Slow cooker cakes

fifie, Jul 17, 1:17am
Have tried a cake with pkt cake mix and tin fizz in s/cooker it was ok but I didn't like the heavier texture. Same with bread, because ive baked for years i'm prolly fussy lol, belong to the f/b group to and lots love the cakes they make. Think some of the cookers they get in oz cook a lot hotter than ours do. The pav is good had success with that, very marshmallow not crispie. Good if you like that. Self saucing puds are yummy.

uli, Jul 17, 3:48am
I have a bigger and a smaller slow cooker and the smaller one cooks much hotter (and faster) than the big one.

pom4, Jul 17, 5:22am
ive heard people are baking cakes in their slow cookers with just a cake mix and a cup of coke only. anyone here tried it and does it actually work?

gardie, Jul 17, 7:25am
Haven't tried that recipe but I did make a carrot cake in mine very successfully. I don't like the idea of adding more sugar to the already sweet cake mix.

calista, Jul 17, 7:56am
I have made a carrot loaf that turned out well.

niffer13, Jul 17, 8:50am
So how long do you cook them?

tazdevil38, Jul 17, 9:11am
Use sugar free soft drink or soda water. It's the carbonation that you need, not the sugar.

tazdevil38, Jul 17, 9:13am
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SlowCookerRecipes4Families/?fref=nf

Join this group. I am in it and there are awesome recipes.

bunny51, Jul 17, 8:43pm
The Alison HOlst slow cooker books, and the ALison Gofton slow cooker books both have recipes for cakes that can be cooked in the slow cooker. DOn't think I would add a can of coke to a cake mix, I would have thought that the coke would over power the flavour of the cake, especially if you used a plain or light flavoured cake.?

bunny51, Jul 17, 8:45pm
Or it might be a Robyn Martin slow cooker book Can't remember and am too lazy to go look. There is another one too, by a lady who originally wrote a book for crock pots about 20 or so years ago, but it has since been updated and revised. (Somebody Brown I think)

tazdevil38, Jul 17, 9:29pm
That's why I suggested using soda water. It's tasteless.

245sam, Jul 17, 10:37pm
bunny51, I think you're thinking of Joan Bishop - she, I understand, wrote the first Crock-Pot recipe book here in N.Z., and it has since been as you say "updated and revised" several times. :-))

kiwilion, Jul 17, 11:15pm
Here are also 75 tried and true recipes to choose from.-

http://www.food.com/recipe-finder/all/slow-cooker-cakes

2spotties, Jul 18, 2:37am
Yes I make Alison Holsts carrot cake in my slow cooker takes about 2 - 3 hours. Very simple and easy

2spotties, Jul 18, 2:38am
Yes I make Alison Holsts carrot cake in my slow cooker takes about 2 - 3 hours. Very simple and easy to make. Happy to track down recipe if you like

bren16, Jul 18, 5:00am
Yes Please! . Yum.

bunny51, Jul 18, 10:32am
Yes, that's the book I was thinking of.

2spotties, Jul 19, 5:02am
2 large eggs
1 cup tightly packed brown sugar
3/4 cup canola oil
1tsp vanilla essence
1 1/4 cups flour
2-3 tsp cinnamon
2-3tsp mix spice
1 tsp baking sod
1/2 tsp salt
2 Cups firmly packed grated carrot
Coat inside of slow cooker bowl with non stick spray. Turn to HIGH then line the bowl with baking paper (have it come up the sides quite a bit so easy to remove the cake)
Measure the eggs, brown sugar, oil and vanilla into a food processor and process until creamy.

Measure dry ingredients into the food processor, add grated carrot and process in bursts until everything is blended but not over mixed.

Pour mixture into paper lined bowl cover and cook for 1 3/4hr with out taking lid off. As it will cook from outside towards the centre jiggle the cooker gently after this time to see if the centre has set. When you are confident that it is cooked in the centre take off the lid leave it to stand for 15 mins longer then turn onto a cooling rack. You can also test the cake with a skewer.

Ice when cold.

I have successfully added walnuts to this recipe but have not tried dried fruits as I think maybe they would absorb too much moisture from the cake? Don't know sorry and I like a more spicey cake so add the 3 tsps. of cinnamon and mix spice.
I have a oval slow cooker and have found it takes a lot longer than the 1hr 3/4min time in this recipe but I have never over cooked it as it just seems to stay moist. Have forgotten about it once and it was in there for almost 4 hours and it was fine.

bren16, Jul 19, 5:09am
Thankys 2spotties.

2spotties, Jul 19, 5:10am
have been wanting to try this one too - it is a pudding so maybe not what you are after but sounds easy and yum and a good use of the slow cooker.

Chocolate self saucing pudding

1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup canola oil
1 Tbsp vanilla essence
1/2 cup choc chips

SAUCE
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 1/2cup boiling water

Turn slow cooker to HIGH and coat inside of the bowl with non stick spray

Sift the flour, sugar, cocoa and salt into a large bowl. In a separate bowl whisk the milk, oil and vanilla together. Pour them into the dry ingredients, then fold everything together gently until just combined. Sprinkle in the choc chips and stir just enough to incorporate them. Pour or spoon the pudding batter into the slow cooker.

Make the sauce by combining the sugar and cocoa powder with the boiling water. Stir or whisk to ensure there are no lumps, then carefully pour the sauce over the batter , getting as much as possible around the edges rather than all in the middle.

Cover and cook for 2-3 hours. When the middle feels about as firm as the edges it is ready. Leave to stand for 15-20 minutes before spooning out and serving with cream or ice cream.

bunny51, Jul 19, 9:46am
I have made that in the slow cooker and it is very nice. My kids like it when I make that

karlymouse, Jul 19, 10:17am
I think it might be Rowan Bishop

wron, Jul 20, 11:22am
Pretty sure John Bishop's new edition book gives 2 times for her recipes, 1 for the original crockpots and another for modern faster slow cookers.

uli, Feb 25, 7:48am
That would be a great help.