Can someone please help me

griffo4, Sep 15, 10:34pm
There was a recipe on here for a slice that you made up the base and baked then you made up the topping (think it had CM in it) and poured over the top and waited for it to set before cutting or did l just dream it?

TIA

245sam, Sep 15, 10:55pm
griffo4, IMO you didn't "just dream it" - I'm sure there are lots of slices that fit your description but can you think of anything more to help identify which slice you're thinking of - e.g. was it any of the following.
a chocolate caramel slice
Neenish slice - from memory, chocolate base baked then spread with raspberry jam, topped with a mock cream type mix, then iced with chocolate icing.
a slice that I know of as Chocolate Icecream Square but I have seen it called by other names. It has a baked chocolate base that is topped with a creamy mix of butter, icing sugar, essence (I use vanilla but I have seen another version that uses almond essence), egg and flour. This topping is then sprinkled with crumbled flake or grated chocolate and is left to set - it is not baked.

I'm sure there are lots more slices that fit your description but the above are a few that spring to mind. :-))

griffo4, Sep 15, 11:04pm
Thank you sam l thought it had a cocoa base then you mixed up the topping in a pot then poured over hot base and put toppings on that
Will have to go through and try to remember what it was

griffo4, Sep 15, 11:30pm
l found it written on a scrap of paper, no wonder l couldn't find it on my computer and l have no idea where l got it from now ;-)
Here it is anyway someone here will know where it came from, hopefully

Choc Rough Slice

115g butter
115g sugar
200g flour
2 teaspoons cocoa
pinch salt
1/2 cup coconut
1 teaspoon baking powder

Topping
1 cup icing sugar
25g melted butter
2 teaspoons cocoa
1 cup coconut
1/4 tin condensed milk
1/2 teaspoon vanilla

Base
Beat butter and sugar till pale
Mix in dry ingredients
Press into tin
Bake 15 minutes

Topping
mix all ingredients well and pour over hot base
Leave sit for 10 minutes or so then cut

sampa, Sep 16, 12:01am
That sounds easy, I might give it a go later today thanks. 180 degrees do you think? I'll just watch to make sure the base doesn't start to get too brown.

sampa, Sep 16, 12:03am
Thanks 245sam. I see it is 180 from the original posting you've linked. :)

griffo4, Sep 16, 12:30am
Thank you sam, you are a treasure

l went through my history and still couldn't find anything so went through my scrap bits of paper l use to do the recipes but usually have a copy on my computer and have noted the temperature as well, thanks

would you be kind enough to share your late aunt"s recipes?
l love those old recipes,

l have been making an older version of hokey pokey biscuits they have gone down well with overseas visitors eating them for breakfast with a cup of tea ;-)

245sam, Sep 16, 1:07am
Here you are griffo4.

CHOCOLATE ROUGH
225g butter
140g sugar
1 egg
2 cups flour
2 tbsp cocoa
1 cup coconut

Cream the butter and sugar. Beat in the egg, then add the flour, cocoa and coconut. Mix all together. Press into a shallow tin (Aunty Margaret added this note “these quantities fit a large roasting dish”).
Bake at 180ºC.
Ice while still warm with the
Icing:
2 cups each of icing sugar and coconut
2 tbsp cocoa
55g butter
vanilla essence
hot water to mix

Aunty Margaret lost her life to breast cancer 41 years ago so obviously her version of the recipe was not in metrics; those in the recipe above are my conversions. :-))

petal1955, Sep 16, 1:37am
MAGIC BARS

120grms Butter

1 & 1/2 cups biscuit crumbs (vanilla or round wine)

1 tin condensed milk

1 cup chocolate melts

1 & 1/3 cup shredded coconut

1/2 cup chopped dried apricots

1 cup chopped almonds

Preheat oven to 180deg C. Melt butter in slice tray in the oven. Sprinkle crumbs over the melted butter, pour condensed milk evenly over the crumbs. Top with remaining ingredients.
Press down firmly. Bake 20-25 minutes until lightly browned.
Cool. Cut in bars.

nauru, Sep 16, 8:44am
Petal's recipe is a good one, really easy to make. I have often made a similar recipe known as No bowl cake from AWW cake book. I use walnuts instead of almonds too.

summersunnz, Oct 24, 12:14am
Thanks so much for sharing her recipe. I've been looking for a tried-and-true chocolate rough recipe, this fits perfectly - thankyou 245sam :-)