Left over Christmas Ham

monty4ever, Jan 4, 10:25pm
Have had enough ham now (on third one). I know it doesn't freeze very well - any suggestions on what to do with what is left as too good just to end up just sitting in the fridge until its time to put in the bin.

rainrain1, Jan 4, 11:30pm
It freezes just fine, it's got to at my place!

hedggy, Jan 5, 12:07am
I just made pea and ham soup with ours after cutting off some ham steaks to freeze for later use

chatsmom, Jan 5, 12:15am
I googled this myself last night. I'm making a ham and asparagus quiche tonight, tomorrow its ham hash cakes and then ham fried rice.
Lots more options via google.

monty4ever, Jan 5, 12:51am
Thanks guys. Thinking maybe freezing chunks that will be fine for savoury muffins/quiche etc and soup in the winter.

lythande1, Jan 5, 1:09am
Of course it freezes well. Cut into ham steaks and freeze for later.

kaddiew, Jan 5, 1:19am
I usually have some diced in the freezer, along with diced bacon, salami etc, to use in stuffed/baked spuds.

petal1955, Jan 5, 3:52am
Goes watery when frozen. but ok for soups and quiches . not very good if you want a ham sammie or fried ham and eggs

twindizzy, Jan 5, 3:58am
as above goes watery. get some thick ham steaks on the bbq and add to crust bread and mustard.

bubblegirlblack, Jan 5, 4:45am
I make a big batch of macaroni cheese and put into small lots for lunches in the freezer and it's absolutely fine.

rainrain1, Jan 5, 5:26am
I freeze half a huge leg of ham every Xmas. Any water after thawing gets dried off with paper towels, and you would never know it had been frozen. It's beautiful! I also use paper towels on the ham steaks . who would know that has ever been frozen? Not a one!

norse_westie, Jan 5, 5:37am
I slice it thickly, preferably with some fat and glaze still on but fine without. I roll each slice around in the juice/glaze in the pan it was cooked in, wrap a decent amount in two layers of tin foil and freeze. Then I bring it out and defrost for 3 hours, then drain off water and rewrap, dump onto BBQ and heat for about 30 mins. Absolutely the best way to eat ham.

nauru, Jan 5, 10:59am
I agree rainrain, I do this too and as long as the ham is dried properly after it has thawed out, it's very hard to tell that it's been frozen. I also interleave slices or steaks with baking paper before wrapping and freezing.

rainrain1, Jan 5, 7:31pm
Yes the good old freezer, where would we be without them I wonder. In the old house nearby, there are hooks in the high wash house ceiling where they used to hang the bacon to cure. I'm not sure if it stayed there after curing, or where they kept it after that.

dreamers, Jan 5, 7:35pm

sampa, Jan 5, 7:35pm
Some really good ideas here - I like the one for the mac 'n cheese with ham, might do that with the tiny bit I have to use up today and put aside in the freezer for quick back to work lunches for hubby thanks. Then on to ham number 2 next week so the freezing info is much appreciated because it's on the rather large side for a small family (that includes the dog who thinks Christmas ham turns up magically just for her. :)

Quick idea that just sprang to mind - ham and veg kebabs on the barbie. Maybe with some fresh pineapple (or canned if no fresh) included. Will give that a go as an alternative to the more usual ham steaks one night I think.

rainrain1, Jan 5, 7:47pm
Looks good!

porsh_a, Jan 6, 8:53am
My grandmother used to mince the last of her Christmas hams, then add chopped up parsley and mayonnaise - it made a very yummy sandwich filling :) It froze quite well too.

dreamers, Feb 7, 1:52am
Have just had this tonight with an avocado courgette and mango salad and forgotten how nice it is