Crock Pot Recipes

muffin2, Jul 7, 10:27pm
after our Crock pot broke in the Feb 2011 earthquake, wife & I (Now in Akld) have finally got around to buying a new crock pot!

Yesterday we made a delicious ham hock soup, but would like some casserole recipes using chicken thighs , drums or blade / chuck steak or even lentils.

I know I could search online, but I'm sure some of you have tried and trusted crock pot recipes you can share :-)

thanks in advance

uli, Jul 7, 10:52pm
Malay Crockpot Beef Curry

1-1.2 kg gravy beef cubed,
2 Tbls ground coriander,
1 Tbls ground cumin,
1-2 tsp chilli powder,
2 tsps Chinese Five Spice powder,
1 tsp turmeric,
3 Tbls oil,
1 medium onion, quartered and sliced,
4 cardomom pods, squashed,
1 x 5cm cinnamon stick,
1 whole star anise 'flower',
6 cloves,
4 medium potatoes, cubed,
3/4 cup coconut cream,
1 cup boiling water,
2 Tbls cornflour,
2-3 Tbls lemon juice,
1-2 tsps salt,
1 cup frozen green beans or peas, optional.

Turn the slow cooker on to HIGH to preheat.

Place cubed meat in a bowl.
Measure in the first 5 spices and toss everything together so the meat is evenly coated with the spice mixture.

Heat half the oil in a large frypan.
Add the onion and cook until soft, then add half the meat mixture.
Cook, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes until the meat is lightly browned, then transfer to the slow cooker.

Heat the remaining oil and brown the rest of the meat before adding to the slow cooker.

Add the whole spices, potatoes, coconut cream and water to the cooker, stir to combine, then put on the lid and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours.

Stir the cornflour and lemon juice together in a small bowl, then gently stir this in with the curry, adding salt to taste.

Turn the cooker onto HIGH, (stir in the beans/peas if using) and cook for 30 minutes.

uli, Jul 7, 10:56pm
Crockpot Hangi

Wrap all veges, meat etc in banana leaves (or tin foil) as per traditional hangi and then sit in crockpot with a smidgen of water at the bottom.

To make individual servings use banana leaves or tin foil.
Put cabbage leaves down first, then veges, meat and stuffing (if liked) together on top of the cabbage.
Put another couple of cabbages leaves over the veges.
Wrap everything up in the tinfoil, preferably encasing everything with the cabbage and pop in crock pot.

Salt it once out of crock pot and ready to eat.

You can use cabbage, potato, kumera, pumpkin, a ball of stuffing about the size of a golf ball.
Mix and match the meat, as per a traditional hangi a lamb or pork chop and a piece of chicken per parcel.

For a smoky taste add smoked pork slices to the packets or use a few drops of liquid smoke.

Cook on high for approx. 6-8 hours.

wendalls, Jul 8, 8:11am
Welcome back Uli?!?
Muffin2 be wary of the temperature of your new crockpot. It may be much hotter than your old one and may ruin any beef you leave in for too long. Test it out on low checking it early on. Ive had a few dried out horrible cuts of beef.

uli, Jul 9, 2:51am
Thanks wendalls - do I know you?

sampa, Jul 9, 3:10am
Next to pea and ham soup our favourite in CP would have to be corned beef and then beef stew (well. maybe more mine than hubbys but he knows better than to complain lol). Agree, watch those 'high' settings on the newer - we now have to call them 'slow cookers' apparently, crock-pot is not de rigeuer any longer - too bad, still crock-pot to me! I haven't tried anything very adventurous in mine for a while now so, hopefully, you'll get loads of good ideas that other readers (like me) can benefit from. :)

madj, Jul 9, 8:04am
SLOW COOKER IRISH BEEF STEW

500g beef stew meat
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium onion, chopped
2 medium carrots, chopped
2 medium Russet potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 tablespoons tomato paste
1 tablespoon lower-sodium soy sauce
2 1/2 cups low sodium beef broth
1/4 cup beer
1/4 cup red wine
2 bay leaves
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup peas
2 tablespoons flour
1 tablespoon cooking oil

Directions
Sprinkle stew meat with salt and toss till well combined. Using a fork, prick the meat in multiple places to tenderize. Cover and refrigerate for at least an hour, but ideally refrigerate overnight.
Toss the meat with flour. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil and then sear meat until browned on the outside.
While meat is browning, mix together tomato paste, soy sauce, beef stock (use more if you like it more soupy than stewy) and Guinness & red wine (if using) in slow cooker.
Transfer meat (browned or not) to slow cooker. Add garlic, onions, carrots, potatoes, bay leaves, and black pepper.
Cook on low for 6 to 7 hours or high for 3 to 4 until meat is falling apart and tender.
If using peas, microwave for ~1 minute and then fold them into stew.
Remove bay leaves. Season to taste with salt and pepper and enjoy!

madj, Jul 9, 8:06am
When we had this I did find it a wee bit salty, I used beef gravy mix (bistro brand instead of gravox) so maybe a salt reduced or using an alternative might be better. But the meat was rich and really nice.

