Condensed milk salad dressing

chookpan, Dec 14, 10:57pm
Usually make this with just vinegar condensed milk and mustard. Pretty sure my late mother in law put eggs in hers to make it thicker. Does anyone else do it with eggs please.

cgvl, Dec 14, 11:30pm
No I don't make it with eggs but you can. Have seen a recipe somewhere but a quick search failed to find it.

bubbles22222, Dec 15, 12:39am
it can be on the highlander milk tin sometimes, and it doesn't have eggs in

gbking, Dec 15, 12:49am
1 can Highlander Sweetened Condensed Milk (395g)
1 cup DYC malt Vinegar
1 teaspoon Salt
2 teaspoons Colman's Mustard Powder (Hot)
1. Blend all ingredients. Leave for a few minutes and watch it thicken up.
2. Nice refrigerated for an hour or two before use. Will keep in the fridge for a few weeks in a sealed container.

valentino, Dec 15, 1:23am
Hi, I have moved on from the "CM" type salad dressing but yeah, add an egg and blend it all together via a shaker. I even have one of those special Tupperware things that does this mix lovely, lol. Rarely used now.

The trick was, mix the mustard with salt and a wee bit of vinegar first, mainly to get these smaller measures well mix and dissolved then add the CM then add an egg and a bit more vinegar, shake the bugger out-of-it then check - taste and alter the texture - thickness by adding more vinegar or milk or both, (yep - milk cab be added as well if you wish to keep the vinegary taste down.

I noted that I have moved on from this as I have a warning re my sugar count. Now into dressings more naturally low on sugar mainly.

Cheers.

245sam, Dec 15, 4:26am
chookpan, you might like to try this recipe which I was given by a very good and well-experienced cook who was a member of my DH's extended family - sadly she is no longer with us.

SALAD DRESSING
2 eggs
4 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp butter, melted
1 x 395g can sweetened condensed milk
pinch salt
1 tsp ready-made mustard
½ cup vinegar

Beat the eggs, sugar and butter together well until thick. Gradually pour in the sweetened condensed milk, then add the salt, mustard and lastly, the vinegar. Store in the refrigerator – it keeps well if given the chance.

Hope that helps. :-))

petal1955, Dec 15, 4:43am
½ can HIGHLANDER Sweetened Condensed Milk
½ cup salad oil
½ cup white vinegar or lemon juice
2 egg yolks
½ tsp salt
1 tsp prepared mustard
dash cayenne pepper

maximus44, Dec 15, 5:44am
x1
My mother used to make a lovely dressing with condensed milk and she used to softly poach 2 eggs and beat them into it.

illusion_, Dec 16, 7:37am
highlander sweetened condensed milk
malt vinegar
mustard powder

and the bit that almost everyone missed . a dash of milk

the vinegar reacts with the milk and thickens it. IF you wish to thin it down a bit later, just add a dash of milk and stir in well. it will thicken up again later

rainrain1, Dec 16, 8:17am
It's good with a hint of wasabi paste mixed through for those that like it

awoftam, Apr 6, 6:52pm
Disgusting lol. When I was growing up my friends mother's all made it and I loved it lol - my Mum is Type 1 so we had vinaigrettes instead and I hated them. Funny how things change!