Can I use marg not butter for baking biscuits?

vmax2, Aug 7, 1:49am
Adding plastic to biscuits might make them crunchie. Margarine is one step away from plastic.

kay141, Aug 7, 1:57am
I don't bake but have seen recipes which use margarine. You need to make sure it is really margarine and not table spread as that won't work.

And regardless what others may say, it is not one step/ molecule away from plastic, the main ingredient of a proper margarine is vegetable oil. Plastic is made from a different oil entirely and is closer to petrol.

Perhaps a Google search may help.

cgvl, Aug 7, 4:22am
Yes you can use marg instead of butter. I prefer butter in baking but just lately have found its too expensive to continue so swapped to marge again. Does the baking taste different? Not really or at least not enough for this household to notice.
I make sure I cream it well with the sugar, have had no problems but will not use it if the recipe says to melt butter.
I use either meadowlea or Sunrise but not the really cheap ones.

kiwikid1, Aug 7, 4:34am
used margarine heaps over the yrs i often use marg still if have run out of butter. When making slices i make them a bit mositer than would with butter as seem to dry faster and crumble. Never had problem with cakes or biscuit as person above said cream well with sugar

kids4ever, Aug 7, 5:06am
i don't use butter at all,only ever use Margarine & so does my daughter, just made an apple sponge pudding, had to melt butter, but melted marg, perfect

davidt4, Aug 7, 5:17am
Only if you don't care what they taste like.

lilyfield, Aug 7, 6:27am
Have never used butter for baking
And the family gobbled the goodies

music_note, Aug 8, 7:49am
Margarine only here - whatever is cheapest - no-one notices any difference in flavour.

wendalls, Aug 8, 8:50am
I think expert bakers notice but those who are used to eating Griffins or Arnotts wouldn't.

village.green, Aug 8, 11:22pm
We only use butter in this house but my MIL uses Flora and I must admit the biscuits don't taste as nice, can't tell in cake though if it has lots of other flavourings, ie spice, fruit etc. Pastry is not as nice either.

whitehead., Aug 9, 5:54am
you can but you will miss the taste of butter

family007, Aug 10, 3:54am
Use Flora Buttery. Cheaper than butter and tastes just as good.

valentino, Aug 13, 1:48am
Check out this latest research news re Margarine.

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/lifestyle/news/article.cfm?c_id=6&objectid=11495970

sampa, Aug 13, 2:50am
General rule of thumb might go something like this - if your baking is destined to end up at the local bake off competition or similar - use butter. On the other hand if the 'appreciative audience' that your lovingly made baking is going to involves kidiwinks, bottomless teens or men that can't tell an anzac bickie from a louise cake in the first place then, by all means, use whatever suits your budget and preferred cooking methods best. they'll still think you're The Worlds Best Cook cause you baked it just for them when you could have opted to simply open a packet of something. :)

vmax2, Aug 13, 8:32am
Why butter is fine but margarine could kill you.

susievb, Aug 16, 10:42am
I use oil -canola oil, or margarine when creaming sugar is needed, and as for it could kill me piffle, l'm going to die of something but l doubt it will be from eating margarine.

patxyz, Dec 27, 5:11pm
Do we have 'margarine' in NZ?
How many spreads on the NZ market have trans fats (in sufficient quantities to be a 'problem')?