Stem Ginger where to buy

glynsmum, Jul 29, 5:40am
I live in Blenheim tried Countdown?

samanya, Jul 29, 7:08am
stem ginger, or root ginger?
Root ginger is readily available.
I don't know that there's a difference . & if I'm wrong, betcha there be someone in this thread PDQ to correct me.

unknowndisorder, Jul 29, 7:38am
stem ginger is preserved ginger in a sugar syrup.
http://www.jamieoliver.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=28636#sv6BGpAxszzldq2X.97
(I actually thought we'd had this question recently, but nothing came up, so must have been something else lol)

Not sure if it would be in veges, fruit or baking aisle (only eat root ginger because I like grating it) :)

sorry for letting you know you're wrong Samanya, I admit to googling though :)

nauru, Jul 29, 7:50am
Try NW if you have one there, they sometimes keep that sort of thing.

245sam, Jul 29, 8:41am
Our local Bin Inn used to stock stem ginger - not sure if it still does as I haven't noticed and I haven't actually looked for it either; however I note that there appears to be no Bin Inn in Blenheim so like nauru my suggestion is to try New World - if your local New World is anything like ours it will have a fairly comprehensive International Section and that's where I suggest that you try glynsmum.
Otherwise, my other thought is. have you considered buying the stem ginger on-line?
e.g. http://affordablegourmet.co.nz/product/opies-ginger-syrup/ Hope that helps. :-)) Edited to add. or would you consider making the stem ginger yourself?
http://www.bite.co.nz/kitchen-tips/ask-peter-gordon/1340/Ask
-Peter-How-to-make-stem-and-crystallised-ginger/

thewomble1, Jul 29, 9:54am
Try the 'international' section.

eljayv, Jul 29, 8:27pm
I have bought it from New World supermarket

glynsmum, Jul 29, 10:35pm
Thanks everyone will have a look in New world next time I'm in town and thanks245sam might have a go if I can't get it there.

samanya, Jul 30, 1:38am
"sorry for letting you know you're wrong Samanya, I admit to googling though" . no worries.
I use a lot of raw/stem ginger too & I have discovered that Binn Inn have the most delectable glacé ginger, without the horrible hard sugared coating that the packet glacé ginger has.

245sam, Jul 30, 3:28am
samanya, I agree absolutely re Bin Inn's ginger and except for raw ginger I prefer to buy our ginger only from there. To assist with any feelings of travel/motion we both like there to be some ginger available in the car and a little while ago found that our Bin Inn supply was finished and in an area where there was no Bin Inn so bought some at the nearest supermarket. The rock-hard/over-dry and over-sugared little pieces were so awful compared to the lovely big flavoursome appealing ginger that we had been used to from Bin Inn. :-))

samanya, Jul 30, 5:00am
It is great isn't it? I like popping some finely chopped glacé ginger into muffins & Feijoas go particularly well with it (I have trouble not nibbling away, while I'm preparing it).

glasshalfull, Oct 13, 8:57pm

summersunnz, Oct 15, 9:30am
Rachel Allen used stem ginger in a loaf recipe today - and drizzled the .liquid from the jar over the hot loaf, looked delicious.

glasshalfull, Aug 30, 2:47am
Stem ginger is so delicious. I love it in a fruit salad. gives it such a lift in taste!