Making meat patties.

lindymf55, Aug 15, 4:26am
Any ideas for what I can add to mince to make tasty meat patties.

Thank you.

samanya, Aug 15, 5:01am
onion, garlic, sweet chilli sauce, Worcestershire sauce, tomato sauce, Soy sauce (not all of them at once ;o) fresh or dried herbs. Some of those bought spicy flavourings like Tuscan, chilli & lime etc by Masterfoods can add a touch of flavour.
It depends on which way your taste buds lean, I guess

kids4ever, Aug 15, 5:08am
worcester sauce is very salty so be careful if you use it, i would personally not use it, i use gratted carrot, chopped onion, wee bit chopped parsley and small sqirt of tomato sauce

samanya, Aug 15, 5:58am
& that.
The little masterfoods jar spices are salty too.

petal1955, Aug 15, 6:06am
RISSOLES/MEATBALLS

1 Large onion chopped and cooked in a little butter in the microwave
add that to a large mixing bowl
1 teaspoon of crushed garlic
1 teaspoon of fresh ginger
1 tablespoon of HP sauce or tomato sauce
good dash of worcestershire sauce
good dash of soya sauce
1 teaspoon dry mustard powder
1 tbsp baking powder (this stops the mixture breaking up)
also I add a small spoon full of made mustard I use Coleman Hot English plus beef stock powder and any other you might like to add for flavour
1 tablespoons of brown sugar
1/2 -3/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 egg
500 grms of mince

Mix well and place in plastic bag in fridge overnight for all flavours to mix. Shape into patties/balls with wet hands and fry.

auckland63, Aug 15, 6:42am
Cumin, turmeric, celery salt, curry powder. soy sauce and tomato sauce both must, and of course black pepper.

fifie, Aug 15, 7:09am
This is a great meat pattie recipe thanks to Fisher. Have made these up by the bucketful lol, for our club barbies in summer, and they are well loved not to spicy.Make as many as you like. Large amounts i double/triple things depending on how many i'm making.
Thaw your amount of minced beef by placing in fridge overnight. Break up finely into a bowl.
Dice two med onions and place one in the mince and fry the other in a little oil till near burnt. Add cooked onion to mince.
Now add to the mince 2 cloves of crushed garlic, splash of soy sauce, tomato sauce and worcestershire sauce.
2 tsp chopped fresh oregano 1 egg, lightly beaten 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley 11/2 cups fresh breadcrumbs 1 tsp baking powder.
( Baking powder holds them together).
Method:
Mix together well using wet hands Season to taste with salt and freshly ground black pepper
Form the mince mixture into round patties about 15mm thick.
Place the patties on the BBQ and cook for 5 minutes on each side, or slow cook in frypan on stove top using med heat until golden brown.
Drain on paper towels and serve.

lindymf55, Aug 15, 7:14am
What wonderful responses.

I've been told that I need to eat more protein, so the mince patties will be good to have at lunchtime, along with a salad or some veges.

Thank you all so much.

tehenga288, Aug 15, 10:15am
I only use top quality mince and barely any other ingredients. To mince add some finely chopped onion, S & P, and some finely chopped Italian parsley. Mix well using your hands - really need to squelch it through your hands. Take portions and form into firm balls and flatten into patties between the palms of your hands.
There is no binding agent, it's all in the kneading.

cgvl, Aug 15, 11:02am
I add carrots and courgette grated into mine, helps to make the mince go further. Can also add grated potato and if you like add curry powder and grated apple. Cheese too if you like for the protein as well.
I make them hamburger size, slightly smaller to have with vegies and also a ping pong ball size for dipping.
You can use pork mince and roll up in rice paper for dipping as well.

willy911, Aug 15, 11:44am
French onion soup mix 1 packet to 1 kg

jezabell, Aug 15, 12:13pm
my meat patties are the best ever the family tell me LOL
Lean mince (I am spoiled we have our own)
cut up heaps of onion
grate in a carrot
grate in a courgette
a handful of frozen peas
squeeze of tomato sauce
squeeze of sweet chili sauce.
One egg
shake of tuscan salt and a shake of garlic.
and bind with some fine breadcrumbs.

Squeeze it all up in your hands to mix and mix thoroughly.
I fry mine in nice solid round patties.

Sometimes to be a little different I put a chunk of cheese in the centre and make patty around that so it is cheezy in the middle when eaten.
Other times I grate a spud into the mix too.
The vegies make the patty moist.

jezabell, Aug 15, 12:16pm
yeah sounds similar to the ones I do.

twelve12, Aug 15, 8:52pm
Not meat patties, but making a dry, spicy mince, and mixing it with couscous, goes beautifully a simple salad.

smallwoods, Aug 15, 9:48pm
I love grated beetroot in mine, any grated vege is good.
I prefer pork mince, binds better.

lindymf55, Dec 30, 8:59am
Thank you everyone. Got lots of ideas that I would never have thought of.

You are all stars. :)