Coconut flour

rupps, Nov 5, 12:52am
I'm new to this whole coconut flour & oil thing, so I made a banana cake the other day ( which always turns out absolutely yum) using only coconut flour instead of normal flour. It was very dense and had a rather un-appealing taste and I got quite bad heartburn too. Nobody else liked it either so I threw it out to the birds. Am I supposed to use it in conjunction with normal flour? I'm reluctant to try anything else now, incase I have another disaster. Any tips please?

davidt4, Nov 5, 1:16am
Coconut flour cannot be substituted for wheat flour as it has completely different characteristics. It is coarser, much more absorbent, and has no gluten. You have to use recipes that have been specifically designed for it; you will most likely find these in low carb books and web sites.

I'll see if I can find a recipe I used to make for cheese muffins with coconut flour.

rupps, Nov 5, 2:53am
Thank you. I wish I had done my research before I wasted all my other ingredients LOL

jan2242, Nov 5, 3:46am
Most recipes using coconut flour have lots of eggs. Recipes I have made all end up tasting too 'eggy' for me.

tjmc, Nov 5, 4:17am

davidt4, Nov 5, 4:51am
Cheesy Muffins
• 65g butter, melted
• 45g (1/3c) coconut flour
• 4 eggs
• 1/4t sea salt
• 1/4t black pepper
• 1/4t baking powder
• 75g sharp cheddar cheese, grated
Method
• Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
• Brush ramekins or muffin tray with a little of the melted butter.
• Beat together eggs, butter, salt and pepper.
• Add coconut flour and baking powder, whisking into the batter until there are no lumps.
• Stir in the cheese.
• Spoon batter into 5 ramekins or 6 muffin moulds and smooth tops.
• Bake for 15 minutes or until firm.
• Let cool completely.
• Store in the fridge
Notes
• These make excellent burger buns, or serve them with butter for morning tea. They are also a very good replacement for cornbread to serve with chile or other stews.
• Total carbs approx 11g, 1.8g per muffin

timturtle, Nov 5, 5:34am
I would use a combination of coconut flour and almond meal, I don't have a recipe sorry

wendalls, Nov 7, 12:21am
I've just made that banana bread thanks TJMC. Very nice. Extremely light in texture which I was not expecting! I used coconut sugar. Not overly sweet as you would expect from a "bread" recipe. Nice with my unsalted butter. I can't get used to salted butters and blends after using a bit of unsalted for awhile. Strange as I usually like things very well seasoned.

quarterpasttwo, Nov 7, 10:30pm
I've used it as a coating on baked chicken wings and on crispy chicken instead of flour and it comes out ok you need to have a liquid to stick it to meat first or it falls off :)

coolnzmum, Nov 7, 10:55pm
You also need to be very precise in your measurements my daughters tell me. Guesstimates don't work.

guinevere2, Jul 11, 3:16am
I just made these cheesy muffins tonight- yum! Thanks for the recipe, i've been looking for something to use instead of cornbread and these are perfect.