Old Fashioned Slice Question

Page 1 / 2
fee1965, Sep 17, 8:33pm
As a kid in the 70's we used to eat a chocolate slice that had a layer of moist, coconut on top. I have googled chocolate macaroon slice, choc coconut slice but have not found what i am looking for.
Hoping trade me can help!

rainrain1, Sep 17, 9:02pm
Coconut Rough?

rainrain1, Sep 17, 9:03pm
Chocolate Rough Slice

4oz butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup flour
3/4 cup coconut
2 tsp cocoa
1 tsp BP
Cream butter and sugar together, add flour and other ingredients. Press into flat tin and cook 20 to 25 minutes in moderate oven. Take out, and while still hot pour on the following:-
1 cup icing sugar
1 cup coconut
1 oz butter
2 tsp cocoa
vanilla
mix with milk

valentino, Sep 17, 9:24pm
To the above recipe, I can imagine trying out a nice slice base or a soft biscuit recipe as a base for the above Bounty Bars hence converting into a nice overall slice - cookie.

Cheers.

lulu239, Sep 18, 1:04am
I wonder how this would be if it was put into a tin and frozen, then cut into bars before coating with chocolate. I must try it.

petal1955, Sep 18, 2:59am

nauru, Sep 18, 7:58am
Here's another recipe for Bounty Bars that I have made over the last few years, I cut the sugar to ½ and use the unsweetened shredded coconut.

1 cup coconut
2 tablsp icing sugar
2-3 tablsp condensed milk
200g chocolate for dipping

Mix together icing sugar and coconut and add enough milk to make a paste. Shape into bars and chill for 15 minutes. Meanwhile melt the chocolate and dip the bars, put on baking paper to set.
**For Christmas treats I make these into balls instead of bars. Last year I used the coconut condensed milk and cut out the sugar.
** As suggested above, I'm sure you could put the mix in a tin and chill and cut into bars before dipping too.

rainrain1, Sep 18, 6:59pm
My post #3 is the old fashioned recipe with the moist top, don't let the mixing with milk put you off, that is why the icing is nice and moist. I haven't made this for ages, but am about to do just that this morning

flower-child01, Sep 19, 9:15pm
I ditto Churchill square.

eljayv, Sep 20, 2:57am
Is this correct? I tried it and it turned out rock hard.

wheelz, Sep 21, 3:18am
Mine too!

rainrain1, Sep 22, 4:37am
Really, that's hardly good enough, I will make it one day soon and see what happens. It's a long time since I made it, and there seems to be a heck of a lot of sugar in it, I didn't take much notice of the amounts. My apologies peoples, It is just one of those old recipes written into my book

rainrain1, Sep 22, 9:32pm
I made it this morning, cooked it for 22min, mod oven, and it has turned out fine. Iced, and cut while hot. Ovens do vary, try turning yours down a smidgen

griffo4, Sep 25, 4:01am
l made this last night and it came out really nice, brought back memories from my childhood

a recipe l loved but never had, until now

Thanks

sampa, Sep 25, 4:08am
I've searched through my cooking books (many from the era mentioned) and searched also online and can't get a specific handle on this one. Would really love to know exactly what the slice is that fee was referring to. Fingers crossed she(?) pops back in to offer more info and clues at some point.

rainrain1, Sep 25, 6:51am
Good to know :)

trish822, Sep 26, 3:55am
I have a recipe I made a lot in the "old days" It's not particularly healthy but it is yummy and sounds like the slice you've described.
Coconut Rough
200 gems butter, 1 cup coconut, 2 tabs cocoa, 1 1/2 cups flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp BP. Melt butter and mix into dry ingredients. Press into Swiss roll tin and bake @ 160 for approx 15 - 20 mins.
While still hot spread with topping -
1 1/2 cups coconut , 1 1/2 cups icing sugar, 1 1/2 tabs cocoa, 150 gms butter, 1/2 can condensed milk. melt butter and mix into other ingredients.
I sometimes made 2 at once and froze one to save storing 1/2 tin of condensed milk.

griffo4, Sep 26, 7:09am
l gave most of it away and got great reviews back it vanished in one afternoon and has been requested that l make it again

griffo4, Sep 26, 7:11am
Here are 2 recipes l have from 2010 that are from here

CHOCOLATE ROUGH
1/2 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1 tablespoon cocoa powder
1/3 cup caster sugar
1/3 cup desiccated coconut
125g butter, melted
For the topping:
1 cup icing sugar
1 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1 tablespoon softened butter
2/3 cup desiccated coconut
1 cup condensed milk
Preheat oven to 180°C. Lightly grease a 20 x 30cm slice tin. Line with baking paper.
Sift flours and cocoa powder into a bowl. Stir through sugar and coconut. Make a well in the centre and pour in melted butter. Press into prepared pan. Bake for 20 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool.
Meanwhile, sift icing sugar and cocoa powder into a bowl. Stir through softened butter and then coconut and condensed milk. Spread over cooled base and refrigerate until set.

Chocolate rough slice
base
115g butter
115g sugar
200g flour
2 teaspoons cocoa
pinch of salt
1/2 cup coconut
1 teaspoon baking powder

topping
1 cup icing sugar
25g melted butter
2 teaspoons cocoa
1 cup coconut
1/4 tin sweetened condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence

Preheat oven to 180 C
For the base, beat butter and sugar together until pale and creamy.
Mix in dry ingredients and then press into a slice tin.
Bake for 15 minutes.
Mix all topping ingredients together until well mixed and pour over the hot base.
Leave to sit for 10 minutes or so but cut while still warmish.

rainrain1, Sep 26, 8:02am
I was thinking next time I might double the topping, or 1 + 1/2ing it

griffo4, Sep 27, 4:36am
l had the same thought
What size tin do you make yours in?
l used an expanding tin and pulled it out till l had it about what l wanted and went from there but had to spread out the icing thinly

rainrain1, Sep 27, 5:08am
Aha I used the same, an expanding tin, makes for a nice thick base. The sponge roll tins, or slice tins are too long now, which might be the reason some are baking them to a crisp. I love my expanding tin, and use it a lot

griffo4, Sep 27, 7:59am
Yes l have a few go to tins and when l am unsure of recipe l use my good old expanding tin

Looking in cookbooks today for recipes for choc rough and came away with 3 recipes l want to try

one is basically a marmalade Louise cake

then a grated apple slice and what looks like a coconut version of lemon meringue pie so will be trying them out when l get time and only 1 recipe with a tin size so the expanding tin will be busy

clareo, Sep 27, 9:00pm

griffo4, Sep 29, 1:20am
l have that recipe for many years and make if often
It disappears quickly every time