Chunky Steak Pie (slow cooker recipe)

1kg chuck steak diced
1 onion diced
1 can cream of chicken soup(no water added)
1 beef stock cube(no water)
3-4 tablespoons of gravox (dry)
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
1/2 teaspoon of pepper
About 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce(maybe a little bit more)
Splash of worcestershire sauce

Coat beef in flour and brown in butter over medium heat(doesn’t have to be fully cooked through) add onion half way through to soften.

Mix all other ingredients in slow cooker and add beef. Cook on low for 8 hours.

If mixture starts to get dry add a little bit of water, depending on slow cooker heat.

Preheat oven to 170 degrees.
Line baking dish with puff pastry, scoop beef mixture in and put a sheet of pastry on top and cut to fit dish.
Cook in oven for about 20 minutes or until pastry is a nice golden colour.
No need to blind bake pie base.

madj, Jul 9, 8:06am
Slow Cooked Lamb Casserole

We had this with creamy mash, made with potato ricer and added butter and a splash of milk.

1 1/2 kgs diced lamb
1 cup vegetable stock (liquid)
1 cup boiling water
1 bunch spring onion sliced
2 potato large quartered
2 carrot large quartered
500 g frozen peas and corn
425 g can condensed tomato soup
425 g Italian-style canned diced tomato
1 tbs worcestershire sauce
2 tsp curry powder
3 garlic clove crushed
1 tsp pepper to taste
1 tsp oregano to taste

Method

STEP 1 Dust lamb with plain flour and add liquids to slow cooker.
STEP 2 Add lamb and all other ingredients.
STEP 3 Cook on low heat for 8-10 hours.
STEP 4 If gravy too thin thicken with a cornflour and water mix and switch to high for 10 minutes.

madj, Jul 9, 8:09am
Not chicken or chuck beef but worthwhile trying

Slow Cooker Devilled Sausages

Ingredients
8 sausages (thick or thin)
1 tbsp seeded mustard
1 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tbsp Worcestireshire sauce
1 tsp crushed garlic
3tbsp tomato paste
1 pinch of salt
1 tbsp cornflour
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 onion sliced

Method
Separate the sausages and set aside. Peel and chop the onion and set aside. Spray or lightly grease the inside of the slow cooker with olive oil. Measure everything else and place in the slow cooker with 3/4 cup water. Stir to form a sauce. Add the onion. Add the sausages and turn to coat in the sauce. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Stir the sausages after approximately 5-7 hours, otherwise do it shortly before serving. Add extra hot water if mixture becomes too thick.Serve on a bed of mashed potatoes with a side of greens and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley. Enjoy!

madj, Jul 9, 8:11am
Slow Cooker Butter Chicken with Homemade Naan Bread

1 tablespoon olive oil
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 onion, diced
1 425ml can light coconut milk
170g tomato paste
2tablespoons whole wheat flour
2 teaspoons garam masala
1teaspoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or more, to taste
1/2 teaspoon ginger powder
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1-1.3kg boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 2-inch pieces
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves

Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook,stirring frequently, until onions have become translucent, about 2-3minutes. Stir in coconut milk, tomato pasta, flour, garam masala,curry powder, chili powder and ginger powder until well combined and slightly thickened, about 1-2 minutes; season with salt and pepper,to taste.
Place chicken into a slow cooker. Add sauce mixture andgently toss to combine. Cover and cook on low heat for 5 hours.
Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro, if desired.

NAAN BREAD

1½ cups warm milk
½ tsp yeast
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
3½-4 cups of all-purpose flour
4-5 tbsp melted butter
¼ tsp garlic powder (optional) or use crushed garlic
salt (optional)

Instructions

add yeast and sugar to warm milk, let stand 3-5 minutes
add salt and 3½ cups flour to milk mixture and mix in mixer with dough hook for 3-5 minutes or about 8-10 minutes if mixing by hand, Sprinkle additional flour as needed to keep dough from sticking to the sides. Do not exceed 4¼ cups.
Let rise for 2 hours or do the quick oven rising method (heat oven to 220 degrees whle preparing dough, place dough in glass dish and cover, turn oven off and leave for 30 minutes or until doubles in size)
Punch dough down and divide into 12 equal pieces.
Form pieces into balls and let rest for 30 minutes (cover with plastic wrap or clean dish towel)
Put your stone(s) in oven and preheat oven to 260 degrees
Roll out dough balls to desired thickness (about the size of a small tortilla)
Cook rolled out dough on stone for 2-4 minutes
Stack cooked Naan on top of each other and brush each side with butter
(If you desire you can add ¼ tsp garlic powder and a couple shakes of salt to your melted butter). I used crushed garlic and chopped parsley in the melted butter.

deb821, Jul 12, 2:29am
Mccormick make lovely selection of slow cooker flavours satchels. Been using mine once a week and it lasts for two meals.

ruby2shoes, Jul 12, 4:12am
I may have to copy n paste the whole thread! Reckon I might buy the boy a crockpot for his birthday!

2spotties, Mar 20, 1:44am
I found this slowcooker page on facebook and it is amazinng
http://www.slowcookercentral.com/recipe/
This is the link to the recipe archive. So many choices.
Most of these are in a book too