The best thing you ever did with lentils.

After reading about the health benefits of lentils I bought some last week. I could only find green lentils at my local supermarket - are they usually so difficult to find or is my supermarket useless? Anyway I did make some soup which was edible but very uninteresting. Anybody have a WOW lentil recipe using easily obtainable and inexpensive ingredients?

Chef_paora-tm, Jun 10, 11:36 pm

Look up Indian vegetarian recipes, there are plenty of lentils and split peas there. I have two recipes, one Greek and one Indian that I cook on a regular basis but I am off to bed now so don't have time to post.

Chef_village.green, Jun 10, 11:39 pm

The best thing? Binned them.

Chef_lythande1, Jun 11, 8:07 am

To get the "health benefits" from lentils you probably need to eat a container full each day.

Chef_wasgonna, Jun 11, 10:40 am

One of my favourite green/Puy lentil recipes is Mudjadarrah (sp) sometimes called Mejadra or something similar. Is simple but delicious. Deb Madison has a good recipe. 101 Cookbooks blog's latest recipe posted sounds good also, based on a Deborah Madison one.

Chef_frances1266, Jun 11, 10:40 am

A hearty cottage pie thick with vegetables, chilli, garlic etc and a soy sauce gravy all topped with mash and plenty of melted cheese.

ETA: Alison Holst's Meals Without Meat has some great recipes.

Chef_roshu, Jun 11, 11:33 am

Agree! They have anti nutrients too for many people. Like chickpeas they only taste acceptable when delicious ingredients are added to them.

Chef_bedazzledjewels, Jun 11, 11:56 am

There are some really tasty recipes with red lentils, like dahl, and various soups. Have a look on google or recipe sites.

Chef_irenew, Jun 11, 12:34 pm

The only form of lentils I eat is in Dosa, Idli and Uttapam batter, for which the lentils are soaked and fermented. Uttapam are really delicious, very easy to make and I don't have any ill effects from eating them.

Chef_davidt4, Jun 11, 12:34 pm

Threw them out!
I can't eat them

Chef_winnie15, Jun 11, 4:33 pm

Chef_bluetigerrr, Jun 11, 5:27 pm

Chef_bluetigerrr, Jun 11, 5:27 pm

great budget addition to main meals.

Chef_sossie1, Jun 11, 5:28 pm

We eat a lot on lentils - in dhals when having a curry - lentil burgers (which I much prefer to beef burgers even though Im not vegetarian) - sausage and lentil hotpot - lentil salads etc.
They are great also for people cooking on a budget as they can bulk up a mince meal.
P.S - there are lots of different types of lentils (supermarkets usually only stock brown & green) but a Binn Inn type place or Indian grocer would be the best place to find them :)

Chef_antoniab, Jun 11, 5:44 pm

we trimmed them up a little bit, and put them in the slug gun to shoot a mouse in the kitchen (didn't bother the mouse btw). had run out of pellets. lol. sorry - but that was the best use I"ve ever found for them.

Chef_mottly, Jun 11, 6:07 pm

vegetarian moussaka, dahl, puy lentil salad

Chef_radark, Jun 11, 6:12 pm

My favourite way is in a salad with bits of feta cheese, salt, pepper, loads of lemon juice and olive oil as a base then add anything else you like such as sundried tomatoes, spring onions, red onion, fresh tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum, raw mushrooms, large handfuls of parsley.

The secret is to chop things to about the same size as the lentils so that each forkful has lots of flavourful ingredients.

Chef_dk33, Jun 11, 7:05 pm

This lentil shepherd's pie is delicious - I am not vegetarian but I love it and make it often. A slug of red wine and a dash of Worcestershire sauce bring it to perfection.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/food-wine/recipes/9932074/Winter-warmer-Tasty-lentil-shepherds-pie

We usually buy puy lentils from Piko or a similar wholefoods store but I think I've seen them in Countdown recently. They must have got different stock for winter.

Chef_daisyhill, Jun 11, 9:57 pm

Well, that's a start. I already googled for recipes, as suggested by people, and ended up making a soup I was really disappointed with!

Chef_paora-tm, Jun 12, 6:44 pm

If you print the soup recipe here some of us might be able to tell you what the soup needs to make it tasty. I love lentils, they are tasty and versatile.

Chef_frances1266, Jun 12, 9:18 pm

This one sounds a bit boring, but it is surprisingly good http://allrecipes.com/recipe/lentil-soup/

Chef_kaylfrazer, Jun 15, 6:31 pm

Put some in your meat casserole

Chef_rainrain1, Jun 15, 6:37 pm

I have tried a lot of recipes with both chickpeas & lentils over a long time . adventurous & ordinary recipes & I tend to agree with you, they are just 'padding' & I'd rather pad out a meal with fresh vegetables . but I do just love home made hummus . go figure?

