serve warmish, or cold with runny cream.

michelle_09, May 4, 4:34am
apple crumble is easy if you have the ingredients

michelle_09, May 4, 4:35am
ok, cookessentials, that totally beats my suggestion of apple crumble! lol

elliehen, May 4, 4:35am
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Community/MessageBoard/Messages. asp
x? id=247737

cookessentials, May 4, 4:36am
50 grams softened butter
grated rind two large lemons
1/4 cup flour, sifted
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/2 cup caster sugar
2 eggs, separated
1 cup milk

1. Beat the butter, sugar, lemon rind and egg yolks together until light and fluffy.

2. Gently stir in the flour, milk and lemon juice.

3. Put the egg whites in a clean bowl and beat until they form stiff peaks but are not dry.

4. Fold the two mixtures together and pour into a well-greased 3-4 cup capacity oven-proof dish.

5. Bake at 160°C for 30-40 minutes in a water bath until the top is golden and firm to the touch. Serve hot

This is the one I prefer done in a water bath.

biddy6, May 18, 6:51am
Thanks for posting the recipe for the Lemon Pud cookessentials (#6)
It was blimmin delicous! ! Made with lemons from my tree (been waiting years for a decent crop! ) and lovely free range eggs - should have seen the colour and the crispy top! !

But, despite cooking it in a water bath, the bottom third of it didn't cook as well as the top part but we ate it anyway as I didn't want the top to dry out. Should I do away with the water bath next time, do you think?

dezzie, May 18, 7:17am
the bottom is meant to be like lemon honey kind of, so its self saucing in a way, its a lovely pudd, one of my favourites.

bisloy, May 18, 9:52am
Simple as - a sheet of puff pastry a tin of apricots. Arrange apricots, centre down, within a centimeter of the edge of the pastry. Pop in the oven and bake until pastry puffs. Can brush over apricot jam, if you want to get fancy! Serve with slightly sweetened, whipped cream.

bisloy, May 18, 9:53am
I have to atleast double cooks recipe for the lemon pud and make something else for the kids - we eat the lemon pud when they've gone to bed! !

biddy6, May 16, 8:58am
Ohhh, no wonder we didn't have a problem with the taste of the soggy bottom then Dezzie. LOL

I have to admit that my dinner consisted only of two helpings of the pud, with cream - I did as all good cooks do whilst making it and did plenty of tasting, so I knew it was going to be a beauty! I don't have a sweet tooth so don't usually bother with puddings but this one sounded too good not to try. It'll be a regular in our house now too, me thinks!