What to do with soup grains?

..james.., Nov 11, 7:48am
hi I have a few large jars of mixed dried barley,peas,lentils and other things in them that I didn't make soup from in the winter. Other than soup is there any other nice meals that can be made from these? thank you .

petal1955, Nov 11, 7:50am
Thicken a Shepherds/Cottage pie with them

245sam, Nov 11, 7:54am
Barley Risotto, Dhal - a couple of things that spring to mind but there are lots of uses for those pulses other than them being just "soup grains". Lentils can be added to mince dishes to not only thicken them but to make the meat go further. :-))

daarhn, Nov 11, 7:54am
make a dahl

..james.., Nov 11, 8:02am
Great thank you. Now Im thinking spices and indian food. Better than just soup.

mustu, Nov 12, 7:57am
When we went grain free I cooked up all my soup mix and fed it to the chooks!

summersunnz, Nov 13, 10:45am
I saw on a tv programme recently how barley was popped, using the same method as making popcorn, would think it would have a nutty flavour.

uli, Nov 13, 10:07pm
Why not keep it?
In only 5 months you will be making more soup for the next cold spell!
If you are worried about weevils then keep it in the freezer.

sampa, Nov 14, 10:42am
uli's idea is a good one, just stash it away in the freezer. Maybe in some zip-lock bags, all ready for next seasons soup making.

rainrain1, Nov 14, 7:36pm
Put a handful in your next beef casserole

sampa, Nov 14, 11:33pm
I've done similar with a mince dish (no recipe - made up to suit available food to hand at the time) and a can of veggie and grain soup. Was really yummy I, can see that the addition of grains to a casserole would work well too.

uli, Nov 15, 2:47am
Must admit that barley in a nice casserole of meat and veges will not excite me. In a winter soup yes. Hence my idea to simply store it all away for a few more months.

rainrain1, Nov 15, 3:03am
Yes it's delish, adds a different texture to the meat, barley is especially good. two small handfuls, not one. very good indeedy

tony473, Nov 15, 8:01am
Although I thought they boiled it first, would pay to check.

uli, Jun 26, 3:08am
You can only "pop" dry grains.