Chef_samanya, Jun 15, 6:57 pm

Raw lentil chilli . delicious.

Chef_cookessentials, Jun 16, 8:17 am

Lentil Burgers

1 cup brown lentils
3 cups water
1 onion, finely chopped
3 tablespoons cottage cheese
1 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
Salt & pepper
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups dried breadcrumbs

Soak lentils for 2 hours if time permits. Otherwise simmer till tender. Watch carefully to make sure they don't boil dry. Drain if necessary.
Add onion, cottage cheese, marjoram, coriander, salt and pepper.
Beat 1 egg and add, mixing well.
Add enough breadcrumbs to make the mixture manageable. Form into patties, balls or whatever shape you want.
Beat second egg and dip the rissoles then role in remaining breadcrumbs.
Fry till golden.

You can vary the flavour by adding different herbs and spices.

Chef_jynx66, Jun 16, 9:17 am

If you are new to lentils the best way to start using them is to disguise them. Boil your green lentils and then freeze them in little bundles. Add a little bundle to soups, mince (eg lasagna mince or nacho mince), any Indian style dish. You will soon find out what way you enjoy them most, The red/orange lentils cook the fastest and turn into mush, so they are much more subtle in dishes.

Chef_chchers, Jun 16, 10:15 am

I wonder if some people binned them because they were hard and inedible. If that is the case you need to know that if you are cooking them from scratch (dry lentils) do NOT add any salt until tender otherwise they will not tenderise ever. Once cooked, drain and add your other ingredients including salt or soy sauce.

Chef_roshu, Jun 16, 12:08 pm

Legumes are a good source of protein, more so than other fresh vegetables. It is a good addition to the diet for those of us who are wary of consuming too much meat.

Chef_hestia, Jun 16, 12:41 pm

lentil burger patties are yum. and I love lentil salads

Chef_motorbo, Jun 16, 2:48 pm

Havent tried them myself but have heard Alison Holst's lentil burgers are very good.

Chef_frances1266, Jun 16, 4:40 pm

Thanks hestia, I did know that, but I'm not a vegetarian although lean that way & have cut back on meat a heap . as a lot of us have these days.

Chef_samanya, Jun 16, 4:50 pm

Legumes really should be soaked till they just start to sprout and the soaking water tossed. This will get rid of anti-nutrients and enzyme inhibitors, both of which cause bloating and difficulty with digestion.

Lentils supposedly don't require soaking but I always used to anyway.

Remember that legumes should not have salt added to the cooking medium until they are fully softened, or they will stay hard, once again causing difficulties with digestion and bloating as well as palatability.

I used to pre-cook lentils and then use them in any dish that mince would be used - i.e. instead of the mince. You are limited only by your imagination. From past experience I do not think it a good idea to mix them with pasta, potatoes or rice as they definitely caused me extra painful bloating.

Chef_buzzy110, Jun 16, 5:12 pm

Same here. I hardly ever eat dried legumes, but I do make hummus. I soak the chick peas for 24 hours or longer in a couple of changes of water, then cook them without salt until they are completely soft. I can eat the hummus without any digestive upsets.

I also make versions of hummus using beetroot, carrot or other root vege as a base instead of chick peas, and the flavours of tahini, garlic and lemon are even tastier than in the chick pea version.

Chef_davidt4, Jun 16, 5:33 pm

You're welcome.

Chef_hestia, Jun 16, 8:00 pm

Yesterday I made the lentil recipe from 101 cookbooks, link at post 12 above. It is really delicious. I used olive oil instead of dairy.

Chef_frances1266, Jun 17, 6:59 am

There are many lentil recipes on that page: which particular one are you referring to.

Chef_jynx66, Jun 17, 2:54 pm

Lentils with wine glazed vegetables, post no. 11 and 12.

Chef_frances1266, Jun 17, 3:03 pm

Buy a can of lentils. Drain , add half to mince and freeze the rest

Chef_vomo2, Jun 18, 8:58 pm

we make lentil burger patties or use them in a lasagne instead of meat

Chef_jordon, Jun 19, 2:49 pm

for lentil lovers

Chef_bev00, Jun 19, 11:22 pm

I made lentil rissoles and the recipe required Coriander, which I don't like so I used dried Cumin, they were awesome, hot or cold. Lost the recipe in the EQ, but I'm sure their all fairly similar.

Chef_deanna14, Jun 21, 7:43 pm

Today I was too rushed so I bought a Lisa's hummus, I don't remember which one it was as I had to take it to a lunch, but it came with a packet of toasted pumpkin seeds that you sprinkled on top, it was awesome. So when I make my hummus the toasted pumpkin seeds are going to be a must.

Chef_deanna14, May 12, 12:58 pm

Share this thread