High tea ideas

julz29, Apr 13, 7:03am
Where I work we put on a high tea twice a week for our residents I'm finding it hard coming up with new ideas any suggestions please recipes? Thank you

murfee, Apr 13, 7:17am
I did a high tea for my friend who turned 94 last birthday. As well as her favourite carrot cake birthday cake we had cucumber sandwiches with homemade cream cheese and savory pinwheels - sheet of puff pastry spread with relish, sprinkle with ham and grated cheese roll up, slice and bake - yummo, also had vol-u-vents with bacon and mushroom filling thickened with cornflour and also club sammies - always a favourite :-) And of course we had bone china tea cups and a silver teapot, milk jug :-)

rainrain1, Apr 13, 7:21am
cinnamon oysters

asue, Apr 13, 9:36am
What about a themed high tea? Movie stars - so something famous to eat from a movie, a country theme - chunky sandwiches, or a season theme - like summer so coconut clusters and cheese and pineapple sandwiches. Cruise ship high tea, cup cakes like boat sails, blue table decorations. High tea from a decade - 70s and a fondue for food. You are only limited by your imagination.

sampa, Apr 13, 11:06pm
Google the recipe for Coronation Chicken used as a sandwich filling for a different, but quite traditional, afternoon tea addition.

punkinthefirst, Apr 14, 7:45am
Have you asked your residents if there is anything they miss that you could make?
More suggestions - sponge cake, light tennis cake, seedy cake, a nice moist chocolate cake, ginger cake, scones cut as circles, with cream and strawberry/raspberry jam. None of the above need icing.
Club sandwiches, rollups, sandwiches cut in triangles and small squares - always small, and never with crusts.
Plain home made biscuits, cookies and slices. Eccles cakes. Apple,apricot shortcake or fly cemeteries.
Queen cakes, butterfly cakes, cupcakes (you can buy some pretty sprinkles these days). Old fashioned cheesecakes - the sort with a pastry base, a dob of jam and a butterfly cake mixture baked in a muffin tin.
Buttered fruit, lemon, ginger, date etc., loaf.
Dredging up old ideas from the past, here. You don't need all of them at once, and I'm sure your residents will have some favourites.

duckmoon, Apr 14, 8:17am
when I do high tea at home. everything item of food, just a single bite.

not sure whether you have time to do that at a rest home. but only two or three bites, not any more

duckmoon, Apr 14, 8:18am
club sandwiches, asparagus rolls, chicken rolls, cream cheese and ginger.

neenish tarts, lemon tarts (same pastry cases, with lemon honey)
fairy cakes

bev00, May 17, 11:45am

crails, May 17, 5:22pm
Baby pecan pies done in mini muffin tin

bev00, Apr 27, 10:53am
Alison Holst’s CINNAMON OYSTERS
From Alison “Cinnamon oysters are not difficult to make, as long as you measure carefully.”
For 12-18 cinnamon oysters:

2 large eggs, separated
pinch salt
½ cup minus 2 tbsp caster sugar
1 tbsp golden syrup
½ cup plain flour
1 tsp cinnamon
¼ tsp ground ginger
½ tsp baking soda

Turn the oven to 180°C (350°F).
Beat the egg whites with the salt until foamy. Add the sugar and continue beating until the whites are stiff and the mixture forms peaks with tips that fold over when the beater is Iifted from them.
Measure the golden syrup using a household spoon. Dip it in hot water, then measure a slightly rounded spoonful. Add the syrup to the whites and beat until well combined. Beat in the egg yolks.
Sift together the carefully measured dry ingredients and fold into the egg mixture with a knife or flexible stirrer.
Lightly butter or spray shallow patty tins, and spoon in rounded household tablespoons or dessertspoons of the mixture.
Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the centres spring back when lightly pressed.
(They will dry out, toughen and shrink if overcooked.)
Cool slightly in the patty tins then gently turn them to loosen, or run a knife around them. Cool on a wire rack.
Cut through, leaving a hinge, using a sharp serrated knife. They may seem tough and leathery at this stage, but they soften once they are filled. Fill with plain or vanilla-flavoured, lightly sweetened whipped cream, and leave to stand for about an hour to soften. Freeze at this stage if you like. Before serving, dust with sieved icing sugar.
To freeze, place uncovered on a flat plate or tray in the freezer, until hard, then pack into a container and cover tightly. :-))

245sam (49 49 positive feedback) 1:19 pm, Thu 26 Jun #2
P